Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jeltz

Gee_G wrote: »
    Also when your neighbour takes it upon themselves to level the snow on the road with a mini digger.that's right, level, not remove! That year was really fun! :(
    Jesus you were lucky is right!

The irony is they are often trying to be helpful. That is what they do in seriously cold countries with snowy winters. Except that winter tyres are legally mandated so people can drive on it. Not so here of course.
    I find mounds of snow on country roads where they have been dumped by farmers without thought. They can last for weeks like lumps of concrete because the snow may go but on the hill it doesn't really get warm enough to melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jeltz

Karsini wrote: »
    That's what I'm worried about, the slow solar activity of recent years. :(

If it is any reassurance so far it is like it was in the Dalton Minimum not in the colder Maunder Minimum. Though for people who feel the cold it isn't saying much.

• Site Banned Posts: 7 Dr SpudZ

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    i would do ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING for it to snow this year!! love the cold weather dark nights etc.. me and my hubboy also have a 1 year baby boy so it would be amazing for him to see his first white Christmas. So does anyone have any idea if its going to snow this year or be extremely cold?smile.png

(i hope so!)biggrin.pngbiggrin.png
    Look at you all excited and orgasmic over a bit of snow. Careful or you will cream your screen !!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

bcmf wrote: »
    For those of us who have to work outside regardless of the conditions I hope it doesn't. Seen enough of the stuff to last a lifetime.
    Also for those of us who live on a hill and get stuck every time it snows! :) I used to love it and always wanted it to snow....til I moved here :)

Or for those who simply have to get to work though out winter and the holidays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Calm down all. The last mini ice age (=minimum) lasted 30 years with famines and misery thrown in the mix with the cold. We'll have plenty of time to 'enjoy' our next minimum....sure it may already be here. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

qAtAL.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Chucken wrote: »
    qAtAL.gif
    Where is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

2013 is the 50th anniversary of one of the heaviest widespread snowfalls experienced in Ireland and the UK

If you are feeling all nostalgic about snow or what it was like to actually work in these conditions check out Geoffery Jones seminal film 'Snow' - one of my favourite films tbh...

http://youtu.be/jiHJW3cxTF0

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Can I just say -

i_love_cold_weather_tshirt-r4aa6e718040a44f183556c0a4c3c683d_f0czt_512.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Where is that?

Looks like New Zealand based on the orientation.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Just put the last few quid in my paddypower account on it being a white xmas in dublin. Should probably have bet against, so id be happy either way, but I couldn't resist putting it on the thing I love!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I would prefer not to have a white christmas, if everyone doesnt mind because I will either have to spend christmas day by myself or if i managed to get up all the hills the thoughts for being trapped with my family doesnt appeal.

Now having said that, my brother is flying home on christmas eve, which will absolutely guarantee cancelled flights and weather disruption all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Where is that?

That's the best GIF I've ever seen!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 martyfurey

Just want to say this is my first ever post on her and i can't bloody wait for the snow to be falling. it better come this year with last year being such an anti-climax. bring it on.

That's the best GIF I've ever seen!!! :eek:
    GIF?!:)

GIF?!:)

frabz-Eh-Doc-Thats-a-Graphical-File-Format-bd3744.jpg

Sponge Bob wrote: »

frabz-Eh-Doc-Thats-a-Graphical-File-Format-bd3744.jpg
    Ha ha, ok! Thought it might have been something simple like that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Bessarion

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    i would do ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING for it to snow this year!! love the cold weather dark nights etc.. me and my hubboy also have a 1 year baby boy so it would be amazing for him to see his first white Christmas........
    As the father of a 4 year old I would say that snow i wasted on a 1 year old. My kid experienced the snow in 2009 and 2010. Only the 2010 registered.....and just about.

I too hope for snow this winter, at age 4 my kid can properly experience walking in snow and throwing snowballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mrweatherman

just heard on 96fm here in cork that met eireann claim it will be a mild winter and the past cold winters were just by chance thing. BUT yet the government are stating theres over 1/4 a million tons of grit just incase!!! and ive spotted local county council going around with quads and have front plated fitted to take a plough! didnt take picture as was driving at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

just heard on 96fm here in cork that met eireann claim it will be a mild winter and the past cold winters were just by chance thing. BUT yet the government are stating theres over 1/4 a million tons of grit just incase!!! and ive spotted local county council going around with quads and have front plated fitted to take a plough! didnt take picture as was driving at the time.
    I'm not saying you're making this up mrweatherman but I take this story with a pinch 1/4 million tons of salt/grit. ME always insist that they don't do long range forecasts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

To be fair, 96fm is not worth it for traffic, news or weather, they are a song and dance station and everything is the same ding dong the witch is dead ~ be that a plane crash with hundreds of casualties, a hurricane arriving or a fundraiser for Edel House.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

A disappointing and vague prediction on the coming winter from Met Eireann. I was getting hopeful after the article said they now have 3 times the amount of grit needed for this coming winter.
    The Government has stockpiled three times the amount of gritting salt it expects will be needed to keep roads ice-free this winter, and is “better prepared than ever” to deal with severe weather conditions.
    Met Éireann weather forecaster Gerald Fleming said the winters of 2009 and 2010 were “extreme cases”, and such prolonged spells of cold weather statistically happen just once every 10 years.
    He added that it was not possible to forecast the weather any more than three weeks in advance, so he could not say whether or not severe temperatures could be expected this winter.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1109/breaking39.html

No good. GIVE ME SNOW DOOM!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

just heard on 96fm here in cork that met eireann claim it will be a mild winter and the past cold winters were just by chance thing....

Chinese whispers again! :rolleyes:

I don't think Met Eireann will claim anything of the sort or give any suggestions either way (unless within 5 to 10 days).

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

morebabies wrote: »
    A disappointing and vague prediction on the coming winter from Met Eireann.

... but there's no prediction in that article, at all.

Fleming is just saying that given our usual weather, a cold winter is statistically unlikely. Indeed, the last line there is him saying that any prediction over three weeks is dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

gothwalk wrote: »

Fleming is just saying that given our usual weather, a cold winter is statistically unlikely. Indeed, the last line there is him saying that any prediction over three weeks is dodgy.
    This time last year they were certain that there was no severe weather in sight and there wasnt. Strange that the UKMO and ECM 32 computer models are predicting blocking at the end of this month which is roughly 3 weeks away. Maybe I am grasping at straws but I think we will be in for a nice surprise - Easterly flow with wintry showers:cool:

gothwalk wrote: »
    There is, Fleming predicted he couldn't be arsed predicting snow for the next 3 weeks and could not be arsed predicting anything at all beyond that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

It's too early for winter. I was wearing shorts and a t shirt yesterday. Off the plane in Helena, MT and it's snowing and freezing. Supposed to get very heavy later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Friend in boston told me its snowing there :) very early for them to be getting snow, we often get cold winters herein europe dont we like when the eastern seaboard gets cold winters? there must be some correlation.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

I think 96fm have misquoted Met Eireann. They wont go beyond 3 weeks this year because blocking is predicted to occur at the end of this month which could bring us wintry weather (UKMO and EC32 day models). ECM seasonal models have predicted a mild zonal winter. Their 32 day presently contradicts the seasonal model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

A case of bad reporting, I presume they are taking what Gerald Fleming said and reading into it totally wrong.
    Met Éireann weather forecaster Gerald Fleming said the winters of 2009 and 2010 were “extreme cases”, and such prolonged spells of cold weather statistically happen just once every 10 years.

“If you look at the long-term trend, the winters have become much milder. We had a run of extremely mild winters through the late 1990s and the first decade of this century,” he said.

“Those two very cold winters that occurred in 2009 and 2010 were quite exceptional if you look at the 20 to 30 year period.”

He added that it was not possible to forecast the weather any more than three weeks in advance, so he could not say whether or not severe temperatures could be expected this winter.

Atricle above quote is from

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement