Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

@ Slidey "Poll is flawed, dense populace in Dublin will buck the poll in their favour":
    Why do you presume Dublin wanted National rather than regional?? If, as your post infers, we are only interested in Dublin, why then would we vote for national thread?? If we were to follow through your argument, the opposite would ensue! ;)

• baraca wrote: »
    What would they be basing this on bb? There own hunch or earlier model runs?
    A blend and their own opinion.
    I've a strong hunch it's not definitive with them ,just as tonights models arent either even though they are getting more and more inside the reliable[usually] time frame.

ME for instance have an awfull habit of doing forecasts at times on just one ecm run and having to change it again when that changes.
    Expect a lot of tweaking.
    Tonights day after tomorrow is one probability but by no means a done deal

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Its salt not grit thats important, we have endless grit supplies but limited salt. (this is for new posters who haven't heard before ) salt melts ire and snow down as far as -6 or -7. That is why it is primarily used instead of grit or sand.

Give me either i don't mind once it stops my car from leaving the road.
    It is not the snow that is the problem for me it is the less travelled roads with compounded ice all week where grit would have sufficed.

Keep the salt for the more experienced drivers in built up areas,it would be put to better use there ;).

Now new posters who haven't heard before be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

:mad::(:cool: i'm so confused, all this hyping up then the letting down again:confused: oh i think i'll just go to sleep:o wake me up if it snows:P if not let me keep dreamin:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

sdonn wrote: »
    The BBC aren't gospel....now I wasn't born back then but apparently they mad a bit of a boo boo in late 1987.

;) :P

lol boo boo would be right

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Really looking forward to tomorrow *Crosses fingers for blizzards to hit Kerry*

• Really looking forward to tomorrow *Crosses fingers for blizzards to hit Kerry*
    well the news 24 ukmo forecasthad plenty snow showers for there in their graphics late tomorrow and friday and thats their interpretation and the nae so enjoy :

nn folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

A blend and their own opinion.
    I've a strong hunch it's not definitive with them ,just as tonights models arent either even though they are getting more and more inside the reliable[usually] time frame.

ME for instance have an awfull habit of doing forecasts at times on just one ecm run and having to change it again when that changes.
    Expect a lot of tweaking.
    Tonights day after tomorrow is one probability but by no means a done deal

i also think that because the uk tends to see a good deal more snow than we do here, the bbc will err on the side of caution in that regard. so while ME will downplay the likelihood of severe snow - for fear that they'll call it wrong and send the country into a panic - the beeb on the other hand are more likely to say 'mega blizzard on the way - watch out' - and then when it's not so bad they can go 'phew, thankfully that one moved a little further west' and everyone will go 'yeah that was lucky but thanks for the heads-up in any case.'

Also, lets face it - at this point in time no-one can predict exactly where that low is gonna sit - and certainly not within a couple of hundred miles accuracy - so it really is a case of wait and see. maybe this time tomorrow we'll all have a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,274 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well the wind is picking up here now and some light rain after a dead calm today, as MT said. East Donegal.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Same here, the winds noticeably picked up and it started raining a while ago. Looking at raintoday the main front is still north of us but this seems to be the start of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Really hoping the worst of the snow in Waterford holds off until Saturday at least. I've all my Christmas nights out Friday night and one night was ruined by the snow last time! If it snows after that, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,280 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

alfa beta wrote: »
    I actually think I am - and I'm not really a big fan of......you know.....man love.....but hey, gotta try everything once!

-1 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ciaranm

How're you feeling MT?
    Nervous? I am.

Regardless of the outcome, I've really enjoyed your forecasts. Fair play to you.

BBC24 forecast seems to be mostly rain tonight and tomorrow morning, turning to snow after noon or so.

Norn Iron forecast.

Northern Ireland weather forecast - Met Office

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Cold front passing Northern Scotland now. Shows Sleet and Snow on its Northern edge.

http://yfrog.com/0zpolarfrontp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

K-9 wrote: »
    BBC24 forecast seems to be mostly rain tonight and tomorrow morning, turning to snow after noon or so.

Norn Iron forecast.

Northern Ireland weather forecast - Met Office

Does this not dramatically increase the liklihood that snow that falls on top of rain will not stick and will just mainly melt???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ciaranm

Does this not dramatically increase the liklihood that snow that falls on top of rain will not stick and will just mainly melt???

I'm no expert, but surely freezing temps will put pay to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

ciaranm wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but surely freezing temps will put pay to that.

Well hopefully but I'm a bit of a traditionalist and for as long as I've been snowfall in Dublin, if the ground was wet, the snow just melted...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mollymawk

Wind has swung around more Northerly, picked up to a F3-4. Still 7' on the window thermometer.
    That's the North West for you.....I think I can smell Weather!!!:D

Well hopefully but I'm a bit of a traditionalist and for as long as I've been snowfall in Dublin, if the ground was wet, the snow just melted...

Difference is the dramatic drop in temperatures, going on what MY posted yesterday.

BBC giving a wind chill of -8/-10 C. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Mollymawk

Yep, I'm just bracing myself for it! Hope the wind doesn't get up TOO high. Honestly, it's changing over the last couple of hours. Maybe I'm getting sucked in here, but to me it just feels like a veering wind that comes in front of squall.
    Here goes, I reckon! Another hour or two and we'll know all about it.

Check out this site for North Scotland.

http://trafficscotland.org/lev/

And click on Wick camera right at top.

Already artic conditions with snow falling. This is heading Irelands way once this cold front does a runner South.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,280 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Observations from Thorshavn (Faeroes) showing very strong NNW winds

ekvg 160350z auto 34037g56kt //// r13/m0300vm0300n r31/m0300vp1500u -sn few008/// bkn020/// m03/m07 q1017 refzdz rmk bkn012/// wind 850ft 34036g68kt 310v010=

snow -3 C winds NNW 37G56 knots, while at 850' NNW 36G68 knots

arctic front is about 2h north of Malin Head now, pre-frontal trough already passed. these will both accelerate now to 1200h.

My timing for frontal passage at Dublin to Galway 1230h, Shannon to Wexford about 1500h, Cork 1630h.

Windshift 2h or so before those times but arctic cold after front passes.

Looking at GFS, don't expect it to be the whole story for the forecast, these winds at Thorshavn seem a bit stronger than model would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

rilz wrote: »
    Check out this site for North Scotland.

http://trafficscotland.org/lev/

And click on Wick camera right at top.

Already artic conditions with snow falling. This is heading Irelands way once this cold front does a runner South.

Camera 924 - S Drumochter A9

image.aspx?cam=86

Looks pretty windy up there.

Check out Saturday into Sunday. Dubliners may be happy!

http://img10.imageshack.us/i/reci.png/ SAT

http://img441.imageshack.us/i/rir1.png/ SUNDAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

hmmm... I'm supposed to be flying into Dublin airport Saturday night...

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Timistry

Scotland is a white-out! The front is packing a punch anyway. Noe just wait for it to come our way so it can embarress ME:p

This is our cold front on doorstep!

http://yfrog.com/g0polar1p

See those showers packing in behind it - All snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Awful far east no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Opens one eye :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement