Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Link to IAA news update ... now closed till 11 am Friday

http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=93&n=96&a=860

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

dak wrote: »
    Link to IAA news update ... now closed till 11 am Friday

http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=93&n=96&a=860

Whats the point it isnt coming here... i am raging that it isnt coming here and going to london considering im closest to island in this island and in uk i am raging!!:mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

owenc wrote: »
    Whats the point it isnt coming here... i am raging that it isnt coming here and going to london considering im closest to island in this island and in uk i am raging!!:mad:

I wondered how long! :D

You mightn't get anything but there may be a couple of feet of ash on the hill behind you in the morning? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

can someone inform the aviation authorities this is a non event, and therefore there is no need for updates and warnings, seeing as it's not effecting Coleraine:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

DOCARCH wrote: »

You mightn't get anything but there may be a couple of feet of ash on the hill behind;) you in the morning?

Any chance of a few inches of ash in tipperary, any chance lads. Do any of the ash experts think it will last long:D:D

ahhh, I'll get my coat:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Met Eireann have this article up on their site now :

Volcanic Ash Advisory

15 April 2010

A new phase of the Eyjafjallajökull eruption in Iceland started during the 14th of April, where melt penetrated its way to the central crater beneath the glacier. Bad weather has been making visual observations difficult today but the plume of volcanic ash can be clearly followed on the weather satellite images.

Volcanic_ash_15apr.jpg

Volcanic ash has been observed in British airspace and the Aviation Services Division in Met Eireann have issued warnings of the ash penetrating Irish airspace to the east and southeast of the country this afternoon and evening.

The meteorological situation at present is that there is an anticyclone centred to the northwest of Ireland. The airflow is anticlockwise around an anticyclone, and thus the air is being steered down from Iceland to Scotland, down across England, and back around towards the southeast of Ireland.

Our weather models are indicating that it is going to remain dry over the next couple of days so we do not expect any significant surface deposition of ash in the short term. Ash and dust normally reach the surface through being washed out of the atmosphere by rain.

Next week the airflow will be more directly from Iceland to Ireland and the weather forecasts indicate that there will be precipitation so, if the eruptions continue, it is possible that there will be deposition at that stage.

http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=61

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

You mightn't get anything but there may be a couple of feet of ash on the hill behind you in the morning? ;)

Unfortunaey it will be wet ash and it won't stick. The sleet of the ash world, 'slash' is a good term for it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

AndyP wrote: »
    Unfortunaey it will be wet ash and it won't stick. The sleet of the ash world, 'slash' is a good term for it.

Very good....'slash'....was trying to think of a suitable word myself! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

OwenC = priceless entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Would any met-heads on here like to make a bold prediction on whether or not my Dublin-Fuerteventura flight will go ahead on Saturday morning at 7:20??? :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It is coming here though, we pissed off Iceland more than you did :p

Fizman wrote: »
    Would any met-heads on here like to make a bold prediction on whether or not my Dublin-Fuerteventura flight will go ahead on Saturday morning at 7:20??? :o

No one knows or can tell.

If ash stops being thrown up into the upper atmosphere in the near future, then maybe you will get there (if existing ash in the atmosphere disapates). If it doesn't stop then who knows how long flight restrictions will be for.

I'd actually say you may not be going on schedule. Even if eruption stops and airspace opens again, many planes are stuck in the wrong places so will take a little while to get back on schedule!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

MUSEIST wrote: »
    OwenC = priceless entertainment

Seriously this guy should do stand up or at least set up his own(c) you tube channel.

i dont give a **** what you lot think i can report you. You cant get me banned this time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

snowing heavily here in longford now.

oh no, wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Sun is shining here in West Dublin,might take a run out with the camera and see if we get a good red sunset around 20.00.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

lord lucan wrote: »
    Sun is shining here in West Dublin,might take a run out with the camera and see if we get a good red sunset around 20.00.:)

aye you do that.. you should get a good one.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

so are we expecting a spectactular sunset this evening?
    how will it affect it.

Pangea wrote: »
    how will it affect it.

sorry but it isnt coming to this island so i dont know why they are shutting the airports down south probably to copy the uk..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

sorry but it isnt coming to this island so i dont know why they are shutting the airports down south probably to copy the uk..
    Gerry murphy said on the news that our wind direction is turning directly from the north over the weekend so that we will be right in the firing line of the volcano, wheres my volcanic ash proof umbrella when i need.

Why do you keep saying this? The ash plume is due to spread into the south east during this evening and east overnight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Probably more due to the fact that a lot of flights are outbound into the UK and Europe.

Some smoke haze here at the moment, there must be bog fires around some place in the locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

how will it affect it.

It might not affect our view of the setting sun since the ash is mostly to the east and north of us. Maybe our view of the rising sun will be affected.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Why do you keep saying this? The ash plume is due to spread into the south east during this evening and east overnight!

Which is annoying considering i would be the closest person to iceland on here!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Which is annoying considering i would be the closest person to iceland on here!:mad:

Areas in Iceland that are west of the volcano are not getting anything either! Blame the current anticyclone which is pushing everything away for the moment, but I would expect a little to get trapped underneath the main cell in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

You can see the coast of Iceland from Donegal on a fine day if you look hard enough.

Gerry murphy said on the news that our wind direction is turning directly from the north over the weekend so that we will be right in the firing line of the volcano, wheres my volcanic ash proof umbrella when i need.

Yes but by then the ash will have gone its only a small mass of cloud so it wont last to sunday it'll barely last to tomorrow afternoon.

• Advertisement

AndyP wrote: »
    You can see the coast of Iceland from Donegal on a fine day if you look hard enough.

And you can see the clyde bridge from knocklayde on a clear day.. which is near glasgow!!! I CAN ACTUALLY SEE THIS PLACE.. i dont think any of you can see scotland from your house can you!!

Advertisement