Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mortgage - low fee for breaking fixed rate

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

BOI is still high compared to the competition. I’m with them because it was easy a few years ago. Looking to leave now.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

Akula wrote: »
    Got 2.8% offered this week for 1 or 2 years. They had to go back to the pricing desk though.

Thanks for confirming either way breakage fee way too high to get on that rate, might try again next month and see what they quote.

Although girl on phone told me that amount she quoted wouldn't be what we pay as by the time rates get changed could be a few days down the line so would be breakage fee for that day which who knows what will be then!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

bugsyb4 wrote: »
    Thanks for confirming either way breakage fee way too high to get on that rate, might try again next month and see what they quote.

Although girl on phone told me that amount she quoted wouldn't be what we pay as by the time rates get changed could be a few days down the line so would be breakage fee for that day which who knows what will be then!

Generally they send letter with breakage fee and valid for 7-10 days. Unfortunately UlsterBank take 2 weeks to do their post in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

Generally they send letter with breakage fee and valid for 7-10 days. Unfortunately UlsterBank take 2 weeks to do their post in my experience

Mmm so she was spoofing, was kind of the impression I got too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I am one year into a 5 yr fixed with PTSB 3.1%. When i called them I was told there was a breakage fee. Was i being spoofed or has anyone else in the same situation moved without any issues?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

This is hardly a bargain alert?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭b.gud

This is hardly a bargain alert?

If you actually bothered to read the thread I think you'd find it is. As well as sharing advice on how to break out of your mortgage to get a better rate, thus saving you money, there has also been advice about overrpaying your mortgage. I for one was unaware of this and am now doing it and stand to save €20k in interest on my mortgage over it's lifetime and pay it off over 3 years early. I don't know about you but I'd call that a bargain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

b.gud wrote: »
    If you actually bothered to read the thread I think you'd find it is. As well as sharing advice on how to break out of your mortgage to get a better rate, thus saving you money, there has also been advice about overrpaying your mortgage. I for one was unaware of this and am now doing it and stand to save €20k in interest on my mortgage over it's lifetime and pay it off over 3 years early. I don't know about you but I'd call that a bargain

Saying it's a bargain is like saying you own a ferrari and then someone telling you if you buy a mini you'll save loads on fuel. These are things that are known when purchasing something.

I'm always amazed how people sign up to 30 year contracts and don't even know the t's & c's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'm always amazed how people sign up to 30 year contracts and don't even know the t's & c's.

sounds like you're pushing 100problems

This is a thread about changing to a better rate mortgage and people are sharing the ins and outs and possible pitfalls. People are saving VAST QUANTITIES of money, hence bargain alert.

Was there much in the ECB statement today that might be worth holding off for a while to see if better rates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Saying it's a bargain is like saying you own a ferrari and then someone telling you if you buy a mini you'll save loads on fuel.

I'd say it's like saying that if you buy the same Ferrari but with a different color leather from the Ferrari garage in the next town, you'll save thousands.

Banks will never tell you how easy it is to switch rates or how cheap it is to get out of your fixed rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

mrcheez wrote: »
    Was there much in the ECB statement today that might be worth holding off for a while to see if better rates?

Interested in this also!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Money is going to be cheaper to borrow, so it should push prices up.

Really loopy land economics now, deeply negative interest rates in the good times and 80bn a month in qe.

What happens when there is a downturn, even a normal recession.

What is worse, what if this does not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 maggots_123

What was your old PTSB rate?
    I went ahead with PTSB this time given their cashback rewards.

I had just ended a three year fixed term at 3.4% which automatically went to variable 4%. They wouldn't budge for me and when I seen this thread and AIB were offering 2.85%, it was a no brainer!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 maggots_123

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Was anyone else left massively out of pocket by switching?

Only thing that caught me out was the cashback from AIB takes two months to kick in. I thought it was on drawdown like other banks, so I had to cover my solicitor fees myself instead of using the cashback as planned. So I'm short that money now until I get the cashback...

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Q&A

Hi there, we're in the final stages of buying a house. We were issued with a loan offer from PTSB a few weeks back and met up with the solicitor to sign various documents. The thing is the rate we agreed to has since changed, from 3.2% for a 3-year-fixed to 2.9%. Is it too late to avail of this newer rate? If not what is involved in switching over? We went through a broker, but haven't got a response yet. Thanks

If you've not drawn down your mortgage I would have thought it should be straight forward. Otherwise is there a cooling off period?

Did the contract specify a rate or a fixed term? You might be put on the prevailing 3 year rate that applies on the day. I would contact the bank directly. Also is 2.9% currently on offer or is it available from a specific date - if you're drawing down before the specific date just stay variable.

If you had to switch you could in theory switch on the same day as you draw down. The cost of switching should be zero given the base cost of the bank (draw down day) and current cost (switching day) would be the same. But why the back would make you jump through such hoops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

deco72 wrote: »

Power to the people! Everyone who paid a AIB breakage fee over the last few years is surely due a refund here. I would love to know if there is also a case for AIB refunding the cost of delaying a switch by quoting a high breakage fee. This could really be pandora’s box if the ombudsman looks into it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Is there anyway to verify the fee quoted by the bank? BOI in my case.

I know the formula but I don't know the 2 interest rates, R% and R1% but if I work backwards from the quote using the information I do have the difference between R and R1 is 0.72% which seems high to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Is there anyway to verify the fee quoted by the bank? BOI in my case.

I know the formula but I don't know the 2 interest rates, R% and R1% but if I work backwards from the quote using the information I do have the difference between R and R1 is 0.72% which seems high to me.

Call them up and ask.

I used the formula in my contract and worked it out at 3.5k.

I rang my bank (PTSB) and asked what the break fee would be and was told zero!!

Call and ask, it takes 5 minutes (then report back here!!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Call them up and ask.

I used the formula in my contract and worked it out at 3.5k.

I rang my bank (PTSB) and asked what the break fee would be and was told zero!!

Call and ask, it takes 5 minutes (then report back here!!).

I did call so I have the breakage fee, it's just bigger than I expected.

I then used the formula in my contract and worked backwards to work out the difference in interest rates, as these are the only unknowns, and I was surprised by the spread considering interest rates haven't changed since I took out my mortgage.

My BOI 3.1% 3 Year Fixed rate is coming to an end soon.

They've offered me a 2.9% 2 Year Fixed rate.

Anything better out there to consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

My BOI 3.1% 3 Year Fixed rate is coming to an end soon.

They've offered me a 2.9% 2 Year Fixed rate.

Anything better out there to consider?

Ulster bank 2.2% fixed for 5 years but you need to have a mortgage of €300,000 or more.

Millem wrote: »
    Ulster bank 2.2% fixed for 5 years but you need to have a mortgage of €300,000 or more.

ah.. mine is about 1/2 way through, so less than that.

Any others worth considering for sub-300K ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ulster bank have plenty of rates around 2.5 / 2.3

take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

ah.. mine is about 1/2 way through, so less than that.

Any others worth considering for sub-300K ?

If I was you, I'd contact a mortgage broker, give them all your details and they'll lay out all your options.
    It may seem like hassle to change providers but a lot of them offer incentives to move and it could save you a lot of money in the long run - well worth spending some time investigating your options yourself, at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

AIB have a 5 year fixed @ 2.5%.

What variable are you rolling on to?

All the fixed rates seem very low to me, makes me think a variable drop is on the horizon this year or next.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

Cyrus wrote: »
    ulster bank have plenty of rates around 2.5 / 2.3

take a look.

KBC are 2.25% for 2 year fixed if your LTV is less than 60% and you have your current account with them. Will give you €3k for switching. Total cost of switching is around €1,250 so you can make a little profit.

• Advertisement

KBC are 2.25% for 2 year fixed if your LTV is less than 60% and you have your current account with them. Will give you €3k for switching. Total cost of switching is around €1,250 so you can make a little profit.

Interesting, and roughly how long does it take to switch over?

Should I initiate the process about 1.5 months before the end of the fixed rate period, or just in latter 2 weeks?

Advertisement