Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Long length gym tshirt

Options
  • 17-02-2020 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

My fiance is in the process of losing weight. He has a lot to lose, but has already lost 15kg over the last four months solely through changing his diet which is fantastic and I'm so proud of him! He wants to start going to the gym now and needs to buy some suitable clothes.

My question may sound silly but he is extremely self conscious and would be very anxious about showing off too much of his body, particularly his belly. Would anyone know of any longer length tshirts he could get to start off with that would ensure his belly would be covered while working out, including when he lifts his arms above his head.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Try H&M online. They do t-shirts with a longer length at the back for women so they might do similar for men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

Invest in a base layer and wear it under the t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can buy t shirts in a "tall" size, which are longer. I got mine on amazon.

I dunno why these are so rare to see. I think its crazy that most tall people end up buying XXL t shirts which are like circus tents on many tall & lanky thin lads.

I discovered them when searching for long ones while cycling, I hate bending over and the shirt popping out at the back. Tshirts always shrink in the wash.

I mentioned these to a couple of lads who are about 6' 4" and they were unaware of them. I imagine they would be in those "big and tall" shops, but I cannot understand why they are not in the likes of dunnes. Like XXL you can get XT or XXT sizes.

https://www.bigclothing4u.co.uk/tall/tall-mens-t-shirts

• Registered Users Posts: 24,806 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve been wearing these the addidas climacool shirts the couple of years. When I started I had a bit of a beer gut but I never found them too tight or too snug. Just comfy. They wash well and last for ages. They go up to 2XL.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

rubadub wrote: »
    You can buy t shirts in a "tall" size, which are longer. I got mine on amazon.

I dunno why these are so rare to see. I think its crazy that most tall people end up buying XXL t shirts which are like circus tents on many tall & lanky thin lads.

I discovered them when searching for long ones while cycling, I hate bending over and the shirt popping out at the back. Tshirts always shrink in the wash.

I mentioned these to a couple of lads who are about 6' 4" and they were unaware of them. I imagine they would be in those "big and tall" shops, but I cannot understand why they are not in the likes of dunnes. Like XXL you can get XT or XXT sizes.

https://www.bigclothing4u.co.uk/tall/tall-mens-t-shirts

No way! This is a game changer. I always buy t shirts a size too big because they're not long enough.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

My fiance is in the process of losing weight. He has a lot to lose, but has already lost 15kg over the last four months solely through changing his diet which is fantastic and I'm so proud of him! He wants to start going to the gym now and needs to buy some suitable clothes.

My question may sound silly but he is extremely self conscious and would be very anxious about showing off too much of his body, particularly his belly. Would anyone know of any longer length tshirts he could get to start off with that would ensure his belly would be covered while working out, including when he lifts his arms above his head.

How tall is he?

But general advice: football/GAA shirts won't do the job. I can't understand why anyone would wear them to the gym. Go for cotton t shirts that are nice and lose around the chest and arms.

I ain't no men's health model, but i dress for comfort at the gym. Sleeveless t shirts and cotton shorts that are too big for me. It might be a bit early for that though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

No need for anything to tight at the gym and when I was heavy I just wore a normal t-shirt that was a size up. Even now I wear baggy comfortable clothes. Yes he will see plenty of men and women poured into gym gear but I find it uncomfortable. I know he is self conscious but truth be told no one will take any notice of him .. all gyms have all shapes and sizes..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Firstly, tell him well done and to keep going.

Secondly, size bigger, Under Armour "loose fit" in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Thanks so much everyone for your help. He got some of the long length tshirts in H&M which he likes and feels really comfortable in. He's average height but would be very self conscious about his belly showing when working out so those tshirts were perfect. We have both joined the gym for the first time in our lives and are looking forward to getting fitter.
    razorblunt wrote:
    Firstly, tell him well done and to keep going.

:) I tell him every day! He's lost 3 stone now since October and is feeling all the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Thanks so much everyone for your help. He got some of the long length tshirts in H&M which he likes and feels really comfortable in. He's average height but would be very self conscious about his belly showing when working out so those tshirts were perfect. We have both joined the gym for the first time in our lives and are looking forward to getting fitter.

:) I tell him every day! He's lost 3 stone now since October and is feeling all the better for it.

Great going for the both of you!
    I lost about 4 stone a few years back and never looked back, it's so worth it.

FWIW I also found gym classes specifically HIIT and weight circuit classes really beneficial both from a "i don't need to think about what I'll do they'll tell me" and pushing myself when seeing/working with someone fitter/stronger.

Best of luck to you both!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Personally I'd find gym clothes that are too baggy to be uncomfortable and a real nuisance. Always folding up and getting in the way and restricting movement.

Advertisement