Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise protection when sleeping?

• 19-04-2014 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey guys. I live near a lot of students and every once in a while they'll have parties until rather late at night. You guys know where I'd be able to find some noise cancelling stuff for sleeping? Most of what I know of wouldn't really be optimal for sleep. Hopefully something budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for but I use silicone ear plugs when I'm sleeping somewhere noisy.

The ones I use I get in Dowlings pharmacy out in Ardkeen but they probably sell them loads of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Rudi Montes

Thank you. How effective are they? Will they actually cancel out most noise or will everything just sound muffled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

pitty you have to buy noise protection in order to sleep. it isn't fair on you.

To be honest I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself right now as well, but it could be because I only got 2-3 hours of sleep tonight. They usually keep it to the weekends, which I appreciate, but there's no way I can go back to sleep now or else I'll throw off my schedule and work is going to be painful for the coming week.

I politely asked people to make less noise at 2:30am (which to be fair, after around 15min they did) and then again at 4:30am at another party going on in a different house, but nothing much came of it.

I figure easiest thing to do is to get noise protection. This weekend I have family over for Easter so it's just extra stressful because I want them to get a good night's sleep while they're here, but when I'm here alone the ear plugs will do just fine. Provided they actually work, of course. I can't exactly try them before I buy them without grossing people out, haha.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've used silicone ones and find them good. Boots also sell them (or did before)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Thank you. How effective are they? Will they actually cancel out most noise or will everything just sound muffled?

I find them very effective.

I used them in New York where there was a lot of street noise throughout the night and it quietened it down enough for me to sleep and I'm used to silence.

They won't 100% eliminate all noise but should be enough to help you sleep... They are less than €10 for 3 pairs so worth a shot anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭JPA

To be honest I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself right now as well, but it could be because I only got 2-3 hours of sleep tonight. They usually keep it to the weekends, which I appreciate, but there's no way I can go back to sleep now or else I'll throw off my schedule and work is going to be painful for the coming week.

I politely asked people to make less noise at 2:30am (which to be fair, after around 15min they did) and then again at 4:30am at another party going on in a different house, but nothing much came of it.

I figure easiest thing to do is to get noise protection. This weekend I have family over for Easter so it's just extra stressful because I want them to get a good night's sleep while they're here, but when I'm here alone the ear plugs will do just fine. Provided they actually work, of course. I can't exactly try them before I buy them without grossing people out, haha.

Um, call the guards, that's not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

If you know anyone working in a factory they should be able to get you a few pairs of earplugs for nothing, they literally cost a few cents so I hate seeing people paying a few euro in chemists.

I live by a noisy road and I can't sleep without them now. They seem to cancel out the loud kind of rumbling noises from far away but you can still hear stuff that's near to you like your alarm clock going off without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

Probably not the cheaper option but these block out the most noise by far. Far better than the chemist ear plugs. You would even have a better option to listen to an audiobook or laid back music.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Precision-Isolating-Ear-canal-Phones/dp/B001EZYMF4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398003653&sr=8-2&keywords=sennheiser+in+ear

I use them to study when the kids are running amok and they pretty much nullify the sound.

Nice idea about the free earplugs, I think I can get something from my workplace, yeah. Wouldn't hurt to try, if they don't work I can always get something else.

About calling the guards, believe me, I wanted to. My experience with parties like these though (granted, the experience I have is not from Ireland) is that they quiet down when the guards come and then slowly escalate to previous noise levels anyways. Do you think it would help the situation?

Again, if the earplugs work I'm honestly not too concerned. It was my first time moving to Waterford, so I blame myself for not knowing that students lived all around this apartment. I'll be sure to not make the same mistake again when I have to move out in a few months' time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement