Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Took me ages to find this place, searches keep bringing up places in NY!

Hope it's ok to leave a link, I'm going to try this place tomorrow, I'll report back later.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Waterford-Ireland/New-York-Burger-Grill-Co/108002269228861#!/photo.php?pid=146844&id=108002269228861&fbid=109603719068716

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I went to the uluru yesterday evening for food and pints and I was pleasantly surprised to see their menu had changed. It has'nt changed a whole lot but theres new things like crispy duck and sizzling chicken on the menu. I dont know if that is due to the chinese upstairs being closed but it was nice to see.
    I had the 8oz burger with bacon and cheese and it was fab. They may have changed the recipe for it becuase it was pretty good yesterday.
    They seem to be doing homecut chips too. They were lovely and served with relish on the side :)
    I cant remember if I mentioned the new york burger company in an earlier post but the place is so good I'll mention it again here! Best burger in the city bar none but that uluru burger last night comes a close second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

haha you have to laugh at crispy duck and sizzling chicken being new additions to the menu.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Took me ages to find this place, searches keep bringing up places in NY!

Hope it's ok to leave a link, I'm going to try this place tomorrow, I'll report back later.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Waterford-Ireland/New-York-Burger-Grill-Co/108002269228861#!/photo.php?pid=146844&id=108002269228861&fbid=109603719068716

Went there today, really impressed. Lovely decor, great service and the food was perfect. Burgers are enough on their own but of course I had to have the starters and chips all lovely.

Don't know why I didn't go there before, think it's because I couldn't see in and didn't know what kind of place it was. But ill be back again.

They had a poster for a special on the wall: 5pm - 9pm: burger, chips and beer for €9.95.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭durrus

Think about it another way - you book to stay in Cliff House and then when you try to book a table for dinner, they haven't got one for you because they have all been taken by people not staying in the hotel - how annoyed would you feel now?

Also, you can't compare Cliff House to the Raddisson in Manchester which is a much larger and primarily business hotel with fairly rubbish food it has to be said - the last time I stayed there we went for a pizza rather than eat the overpriced 'hotel' food for a second night. Cliff House is a true 5 Star experience on every level and compares more with a top hotel on the Amalfi Coast or Cote D'azur than a souless business hotel in Manchester.

The Old Convent, btw, is fantastic, rooms, welcome, dinner, breakfast - all excellent but I'll be surprised if you find it any easier to get a table there on Saturday nights.
    mozattack wrote: »
    I went to Cliff House last summer and couldn't have been more impressed. It was two weeks after I had went to Chapter One and following the meal I commented on how it deserved a Michelin Star - low and behold, 2 months later it was awarded.

Anyway the point is...

When we visited we went on a Sat night and it wasn't very full. We said we would go again in the Summer instead of A Taste of Dublin and tried booking twice. We were told that because we weren't staying they couldn't offer us a table. I was shocked about this, even proposed moving out to July. They said that wasn't the point, if I wasn't staying I couldn't book a table and couldn't only be put on the waiting list. I would then be told not 1 month, not 1 week, not 3 days, but the night before if I had a seat there!!

I think this is a disgrace. She asked me I would stay and I said it wasn't an option* so I couldn't proceed with the booking. It is typical, one top restaurant around and you would have to remortgage for one night to get there. They must be doing well if they can turn down €160 - €180 from us for the meal and drinks!!!!!!!

(I am going to the Old Convent instead)

* the cheapest room there is €220. Yes its 5 star but there is nothing in Ardmore and it is only a bed to lie in after all. Remember would be in the restaurant and bar for the night so paying €220 to lie down is not for me. To add context, staying in the 5 star Radisson Edwardian in Manchester for €101 for the night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Went there today, really impressed. Lovely decor, great service and the food was perfect. Burgers are enough on their own but of course I had to have the starters and chips all lovely.

Don't know why I didn't go there before, think it's because I couldn't see in and didn't know what kind of place it was. But ill be back again.

They had a poster for a special on the wall: 5pm - 9pm: burger, chips and beer for €9.95.

meanin to go down there for a while,might go in with the lack sat evening then so,people seem to think the grub is lovely down there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

Went to Belissimo last night for an early bed. Didnt really fancy cooking a dinner.
    Had been there before about 2 years ago and I didnt really like it then.

But I have to say last night it was lovely. It was 2 courses for 20 quid but the food was really nice. And the dessert was amazing! I got coffee after which was also dam good.

I would recommend it if you are looking for somewhere casual where you will get good food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

sorrywhat wrote: »
    Went to Belissimo last night for an early bed. Didnt really fancy cooking a dinner.
    Had been there before about 2 years ago and I didnt really like it then.

But I have to say last night it was lovely. It was 2 courses for 20 quid but the food was really nice. And the dessert was amazing! I got coffee after which was also dam good.

I would recommend it if you are looking for somewhere casual where you will get good food.

What did you have for dessert? My friends and I prefer desserts to starters so must check this out.

deisemum wrote: »
    What did you have for dessert? My friends and I prefer desserts to starters so must check this out.

I tasted both. We shared. So I had half a chocolate fudge cake with ice cream. I thought this was going to be really heavy but it wasn't. And the ice cream was really nice.

Then I had half a orange and chocolate cheesecake with a carmal flavoured base. This was amazing. The filling was so creamy and smooth. This was a little on the heavy side but it was my favourite of the two. This came with whipped cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Limeleaf offering ALL starters, ALL mains and Desserts for €5, €12 and €5 respectively.

Almost half price on some of their dishes, good stuff. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

I love The Cottage Bistro in Cheekpoint, I've been there a good few times. Their seafood is to die for, but they also do steaks and chicken dishes. Excellent choices of starters- duck sausage, barbecued salmon and gorgeous mussels in garlic butter.
    I can never pass their seafood pie for mains but my other half loves the sirloin steak or the chicken curry.
    We never have dessert so I cant comment on it
    Overall its a lovely place-its a nice treat:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 al20v

ilovetorun wrote: »
    I love The Cottage Bistro in Cheekpoint, I've been there a good few times. Their seafood is to die for,

I was there recently, and overall i had a lovely meal. But I was disappointed with the crab starter for nearly 12e.

-

During the week, I tired l'atmosphere for the early bird. 20e got you 3 courses and a glass a wine. I thought it was vgood value, and vgood food.

Had a lovely pizza and salad in Bellasimo recently..... it was delicious..

Plus one - this is where id go for pizza and they are very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I agree with the previous poster on Cliff House and Old Convent. Basically now restaurant in Waterford compares. They are in a league of their own. Incredible - a must

(although Cliff House will not take reservations on Saturday nights unless you stay there now! .... disappointing)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

Went to JD's steakhouse in Tramore tonight and was very impressed place looks great it use to be Hartlys I think, the staff are friendly without being over the top and are good at their job, the food was excellent, we ordered fillet and sirloin steaks which were served with a salad and baked or mashed potatoes or chips, 1 glass of the house wine a baileys and espresso coffee bill came to around 60

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Went to the New York Burger Co Friday night after reading the rec's here and I totally agree-got to be the best burger in town!
    We had the chicken wings to start with and I was sorry I got them to share, they were out of this world! Nice spicy wings served with a cool blue cheese dip.Def a must
    For mains I had the cheese burger and fries and the angus beef that's used in the burger was melt in your mouth good. Nice touch with the burger in a blaa, tasty cheese and relish served in the blaa

Excellent food, Excellent service, lovely restaurant-I will def be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Had lunch in the Uluru today and it was rank.Had beef curry and the beef was about 3 days old,the curry sauce was rotten.Won't be back.

Went to the New York Burger Co Friday night after reading the rec's here and I totally agree-got to be the best burger in town!
    We had the chicken wings to start with and I was sorry I got them to share, they were out of this world! Nice spicy wings served with a cool blue cheese dip.Def a must
    For mains I had the cheese burger and fries and the angus beef that's used in the burger was melt in your mouth good. Nice touch with the burger in a blaa, tasty cheese and relish served in the blaa

I doubt anyone bar is really interested in this but they do a vaggi burger that is a portobello mushroom burger in a blaa which is georgous. Best veggi fast food in the city. OH loved all the meat he had there the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

the portebello burger is fine, but we had the cheese starter as well, and both dishes were made from the same ingredients. lovely seperate but not together.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

Had dinner in the new chinese in the Manor Village complex. "Imperial Garden".
    The restaurant is fantastically decorated, food was absolutely delicious and staff were very friendly.
    Early bird menu 4 courses only £18.50 and the portions were huge!
    Definitely worth checking out lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

La Taverna High street Excellent and reasonable
    L'atmosphere Henrietta street, fine French Cuisine at reasonable rates.
    La Bohembe O Connel st Fine White linen service, quality food in a wonderful setting, Fixed menu €35.00 all in, a once in a while treat but worth it.
    The Lemontree Dunmore east deserts to die for
    The Thai in the Saratoga Woodstown , best Pad Thai around
    That's my top five in no particular order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Ms MEL

The new menu in Eddie Rocketts is pretty good and much better value than before. Now includes different salads, (the fajita one is so tasty and really filing), meatballs and chilli. Lots of meals for €10 or under and there are starters for €3!

Looking forward to trying the new Chinese by Manor Village, heard good things about it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 al20v

Had lunch in the Ivee in the Cove bar on the Dunmore Road during the weekend, Staff were very nice and the food was very good.

Recently had take out from Imperial Garden and wasn't impressed.The restaurant looks very nice, and the staff were friendly, but there's no reason why a sit down meal would be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I've had two take-outs and one sit-down meal at Imperial Garden and was very impressed. There's a great selection on the early-bird meal, so four courses for €18.50 is great value.

The staff were very friendly, one of them even came out to the lobby to help me entertain my son who wasn't happy in his high-chair. The surrounds and service were perfect.

The food was also lovely. The meat was very tender and the portions generous. Can't speak highly enough of it.

I doubt anyone bar is really interested in this but they do a vaggi burger that is a portobello mushroom burger in a blaa which is georgous. Best veggi fast food in the city. OH loved all the meat he had there the other night.

Sorry but lol. I know Im a big kid, no one else seemed to pick up on it!!

Was out in Jack meades recently and was fairly disappointed. The food out there is usually nice. I got the ranch burger with chips and salad. The chips werent cooked properly and the burger was incinerated along with the bun, the salad was okay though. Last time I was there the food was lovely.
    I miss the way they used to have the open BBQ though. Its all done in a kitchen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

MMMMMM that sounds yum. I'm staying in the Tower for work for a few days and this sound like the place to grab some food, would you mind telling me if Park Road is walkable from The Tower?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭south

detoxkid wrote: »
    MMMMMM that sounds yum. I'm staying in the Tower for work for a few days and this sound like the place to grab some food, would you mind telling me if Park Road is walkable from The Tower?

Take a left at the traffic lights at the front of the hotel and its about a 5 minute walk . Its on the left hand side just after the 3 ships pub

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

have to concur, the New York Burger Company is totally yum- the chips were particularly delicious nom nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

Just wondering has anyone had the same experience as myself in L'atmosphere restaurant recently.

Firstly I love the food there and go there a good few times in a year. I always found the staff and service to be excellent as well as the food.

However on my last few visits I have to say the service has gone down hill and one particular member of the waiting staff has totally put me off going back there. The experience I had last week was the last straw.

Myself and 4 of my friends booked a table for the early bird menu 2 weeks in advance. When we went there and gave he name to the waitress she spent 5 plus mins looking in book and saying of how the writing was small an she could not make it out etc. Eventually she found it and sat us at a table before first rudely informing us where we could not sit. She then went off and seated other people who had come in behind us. After 25 mins of passing us and serving and taking orders from people who came in behind us we all reached breaking point. We tried to get her attention a number of times and she totally ignored us. After a final attempt to get her attention we all decided to get up and leave. When she saw us leaving she was like oh ladies, ladies but my friend who last last out politely told her we were leaving. We ended up going some place else for dinner and had a lovely time.
    The waitress seemed to be on her own but including us there was only 10 people in restaurant so it is not like she was rushed off her feet and all she had to do was take our order and hand it in.

Talking to other people though and they have told me they have had similar experinces - nothing as bad as our's but rude waitress, not taking orders properly etc.

It is a pity as food is lovely down there and up to now I have never had a bad experience but I will go there again for a very long time or ever again. In the current times it is experinces like this they do not need. My friend who booked has rang the manager / owner and complained about the service so am waiting to hear from her as to what the reaction was.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Did you complain to the owner/manager? Maybe, they are not aware of this situation developing and if the fodd is as good as you say it would be a pity that one person kills the whole experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Has happened to me a few times alright where the location, atmosphere, food and everything else were very good but the waiter/waitress were rude and unwelcoming and wrecked the whole experience. If that's a regular occurrence, and it sounds like it is, then the management better nip that in the bud right fast.

Advertisement