Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

If I was after a meat dish, I wouldn't really try an Italian. I think its a bit much to be scared about where meat comes from in any restaurant in Waterford anyway. Regardless, I can't find anywhere in Waterford that does pizza like la Taverna. I love it. I agree though that it can sometimes be a bit cold in there, but I've noticed this in a few restaurants lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Trotter wrote: »
    The New York Burger place at the park is after adding a good few things to the menu. I had the chicken wings the other night, and some onion rings. Both were lovely. There's a steak sandwich on the menu too that I need to assess purely for the good of this thread. I'm good that way.

That place is a real hidden gem, no doubt the best burgers in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Went for the wine and dine in The Tower recently. Very nice house white, but the food and service was poor. We had starter, main, dessert, coffee and a bottle of wine in 55 minutes, fast food was not the word for it!

Starters were salty and less than fresh.

Mains were bland and unseasoned.

Desserts were good, with a savage pot of decent coffee. Pity the rest of it didn't meet this standard.

We weren't expecting first class but I'm sure theres better value to had for your sixty quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

walking down to the park with the family last sunday and saw this place down canada street. Ended up poping in for lunch. Results, service was excellent, food was amazingly presented and delicious and price was very good. Will be recommending it to others..

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

tower is sh£t just like all them large hotels who just want to get you in and out asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Faithlegg. Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!(not quite the city, but excellent none the less)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dreams aloud

Hey i kno this is a little off thread but does anyone know the phone number for the chinese above the uluru because can't find it anywhere! (golden pages, online, etc) Also the food still as nice as it used to be previously? Just if anyone can help i'd appreciate it.

Also to in reply to the actual thread, always find bodega great for an evening meal, been there twice this year & couldn't really fault anything, fish dishes are especially good. Also in Tramore the Banyan restaurant is great, lovely decor & fab food, definately worth a try if your looking for something a bit different. Again for a special occasion, the mill house in kilmacow is great for a meal in a beautiful country house with surrounding gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

I think the Chinese above the Uluru is called "Fan dynasty" and while I haven't tried it in months, the phone number use to be 051856902

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dreams aloud

Thanks Hifive, that's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mariemarie

Had a lovely pizza and salad in Bellasimo recently..... it was delicious..:)
    and reasonably priced... Dont mind paying as long as the food is good...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I've only just discovered this thread so I'll add my experiences of the various places around town.

La boheme: Fantastic place, its really worth going there. Food is very high quality, easily on par with fine dining. Without the cost.

Bodega: Was very poor. Myself and my gf both had sirloin steak for mains and it was very poor quality. Full of gristle and overdone. Overdone is something I can let slide but bad quality meat is unforgiveable. One of my friends had a game pie which was tasty enough but too reduced so it had become very salty. Everything else was just ok. Seems like its been run by accountants and not by the chef. Wont be going back again.

La'Athmosphere: Lovely, really intimate and the food is fantastic. Good value too.

Waterford castle: Fine dining at its best but is priced accordingly. The piano player in the corner was a little too loud though(both times I was there)

3 shippes: For pub fare its ok. I only really eat there on sundays and its after going downhill in the last couple of years. I have a feeling that the menu is being dictated by the owner and not the chef. Recession is really hitting there, I would'nt be surprised if the place closes.

halfway house: it ok once again for pub grub. 5 quid a dinner is fantastic.

Dooleys: I had varvery and it was lovely, nice and fresh and hot. I was there at 1pm though so the food did'nt have time to go cold.

Uluru: Poor menu but its coooked well. I've eaten there a good few times and have had everything on the menu. Once again I think the owner/manager should give the chef more leeway. The free food on various nights is good though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I went to Cliff House last summer and couldn't have been more impressed. It was two weeks after I had went to Chapter One and following the meal I commented on how it deserved a Michelin Star - low and behold, 2 months later it was awarded.

Anyway the point is...

When we visited we went on a Sat night and it wasn't very full. We said we would go again in the Summer instead of A Taste of Dublin and tried booking twice. We were told that because we weren't staying they couldn't offer us a table. I was shocked about this, even proposed moving out to July. They said that wasn't the point, if I wasn't staying I couldn't book a table and couldn't only be put on the waiting list. I would then be told not 1 month, not 1 week, not 3 days, but the night before if I had a seat there!!

I think this is a disgrace. She asked me I would stay and I said it wasn't an option* so I couldn't proceed with the booking. It is typical, one top restaurant around and you would have to remortgage for one night to get there. They must be doing well if they can turn down €160 - €180 from us for the meal and drinks!!!!!!!

(I am going to the Old Convent instead)

* the cheapest room there is €220. Yes its 5 star but there is nothing in Ardmore and it is only a bed to lie in after all. Remember would be in the restaurant and bar for the night so paying €220 to lie down is not for me. To add context, staying in the 5 star Radisson Edwardian in Manchester for €101 for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Anyone visit Old Convent yet?...comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

Not exactly a review but, I believe the old Poppys at the park , whatever its called now, is reopening as yet another ChipShop, with sit down area, being taken over by a local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭itsonlywords

flan59 wrote: »
    Not exactly a review but, I believe the old Poppys at the park , whatever its called now, is reopening as yet another ChipShop, with sit down area, being taken over by a local.
    Whaaat? A Nigerian man taking over the chipper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭south

flan59 wrote: »

I heard dooleys from tramore are opening it

south wrote: »
    I heard dooleys from tramore are opening it
    Well that will be good. Doolys have an excellent taste and is so clean. I would welcome them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

In Waterford now for a break, can somone recommend a good sea food resturant?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I went to Bodega last week with friends, not my choice. It was only average and expensive for what I got. I wouldn't mind the cost if it was something special but it was nothing to write home about.

On a side note to do with Waterford restaurants well they must be recession proof and packed to the gills and not looking for business. My son is making his confirmation this coming weekend so in my quest to book a restaurant for ourselves and extended family I emailed a number of establishments re confirmation lunches and only one place bothered to reply.

deisemum wrote: »
    I went to Bodega last week with friends, not my choice. It was only average and expensive for what I got. I wouldn't mind the cost if it was something special but it was nothing to write home about.

On a side note to do with Waterford restaurants well they must be recession proof and packed to the gills and not looking for business. My son is making his confirmation this coming weekend so in my quest to book a restaurant for ourselves and extended family I emailed a number of establishments re confirmation lunches and only one place bothered to reply.
    Not being smart now but I have found that when you email them , they do not bother. You need to call them. I remember for my daughter's confirmation, we had left it too late and just turned up at Johnny Fans place in High Street and bluffed it by saying we had booked for that time. They spent a while looking in the book and jabbering away. We looked so upset that they found us a place. Happy family. Wish you luck. BTW we were in Jack Meads last Sunday for a communion and while it is basic enough the food is honest and filling. Great smoking area and a playgound for kids.

• Advertisement

If they do not want to bother replying to emails then they shouldn't put their email address on their website with the usual Contact Us.

The only place that replied was Chez K's and they have a lovely menu but we're going outside the city as my son wants to go where one of his friends is going.

I do intend going to Chez K's in the near future but I will not be in any rush to the places that cannot be bothered to reply to people.

If they do not want to bother replying to emails then they shouldn't put their email address on their website with the usual Contact Us.

The only place that replied was Chez K's and they have a lovely menu but we're going outside the city as my son wants to go where one of his friends is going.

I do intend going to Chez K's in the near future but I will not be in any rush to the places that cannot be bothered to reply to people.
    Totally agree with you but I sent a few emails to business premises in town and got few replies. I find that phone contact is better.Good luck in your quest.Have a lovely day and hope the weather treats you well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 STM

JPA wrote: »
    That place is a real hidden gem, no doubt the best burgers in the city.

New York Burger Co really is one of the best places to eat in the city! It's good craic on a Saturday night aswell, and it says on their Facebook page that their chicken wings are the same recipe as Elephent & Castle in Temple Bar, they're deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

had a visit to wongsons chinese in high st (used to be johny fans) recently. it was fab. they do an all u can eat supper which works by you get a mixed platter for a starter to share then if you finish this totally you can get another starter each, then mains the same, if you finish that you get another! tea or coffee for €20 per person. really good value, the single course is plenty. they are very helpfull in there, i am vegetarian and never had as much choice as they gave me. i would well recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

STM wrote: »
    New York Burger Co really is one of the best places to eat in the city! It's good craic on a Saturday night aswell, and it says on their Facebook page that their chicken wings are the same recipe as Elephent & Castle in Temple Bar, they're deadly!

I have to agree. I absolutely love that little place. The chicken wings are the business. You get plenty of them (I hate mean portions anywhere) and the burgers are really nice. Its one of those places where you really get good value for the money you spend. I wasn't a fan of the chicken gougons I had in there one day, but theres so much on the menu now that theres always something I'd feel like having a go of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I met a friend in Harlequin cafe, Stephen Street for lunch on Monday and was really surprised at how great it was. Didn't really know what to expect from the place or menu and both of us opted for €10 specials from the blackboard. Excellent food, lovely sauces and a real fresh taste to everything. The guys working there were a great help too and I'll be visiting again this weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Harlequin is great. Iv only been there for lunch but it's allways good. Coffee is amazing there. Iv yet to go for an evening meal, soon hopefully.

STM wrote: »

Is that the place opposite the main entrance to the park?

My son made his confirmation today, we went to The Strand in Dunmore East and it was excellent. Everyone enjoyed it and came away full and happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Is that the place opposite the main entrance to the park?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Tried the Jade Palaces' Early Bird on Sunday. €16.50 for Starter, Main Course, Dessert and Tea or Coffee. Only 4 or 5 starters to choose from (2 types of soup, Spring Roll and a Shrimp Cocktail are the ones I remember) but there was a fine selection of main courses. I settled for Spring Onion and Ginger Stir Fry with nice big chunks of monkfish. Desserts are never something you expect much from in a Chinese but the presence of banana and pineapple fritters was a nice addition to the cheesecake and profiteroles that usually plague the dessert menus of all restaurants.

Service was very efficient but I have to admit it was very strange. One of the girls seemed to be taking a great interest in the affairs of others in the restaurant and making lots of conversation. When it came to us, however, she was leaving cutlery and plates at the opposite side of the table and not bothering to position it for us. The other staff were fantastic though and I would have happily paid a lot more for the food!

Advertisement