Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notes etc. - Do not post copyright material

• 21-02-2010 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

So we've been saying this for a while now that we should start a thread to put notes/phrases etc.I finally took it upon myself to start one seeing as we've been putting up a lot of notes here and there on different things so it's time to get them all together in one place beause I will never be able to find them come June.

So just throw up anything that you think will be useful on any of the JC subjects; English, Irish, French, religion, business, geography, whatever.

It's also another reason to be on boards - what it is study:p.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

So I suppose I'll get the ball rolling then with the first notes I've found lying round.

Dulce Et Decorum Est - Wilfred Owen
    -The title is taken from an old Latin saying "How sweet and honourable it is to die for one's country", as qouted at the end of the poem.
    -During WW2 it was considered deeply unpatriotic to criticise y
    the war effort.Wilfred Owen who witnessed a soldier dying, relives his death in a realistic manner.Owen uses this title in an unusual way.The entire poem disprovess and undermines what the title suggests.
    Theme: War, death as a consequence and the harsh realiy surrounding it.Owen provided us with a realistic view of war, not an ideal view.
    Stanza 1: -The soldiers are compared to "old beggars under sacks", "coughing like hags".This is an effective use of similes to hghlight the apearance and unhealthy conditions the soldiers are forced to endure.
    -An image of tired, worn-out and limping soldiers is presented in the following lines.
    -We heard sounds of the battlefield through Owen's description of the "hoots of tired outstripped Five-Nines".However, the soldiers are "deaf" to such sounds because they have become accustomed to the battlefield.
    Stanza 2: -Panic and cinfusion dominates this stanza.The soldiers struggle to put on their gas masks and helmets during a gas explosion.Owen creates a sense of panic throughthe use of language :"fumbling", "clumsy", "stumbling","floundering" and the outcry "Gas!Gas!Quick boys!".
    -Unforunately, one particulat soldier fails to fit his gas mask on time.H e yells out in desperation "like a man in fire or lime"
    -Owen compares the green gas to "a green sea".The soldiers find it difficult to see through the "misty panes and thick green light".This soldier is "drowning" in this "green sea" inhaling toxic gas.
    - The speaker in this poem endures terrible nightmares and feels helpless.Owen uses strong verbs to highlight the panic and indignity of dying on the battlefield : "plunges", "gutttering", "choking", "drowning"
    Stanza 3: - The speaker asks us to try to understand the grotesque aspect of war.In his "smothering dreams" he sees the dying soldier £flung" into a wagon.There is nothing sweet and honourable about the manner in which his body is treated.The soldier is at the point of death and Owen is haunted by the sight of his "white eyes writhing in his face".
    - Owen continues to describe the sounds of this man dying, "the blood come gargling from the froth-corrupted lings".This is a realistic depiction of a soldier dying.
    - Owen uses two similes to highlight this "obscene" and ""bitter" moment of death.
    - In the final lines Owen pleads to us in a passionate tone not to lie about the reality of war to those who are innocent and nauve in their view of war.
    Use of similes: 1."like old beggars under sacks"
    2."coughing like hags"
    3."floundering like a man in fire or lime"
    4."As under a green sea"
    5."his hanging face like a devil's sick of sin"
    6."obscenc as cancer"
    7."bitter as the cud of vile incurable sores on innocent tongues"
    Sound Effects: 1. onomatopeia (e.g. "trudge", "plunges", "guttering", "choking", "drowning")
    - This sound effect is used in order to create a sense of ar more vividly.
    - Sounds of the battlefield and sounds of the soldier dying are conveyed through onomatopoeic words.
    2.Use of exclamation marks and capital letters ("Gas!Gas!Quick Boys!)
    - adds to sense of panic/confusion
    - emphasises
    Title: -This poem has an interesting title, due to it's Latin origin and because the poem itself actually disproves and undermines the title.
    - Owen delibberately uses the first part of the old Latin saying - which translates as "How sweet and honourable it is".This translation doesn't give us and explanation and we are forced to read the entire poem in order to leard of the whole Lain saying - "to die for one's country"
    - A poet usually uses a title to reinforce the theme of the poem.However, in this case, the poet uses a title that actaully contradicts the central message of the poem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Nice one Aine! I'll put some up tomorrow!

DKZ wrote: »
    Nice one Aine! I'll put some up tomorrow!

Thanks.

All that typing took me ages though.I may put up more now though because I have a feeling that I am not going to sleep for ages...

The Lake Isle of Innisfree - William Butler Yeats
    Stanza 1: - Yeats longs to return to the island of Innisfree and live there by himself
    - He wshes to live a simole and selfsufficient life where he will build a small cabin "from clay and wattle made" and grow his own food and keep bees for their honey.
    Stanza 2: - He describes the tranquility of the island.The mornings are peaceful and filled with the sounds of crickets chirping.In the evenings he hears the flapping of the linnet's wings as they fly around the island.
    - At noon the purple heather glows in the sunlight while at night the glittering stars are reflected in the water.
    Stanza 3: - The island of Innisfree is always in his mind and in his heart : "I hear it in the deep heart's core"
    - He is always imagining the pleasant sounds o fit's waters : "for always night and day I hear it lapping with low sounds by the shore"
    - The thoughts of Innisfree is especially important to the poet when he is living in the city.The cold, grey concrete makes him long to return to the tranquility the island has to offer.
    Nature: - The poem celebrates the beauty of the island.It's alive with the sounds of nature.The poet refers to the chirping of the crickets, the buzzing of the bees, the flapping of the linnet's wings and the peaceful lapping of the water by the shore.
    - The poem also celebrates the visual aspect of the islan'd natural environment.The poet describes the glitter of the starlight and moonloght reflected in the water and the purple glow of the heather in the sunlight.
    Sound Effects: The use of sound effects enhances the sound and meaning of the poem.Sound effects mirror the beautiful sounds of the island.
    1.Alliteration
    - "a hive for the honey bee"
    - "live alone in the bee loud glade"
    - "lake water lappig with low sounds by the shore"
    2.Assonance
    - "I will arise and go now and go to Innisfree"
    - "cricket sings"
    - "noon a purple glow"
    - "and evening full of the linnet's wings"
    - "nine bean rows will I have there, a hive for the honey bee"
    - "a small cabin build there of clay and wattles made"
    - "low sounds by the shore"
    - "I hear it in the deep hearts' core"
    - "and live alone in the bee loud glade"
    - "for peace comes dropping slow"
    3.Onomtopoeia
    - "dropping"
    - "lapping"

- sound dominates this poem.
    - Rhyme- use of end rhyme, regular rhyming pattern
    - All of these sound effects add to our enjoyment and understanding of the poem.
    - Through the use of these sound effects and the sounds of the usland, nature is presented as magical, mysterious and powerful in it's appeal.
    What kind of person is the poet?
    - loves and appreciates nature
    - longs for solitude and a peaceful existence
    - private person who doesn't like the limelight
    - man of independence
    - resourceful and self-sufficent
    - proud
    - wants to escape modern living and return to a primitive lifestyla in a pre-industrialised age
    - tranquility and serenity appeal to him
    - ceative/imaginative
    - day-dreamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Sample answer on an tÓzón
    An tÓzón le Máire Áine Nic-Ghearailt

Rinne mé stáideár ar an dán "An tÓzón" le Máire Áine Nic-Ghearailt. Is é an mothúcháin/téama atá roghnaithe agam ná dúlra/nadúr.
    Phioc mé an téama seo mar tá sé le fáil ó thus deireadh sa dán. Is dán é seo a bhainean leis an timpeallacht agus na fadhbanna atá aige faoi láthair. Usáideann an file pearsantú sa dán. Tá an t-Ózón ag caint.
    "Mise an tÓzón."

Tá fearg air mar tá sé i mbaol. Rinne Dia an tÓzón chun an cine daonna a chosaint ón ngriain.
    "Chun tusa a shaoradh ó iomarca gréine."

Déireann an tÓzón go bhfúil daoine mí-chúramach, Is cuma leo cén dochar/damáiste dhéanann siad don timpeallacht.
    Bá coir dúinn bheith níos cúramaí leis an timpeallacht.
    "Aire a thabhairt, Don chomharsanacht."

Labhraíonn an t-Ózón go feargach. Baineann an file úsáid as an Modh Ordaitheach chun é seo a chur in cúl dúinn.
    "Ná loit rud ar bith."
    "Glac mo chomhairle."

Tá an tÓzon ag déanamh a dhícheall an domhain a chosaint.Tá fearg air go bhfúil an cine daonna ag loit an timpeallacht.

Is soléir ó na pointí thuas gurb é dúlra/nadúr an téama is trise sa dán An tÓzón le Máire Áine Nic Ghearailt.

• Advertisement

The longest thing I think I have ever type, all my irish notes some stuff my be a bit of a joke to some of ye but it's the best I could put together
    Irish phrases/Words for - letters, stories etc...
    Le breis - More than
    Is beag áit - Tis few places
    Thar an ngealach le gliondar - Over the moon with happiness
    Den chéad uair - For the first time
    Ní mó ná sásta - Not happy
    An chéad rud - The first thing
    Thug mé faoi deara - I noticed
    Ba bheag nar - Nearly
    Ní raibh oiread is - These wasn't as mush as
    Toisc/Mar- Because
    Ní raibh aon dara rogha agam - I had no other choice
    Taibhsíodh di - Seemed to her
    Le hiontas - In wonder
    Lig sé osna fháda - He let out a long sigh
    Gan tracht - Not to mention
    Lamh in uachtar - upper hand
    Ní fhéadfadh sé - He wouldn't be able
    De bhreis ar - As a result
    Scaití/Uaireanta - Sometimes
    Seafóideacha - Ridiculous
    Snag anála - Deep breath
    Aniar aduaidh - Very fast
    Diadh ar ndiadh - Bit by bit
    Gclaochlú suntasach - Remarkable change
    Cúraimí an tí - Responsibility of the house
    Ar bhealach - In a way
    Mar sin de - Because of this
    Gan smaoineamh - Without thinking
    Ba leor - Enough
    Tháinig mé uirthí - I came upon
    Bealach amháin no bealach - One way or another
    Marófar mé - I will be killed
    Gan choinne - Without warning
    Ná hábair é - Don't mention it
    Ar tí - About to
    Den chuid is mó de - Most of the time
    Gach uile chearn den tír - Every corner of the country
    Anonn is anall - Backwards and forwards
    Drogall - Reluctant
    San ám céanna - At the same time
    Géarghá - Real need
    Cogar - Listen
    Leag sé siúl ar - He layed his eyes on
    Loinnir ina shúile - Glistening in his eyes
    Ar mhullach snoic - At the top of the mountain
    Snámh in aghaidh easa - Swimming against the tide
    Loit/Mhill - Destroy
    Coiméad/Cosaint/Saoradh - Protect
    Mionlach - Minority
    Formhór - Majority
    Amhail is - Like as if
    Bhí sé tagtha - He had come
    Draíochta - Mystifying
    Bhí socraithe acu - They decided
    Torann na mbos - noise of the applause
    Pé náire - Whatever shame
    Ceannaireacht - Leadership
    Is mó a bhraitheann - It depends
    Go huile is go iomlán - Totally believing
    Smacht a fháil orthu - Control over them
    i bpreabadh na súil - In the blink of an eye
    In ionad - Instead of
    Ag dul iméid - Increasing
    Tháinig loinnir ina shúile - His eyes lit up

Sample answer on "An tÁdh" le Padraig Ó Conaire:

Bas nó brón
    (i) Is é an gearrscéal a roghnaigh mé ná An tÁdh le Pádraig Ó Conaire agus is é an téama a roghnaigh mé ná An Bás.
    (ii) Bhí an scéalaí, Pádraig, agus a bheirt chairde Séamas agus Micilín i bhfolach mar nach raibh siad ag iarraidh aon obair a dhéanamh. Bhí Pádraig ag iarrraidh dul ag bádóireacht ach ní raibh an bheirt eile sásta mar go bhfuair siad léasadh an uair dheireanach a thóg siad bád amach gan cead mar go raibh sé chomh dáinséarach sin.
    Bhí plean ag Pádraig, áfach. Dúirt sé go raibh Tom Beag ag dul go dtí margadh muc i nGarumna an lá sin agus gur cheart dóibh dul i ngan fhios do Tom. Bheartaigh siad dul i bhfolach sna málaí muc. Bheadh ar dhuine amháin fanacht chun a rá le Tom go raibh dhá mhuc eile sa bhád. Cé go raibh sé dáinsearach ní raibh aon duine sásta fanacht mar go raibh an triúr acu ag iarraidh dul amach sa bhád. Mar sin chuir siad ar chrannaibh é. Bhí ar an duine a tharraing an tráithnín ab fhaide fanacht. Fuair Pádraig an ceann ab fhaide agus bhí an-bhrón air.
    Léim na buachaillí eile sa bhád. Tháinig Tom agus cúigear eile in éineacht leis. Rinne Pádraig iarracht dul ar bord i ngan fhios dóibh ach theip air. D’imigh an bád agus d’fhan Pádraig ag féachaint ar an mbád agus é éadmhar. Shuigh sé síos ar chloch agus thit sé ina chodladh ag smaoineamh ar an spórt is spraoi a bheadh ag Séamas agus Micilín.
    Bhí an oíche ann nuair a dhúisigh sé. Agus é ar a shlí abhaile bhuail sé leis an máistir scoile agus máthair Mhicilín. Bhí siad ar thóir na mbuachaillí. D’inis Pádraig dóibh cá raibh na buachaillí eile. Thosaigh máthair Mhicilín ag caoineadh agus bhí ionadh ar Phádraig. Nuair a shroich sé a theach féin bhí a chlann ar fad agus athair Shéamais ag fanacht leis. D’inis sé a scéal arís agus d’fhág athair Shéamais gan focal a rá.
    Ansin dúirt a mháthair leis go raibh an t-ádh leis mar go ndeachaigh an bád go tóin poill le Séamas agus Micilín ar bord. Nuair a chuala Pádraig go bhfuair na buachailí eile bás thuig sé go raibh tuismitheoirí an bheirt eile faoi ghruaim agus go raibh an t-ádh dearg leis agus lena theaghlach.

If anyone has notes on An Corp or Na Blaithe Craige and could put them up here I'd really appreciate it! :)

Freagair Samplach: "Chlaon mé mo cheann" le Seamus Ó Néill

Mothúcháin:grá, uaigneas, eagla, pian, briseadh croí.

Rinné mé stáidéar ar an dán "Chlaon mé mo cheann" le Seamus Ó Néill.
    Is é an mothucháin atá roghnaithe agam ná brón.
    Measaim go bhfúil an dán lán de brón.
    Sa chéad véarsa, feicimid an brón atá ar an bhfile. Léiríonn sé go bhfúil sé uaigneach. Tugann sé íomhá dúinn dá mháthair go feitheamh leis go himníoch. Is léir ón íomhá go bhfúil sí marbh.
    "Mo mháthair sa doras agus í ag fanacht go hímníoch."

Pictiúir eile a thaispeánann an brón atá air, na íomhá an athair ag filleadh abhaile ag deireadh an lae. Úsáideann sé an focal "fonn" chun béim a chur ar an ngaol maith a bhí idir an chlann. Léiríonn an íomhá seo go bhfile mar cuimhníonn sé go bhfuair a athair bás.
    "Nó mo athair ag pilleadh tráthnóna le fonn."

Sa dara véarsa, tuigimid faoi deara go bhfúil an-bhrón air. Níl sé in ann fiú féachaint ar a sheanteach.
    "Ar eagla go bhfeicfinn an stáinséir sa doras."
    Tá meascán de mothúcháin le brath.

Ó na pointí thuas luaite i mo thuairim is é uaigneas an mothúcháin is treise sa dán seo.

Here's some more English notes seeing as I don't have any more home with me but the next ones I get up will definately be Irish or French or something that isn't English.

Media Studies/Advertising
    1.Visual elements of advertisements:
    - photographs
    - illustrations(diagrams, drawings etc.)
    - cartoons
    - logo (a symbol which helps us to identify a particular product, service or manufacturer)

2.Copy
    - text in advertisement
    -text should enhance the visual inpact

3.Caption
    - heading

4.Slogan
    - a cathcy phrase e.g. Tesco - "Every Little Helps"

5.Buzz Words(key words)
    - usually have positive connotations e.g "new", "fresh", "fresher", "clean", "cleaner", "healthy", "healthier"
    - negative connotations e.g. "dirt", "filth", "grime"
    - use of superlatives e.g. "newest", "biggest", "best"

6.Typography
    - The design / layout of the text
    - uppercase lettering/lower case
    - colour - vibrant/bright or plain/dull( black, white, grey)

7.Target Audience
    - the specific group that the ad is aimed at
    - use of a celebrity; associate product with a celebrtiy = endorsement

8.Advertisements appeal to our emotions e.g. Andrex puppy

9.Make the product appear glamorous e.g. Eva Longoria-Parker - Garnier/Magnum

10.Advertisements can carry warnings: written and visual
    - They show us what can happen if we don't but the product

11.Wording
    - mis-spellings and abbreviations e.g. "Shake 'n' Vac", "KittyKat"
    - use of alliteration e.g. "longer lasting lipstick for less"

Advertisements try to tempt/persuade/entice/force/convince/show/tell us in a concious and subconcious way.

Analysing Advertisements

1.Writing about captions and slogans
    - uses words with positive connotations....
    - seems to promose a bargain
    - poses a question to make us think
    - makes a statement which tempts us to....
    - liks the product with a famous person
    - makes a statement or poses a question which worries us

Wordplay - to attract attention
    - to entertain us
    Techniques Used:
    - alliteration (see above)
    - mis-spellings (see above)
    - repetition of a keyword/phrase e.g. "Better quality, better value"
    - use of simile e.g. "like Grannmda used to bake them"
    - use of metaphor e.g."Wickloe honey - liquid gold"
    - hyphenated words e.g. " crispy-coated"
    - use of puns e.g "physical" = "Fizzical"

2.Writing about illustrations and photographs
    - shows the products appearance
    - shows the product in use
    - highlights the actual product
    - provides a glamorous setting for the product
    - provides an unusual image "amusing, shocking, unexpected etc.)
    - links the product with people who appear....
    - use of specific prop sto highlight....

3.Writing about copy
    - see captions/slogans above
    - what claims does the text make
    - Are our feelings being exploited?

• Advertisement

More English! I'm just getting it out of the way for now (although I do have about 8 more poems to get up at some stage)

Speech Writing
    - use rhetorical questions
    - use repetition of words/phrases to emphasise point
    - use common sense/be realistic
    - use "I", "you", "we"
    - engage with audience
    - use real life examples
    - use facts/figures where possible
    - use definate vocab. (e.g. might= will, possibly= definately)
    - avoid saying "I think"
    - use qoutations if possible
    - use sentence starters
    - link every point back to motion
    - create an epigram (short memorable statement the links to motion)
    - create anecdote (short story/example e.g. Imagine this.....)
    - don't be afraid to challenge counter arguments
    - don't use too long sentences
    - use clear language, but not simple vocabulary

Sentence Starters
    - firstly...
    - secondly...
    - finally...
    - first and foremost...
    - previously ...
    - presently ...
    - in the future ...
    - additionally...
    - in addition to...
    - furthermore...
    - consequently...
    - as a result...
    - .....is in opposition to....
    - .....contrasts with...
    - thus
    - similarly
    - ...is similar to...
    - ...parallels...
    - ...mirrors...
    - contrastingly...
    - in contrast to...
    - in comparison to...
    - as a form of comparison...
    - thereofre...
    - conversely...
    - in oppostion to...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Jaysus, I could've done with some of these. Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Could anyone put up notes on CSPE?
    Thanks

I'll start putting up History, Geography & Science notes that I made out at the weekend when I'm not busy with mocks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

kingcobra wrote: »
    Thanks

Don't need them TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

donvito99 wrote: »
    Don't need them TBH.
    Ah ya kinda do, our mock paper for CSPE was relatively "hard" for cspe.
    I just want a few small notes on the law, the dail, important people etc. nothing too long;)

Ah ya kinda do, our mock paper for CSPE was relatively "hard" for cspe.
    I just want a few small notes on the law, the dail, important people etc. nothing too long;)
    I've nothing special! :( My CSPE teacher is gone so I doubt I'll be getting much more book would be just as useful unless someone else has some

Three Little Birds - Bob Marley / Happy Birthday - Stevie Wonder

Ethnic Music

Musical feature 1: Lyrics
    Description:Reggae songs often about serious issues such as poverty, politics, religion. They are often associated with the black civil right movement and some reggae songs refer to famous black people eg. "Happy Birthday" by Stevie Wonder is dedicated to the assassinated black civil rights leader Martin Luther King.

Musical feature 2: Rhythm - riffs
    Description: Riffs are an important feature in reggae music. A riff is a short repeated bass melody played on the bass guitar. The identity of each reggae song is established by the style and content of the riff. Since it is ann important feature it is played loudly.
    The riff will miss out on the first and third beats.

Musical feature 3: Syncopation.

Description: The rhythms in reggae songs are always syncopated and lively. Syncopation is accenting a beat on part of a beat which is normally accented. This provides an effective contrast to the riffs. Drum and bass guitar play the rhythms and form the foundation of Reggae Music.

Any chance we could get this stickied? I'll put some History notes up now, starting from Chapter 1. :)

History Notes - #1:

The Job of the Historian & the Archaeologist:

1. What do historians and archaeologists do?
    2. Where do historians dig?
    3. What do archaeologists do on the dig?
    4. What do archaeologists learn from artifacts?
    5. How do archaeologists date an artifact?

1:

- Archaeologists study artifacts, these are things that people left behind them.
    - Historians study written sources.

- Primary sources come from the time being studied - artifacts, written sources.
    - Secondary sources come from after the time being studied - modern books, documentaries.

- Bias: Presenting your side in a good light.
    - Prejudice: Making up your mind in advance.
    - Propaganda: Trying to win the reader over.

2:

- Archaeologists dig in places where people once lived:
    ~ Near old buildings, castles.
    ~ Where old houses are being replaced.
    ~ Aerial photographs show signs of old fields or houses.
    ~ Places connected with legend.

3:

Archaeologists:
    ~ Make a plan of the site.
    ~ Dig using trowels, sieves and brushes.
    ~ Photograph/draw what they find.
    ~ Mark on plan where the artifact was found.
    ~ Send to a museum/lab for artifact to be dated and studied.

4:

- Artifacts teach us about people from the past:
    ~ Bones, shells, seeds - what they ate.
    ~ Pollen - crops they grew.
    ~ Post holes - houses they lived in.
    ~ Cloth, leather - their clothes.
    ~ Burials - their culture and religion.

5:

- Archaeologists date artifacts by:
    ~ Stratigraphy - how deep in the ground it was.
    ~ Radiocarbon dating - measuring carbon in plants & animals.
    ~ Tree ring dating - comparing tree rings.

• Advertisement

I made up those types of notes myself for History, Geography & Science. If anyone has any chapter requests let me know and I'll put them up. :)

Geography Notes - #1:

The Planet Earth:

1. The Earth's Layers.
    2. The Plates.
    3. Earthquakes.
    4. Volcanoes.
    5. Other Diagrams

1:

- The Earth has three layers: Crust, mantle & core.

- Crust: Outer layer, solid rock, thin layer, earth's plates.
    - Mantle: Middle layer, very hot, molten rock.
    - Core: Centre of earth, hottest layer, iron and nickel.

- Diagram: http://www.didcotgirls.oxon.sch.uk/depts/geog/bcs_geography/images/earth%20structure3.gif

2:

- Seven major plates: Eurasian, Indian, African, American, Nazca, Pacific & Australian.

- Plates carry continents and oceans. They are constantly moving - continental drift.

- When plates collide, fold mountains occur, e.g. The Rockies, Canada.
    - When plates seperate, volcanoes occur, e.g. Mt. Etna, Italy.
    - When plates slide past each other, earthquakes occur, e.g. San Andreas Fault, California.

- Diagram: http://www.windows.ucar.edu/earth/images/earth_plates_usgs_L.jpg

3:

- The place within the crust where the earthquake occurs is the "focus". The point on the surface above the focus in the epicentre.

- Earthquakes produce shock waves:
    ~ Seismograph - measures shock waves.
    ~ Richter scale - records size of shock waves.

- Effects of earthquakes:
    ~ Loss of life.
    ~ Collapse/damage.

Diagram: http://www.eoearth.org/upload/thumb/3/36/Epicenter_diagram.gif/250px-Epicenter_diagram.gif

4:

- Magma under the earth's crust reaches the surface, cools and hardens to form lava. Lava forces it's way up through a vent forming a volcanic mountain.

- Types of volcanoes:
    ~ Active: Erupts frequently, Mt. Etna.
    ~ Dormant: Hasn't erupted for a long time, Mt. St. Helen's.
    ~ Extinct: Has never erupted, Mt. Slemish.

- Diagram: http://www.scarborough.k12.me.us/wis/teachers/dtewhey/webquest/nature/images/Volcano%20diagram.bmp

5:

- Fold Mountains: http://www.tulane.edu/~sanelson/images/contdontcoll.gif

- Mid-Atlantic Ridge: http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/guerry/GLY4155/sp35/fig62.gif

- Pacific Ring of Fire: http://whyfiles.org/094quake/images/ring_of_fire.gif

Finally something other than English:
    French - Les cartes postales
    -Je m'amuse beacoup - I'm enjoying myself
    -Je nage et je fais de la voile tous les jours - I swim and I go sailing everyday
    -Demain, je vais visiter l'aquarium et voir les poissons et les dauphins - Tomorrow I am going to go and see the aquarium and see the fish and the dolphins.
    -A bientot(has hat over o) - See you soon
    -Bonjour a tous ( grave accent on a) - Hell everyone
    -Nous sommes dans un petit hotel - We are in a small hotel
    -Je fais du surf, je nage, je me bronze - I go surfing, I swim, I'm getting a tan
    -J'adore les crepes bretonnes (hat accent on 1st e of crepes) - I love Breton pancakes
    -Je suis isi a Morlaix en vacances pour une semaine (grave accent on a) - I am here in Morlaix on holidays for a week
    -Je suis ici an vacances chez ma tante - I'm hereon holiday at my aunt's
    -Je fais du shopping et je visite les musees ( acute accent on 1st e of musee) - I go shopping and I go to see the museums
    -Mardi, je vais voir Versailles - On Tuesday, I am going to see Versailles
    -J'adore cette ville - I love this town
    -Nous sommes ici dans les Alpes - We are here in the Alps
    -Nous restons dans un chalet comme sur la carte - We are staying in a chalet just like on the card
    -Il y beauop de neige - There is a lot of snow
    -Nous faisons du ski tour les jours - We go skiing everyday
    -Je faid des progres (grave accent on last e) - I'm making progress
    -Je fais du surf lous les jours - I go surfing everyday
    -Je fais de la voile lous les jours - I go sailing everyday
    -Je fais de la plongee sous la marine tous les jours (acute accent on 1st e of plongee) - I go scuba diving every day
    - Je fais de la planche a voile lous les jours - I go windsurfing everyday
    - Je fais du ski nautique tous les jours - I go water skiing everyday
    - J'adore les sports nautique - I love water sports
    - J'adore la cuisine francaise - I love French food
    - J'adore les fruits de mer - I love sea food
    - surtout - especially
    - J'adore la cuisinr francaise surtout les croques monsieurs - I love the French food espesially the toasted ham and cheese sandwiches
    - Demain je vais visiter la Joaconde au Louvre - Tomorrow I am going to see the Mona Lisa at the Louvre
    - Mardi, je vais visiter le Tour Eiffel - On Tusday, I'm going to see the Eiffel Tower.
    -Mercredi, je vais visiter Nice - On Wednesday, I am going to visit Nice
    - Nous restons dans un camping - We are staying in a campsite
    - Les installations sont bonnes - The facilities are good
    - Nous restons dans une auberge de jeunesse - We are staying in a youth hostel
    - Me voici - Here I am
    - dans un mobile home -in a mobile home
    - dans un chambre d'hote (hat accent on o of hotel) - in a B+B
    - au bord de la mer - at the seaside
    - dans une station balneaire (acuteaccent on 1st e of balneaire) - in a seaside resort
    - dans un station de ski - in a ski resort
    - il y a un terrain de jeux - there is a sport's pitch
    - un aire de jeux - a playground
    - un terain multisport - an all weather pitch
    - Il fait tres beau.C'est la canicule ici (grave accent on e in tres) - The weather is great.There's a heatwave here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Bluejaymraz, could you please put up some History notes if you can? If you can't it's grand :)

Bluejaymraz, could you please put up some History notes if you can? If you can't it's grand :)

Any area in particular? (except the renaissance and medieval: we had a different student teacher for those sections don't have any real notes)

Irish history perhaps? Thanks.

:/ Didn't really think this was a request kinda thing just thought people threw up notes they already have not compose new ones...

Irish history perhaps? Thanks.

As in the whole North/South thing?I'll get up what I can maybe tonight sometime: I think I'm due a late night, haven't stayed up on here in ages.
    M&S* wrote: »
    :/ Didn't really think this was a request kinda thing just thought people threw up notes they already have not compose new ones...

Sure there's no harm in requesting them and besides I amn't making new ones we've been getting them since 1st year from our teacher.

Whatever you can, like if you can't it's grand!
    Don't be putting yourself out for me!

The reason I asked was because on another thread she had said to ask if anyone wanted them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Steve Collins

Thanks
    Lol! CSPE? You know out of the 80 marks on the written paper that you can only get up to 10 marks for the stuff you study? In some cases theres 3 questions @ 1 mark each. The rest is all like answering questions on ads and stuff - piss easy. Anyway CSPE isnt on the LC so I wouldnt get stressed out if I did bad, but I don't think I will.

Advertisement