Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Indicating at Roundabouts - Grrr

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was at a roundabout this morning which has the usual 2 lane approach. The roundabout was very busy - I'd say one car was getting on every 10 seconds from my lane. I was on the right and another car was on the left, everything fine so far....

Then this girl decided to make it a 3 lane approach and drove in between us! And to make matters worse, other drivers behind us thought "hey... thats a good idea" and queued up behind her! There were some very close calls getting onto that roundabout. Its a miracle no cars scraped against each other.

Speaking of roundabouts (and turning in general) .... Do 03 regged cars have indicators? Or are they disabled? Or broken? I don't think I've ever seen a 03 car indicating.....

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Does anyone here frequent the Tunnel Roundabout in Cork?

I go through it twice a day and if you ever want to see an example of bad indicating / use of a roundabout then you should go around this one.
    It's gotten to the case of pick a lane and hope for the best at this stage :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If I'm going left I indicate left, if I'm going right (3rd turn) I indicate right until I pass the 2nd turn. Then I indicate left.

Spot on

What about the headford road roundabout in Galway

It has 5 exits

1 - menlo
    2 - headford
    3 - dublin road
    4 - Higgins motorpark
    5 - into Dunness stores

So you want to go to Dunness stores - What do you do??

1. Stay in right lane and indicate right
    2. Stay in left lane, indicate right, then go around all the way in the wrong lane and when u nearly munch the front of a persons car and fukd from a height for it , laugh and tell the person they should learn to drive.

I nearly went for the person and put it this way, they had tits!

The amount of fukn morons on roundabouts is unreal

The people that ignore traffic lights on roundabouts is mad too, no heed for them at all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by MadKevo
    Since not a single offence of the 63 or so listed in the Penalty Points system is related to the usage of indicators, it seems that the official position is that it doesn't matter

As far as I'm aware, indicators are just that and no more - an indication of intent. Just because you indicate that you intend to go left doesn't necessarily mean that you have to then go left.

Indicators are there so that road users can help each other by showing them what their intentions are. That's all. Caution is still advisable, of course.

I fully agree with Borzoi when he says: As for indicators, if you're ever hit/hit someone and claim that you thought a car was going to do something else because he indicated, it'll do you no good. You'll still be at [fault] - the indicator means they INTEND to do something - you just can't be sure what that something is - they might have accidentally hit the indicator the wrong way or accidentally left it on from earlier - basically, - sometimes its a good idea to think everyone else on the road is an idiot and doesn't know what they want to do - and DONT trust them or their indicators until you see more concrete evidence of what they're about to do.

Keep your distance, - especially at higher speeds. Common sense should prevail, basically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

Originally posted by BrianD3
    Remember guys that sometimes the 2nd exit is not automatically straight ahead if you imagine the roundabout as being like a clock face usually 6 o'clock is where you are, 9 is the first exit, 12 is the second and 3 is the third but sometimes the 2nd exit is past 12 o' clock in that case you treat it the same as you would a 3rd exit i.e keep to the right hand lane indicate right and then left.

Amm, let's see, no! 2nd exit is 2nd exit no matter what time it happens to be at.
    /mk

PS I know this is an old thread, but just revisting those I've participated in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by BlueDrax
    Another thing - If there isn't any traffic on the roundabout when you approach it, do you have to stop?

You only have to stop if they're is a stop sign

Advertisement