Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

caught speeding

• 05-02-2003 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭

got caught speeding on pembroke street on the 12th of december 02, but the offence is only being enforced now. The garda signed the charge notice on the 29th of january and I got the letter this morning. Isn't this unfair since the penalty points system was not in force when the actual offence occured? It means I've got 2 penalty points now on my licence when the speeding offence occured before the penalty points system started up.

I'm ok with the speeding, I was speeding, and I accept that, but holding off charging me is not fair

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Penalty points for speeding came into effect on the 1st of November 2002. You got caught on the 12th of December so they apply to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

my bad, taught it was 1st january they came into effect

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

I got caught last September and got the fine in the post in December but forgot to pay it :(:o I then got a summons yesterday and have to go to court in April.
    I know a reminder probably came but my car is registered to my parents house and my Dad has a habit of clearing the place out every few days and turfing out unopened letters.

Anyway I have two questions;

(a) Is there any way I can pay the fine now to save going to court?

(b) If I do go to court in April will the judge be able to add penalty points to my licence even if the offence took place before the legislation was brought in?

:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by The_Scary_Man

(a) Is there any way I can pay the fine now to save going to court?

(b) If I do go to court in April will the judge be able to add penalty points to my licence even if the offence took place before the legislation was brought in?

On the first point NO
    On the second, it should be NO

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I think now, its just a case of a blank cheque and asking the judge where the court poor box is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement