Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Doing the sums on an a Prius?

• 25-03-2019 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Anyone recommend a good site for doing the sums on purchasing a Prius.

Ill be doing v little motorway driving, I guess Im wondering how much Ill save if any should I take the plunge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Motorway driving isn’t where a Prius delivers the most savings anyway. Are you looking at a used Prius, and what are you comparing it to when calculating savings?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

There's an electric and hybrid sub-forum off motors here : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1634

A Prius is only €170 annual road tax which is very good, I was paying €634 or so before that. Nice to save over €450 from the tax man a year.

I use around 4.5l of fuel per 100km on mixed motorway and urban driving, probably saving €40-50 a month.
    So you'd have to compare that against what you're using now.

They're supposed to be rock solid reliable.
    The regenerative (engine) braking means they are very easy on brake pads.

Depending on whether or not you get a Jap import, your insurance might be more expensive too, or you may have to switch providers.

If you go for a really old Prius, ie. generation 2, then I think they had a problem with easily stealable catalyic converters. Which are very expensive to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭kerten

rgodard80a wrote: »
    If you go for a really old Prius, ie. generation 2, then I think they had a problem with easily stealable catalyic converters. Which are very expensive to replace.

A friend's cat(07 prius mk2) got stolen in a shopping center car park last month. He paid 420 for to put a cat and sensors in. Not sure about the quality of the parts though but first mechanic mentioned 3 grand for the job.

I think it is not ease of stealing but more valuable metals toyota put in its cats is attractive for scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

rgodard80a wrote: »
    There's an electric and hybrid sub-forum off motors here : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1634

A Prius is only €170 annual road tax which is very good, I was paying €634 or so before that. Nice to save over €450 from the tax man a year.

I use around 4.5l of fuel per 100km on mixed motorway and urban driving, probably saving €40-50 a month.
    So you'd have to compare that against what you're using now.

They're supposed to be rock solid reliable.
    The regenerative (engine) braking means they are very easy on brake pads.

Depending on whether or not you get a Jap import, your insurance might be more expensive too, or you may have to switch providers.

Insurance doesn't change ( used have a Japanese import hybrid)but some companies might not insure u,liberty does

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

kerten wrote: »
    A friend's cat(07 prius mk2) got stolen in a shopping center car park last month. He paid 420 for to put a cat and sensors in. Not sure about the quality of the parts though but first mechanic mentioned 3 grand for the job.

I think it is not ease of stealing but more valuable metals toyota put in its cats is attractive for scumbags.

It’s down to the quality and quantity of precious metals they use on the cats on that particular model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

How does a Prius do on the motorway for comfort? Can it compare to a diesel cruiser or is it a bit thinny like a lot of Jap cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

I have a 2010, perfectly fine for the motorway in terms of comfort. Not near comfort levels of a Volvo S80 or Audi a6 but does the job.
    MPG on long journeys are similar to any 1.8 auto petrol.
    Short Stop Start driving is what the Prius is built for and where its really efficient.
    Great boot space too.
    For my(hers!) requirement, ticks almost all the boxes so im very happy with it.

Advertisement