Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VW Caddy 2007 master cylinder

• 18-03-2019 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

has anyone replaced a master cyclinder on a 2007 vw caddy. told it needs changing as brake pedal slow to return. is it a big job and expensive .
    thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you want to to it DIY?

If you need mech recommendations you need to say where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 garretk1

thks, but just need to know is it a hard to remove from the engine bay of the vw caddy, heard it was a big job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

garretk1 wrote: »
    thks, but just need to know is it a hard to remove from the engine bay of the vw caddy, heard it was a big job.
    It is not hard job if there is no load of plastic covers. Shut down the brakes system, old out, new in, bleed the brakes, turn on the brakes system and off it goes. Yes it takes time but it is not the big job. Big jobs takes longer than 1 day, this one one takes 1-1.5 hours. Big job, my a*s.

Edit: Remember you have a 2 options, replace entire unit (cost about 40eur) or buy the repair kit by 10eur

thks for the advice , might have a go at it .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

w211 wrote: »
    It is not hard job if there is no load of plastic covers. Shut down the brakes system, old out, new in, bleed the brakes, turn on the brakes system and off it goes. Yes it takes time but it is not the big job. Big jobs takes longer than 1 day, this one one takes 1-1.5 hours. Big job, my a*s.

Edit: Remember you have a 2 options, replace entire unit (cost about 40eur) or buy the repair kit by 10eur
    Messing with repair kits is just silly if you can buy the part complete for circa 40 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

mickdw wrote: »
    Messing with repair kits is just silly if you can buy the part complete for circa 40 euro.
    Silly are to buy entire unit if it needs only the new seals. It is so simple to replace these and save the 30 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I've used lots of kits for various components. Some make sense and some don't.
    I don't like the brake cylinder kits as they don't seem to last as long as a new part. Maybe that's due to crap kit or wear on the bore, I don't know but at that sort of money, time is more valuable anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

has anyone replaced a master cyclinder on a 2007 vw caddy. told it needs changing as brake pedal slow to return. is it a big job and expensive .
    thks

Check the bolt on the brake pedal pivot inside the van. More than likely has tightened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

thks

Is the pedal sinking to the floor when you press it, or is your braking reduced? If not then I doubt its the master cylinder.

As said could be the bolt on the pedal tightened up or perhaps the booster is on the way out?

Check the return spring on the pedal also.

when you press the brake its slow to return , therfore the brakes stay on for a second or two. the brakes are working good. is there a spring on the padal to help it return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Check the bolt on the brake pedal pivot inside the van. More than likely has tightened up.

Did you do this?

hi, just loosened bolt on pedal and that seemed to do the trick, pedal returning as it should. thanks george and everyone else for advice, ye saved me alot of money and time.

Advertisement