Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First time driving LHD and auto, tips?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Save the location where you pick up the car on your phone/sat nav. Makes it much easier when returning a few days/weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

My biggest mistake when I started driving on the right was not keeping enough to the left. I found I let the car drift far too much to the right side of the lane I was in. Stay as tight to the left line as possible as it's hard to judge where the opposite side of the car is with the steering wheel being on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

A big thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread, turned out to be an enjoyable experience. For the benefit of the next newbie reading this:

1. Apart from remembering which side to use when entering / exiting roads, LHS driving is a doddle.

2. I've belatedly discovered that (for normal driving at least) getting an auto is a no-brainer. just do it.

3. American lane discipline and indication is worse than in Ireland, you need to carefully watch traffic beside you on the freeway. The lanes are wide, though, so there's space to move.

4. 4-way stops are still a mystery...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

My understanding of 4-way stops is that they're "first come, first served", not much to it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

In the US there is no equivalent to the 'keep left' rule on our motorways/dual carriageways, you're allowed drive in whatever lane suits you over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

My understanding of 4-way stops is that they're "first come, first served", not much to it really.

This is how it is supposed to work yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

- obey the speed limits as there are many many more police doing speed checks.
    - park very carefully if downtown otherwise you will be towed...

- right turn on red allowed unless indicated otherwise
    - stop sign means "stop" and not yield
    - no parking in front of red fire hydrant

if you go wrong, don't panic - just let the satnav recalculate....and go around the block (rather than uturn)

biggest danger of ending up on wrong side of road
    - is when taking left turns at night as it can be hard to see the lanes ......
    - after a few days when you relax

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

tcawley29 wrote: »
    This is how it is supposed to work yes.

When I was in Texas earlier this year I was told by the locals that the general rule of thumb when vehicles in different roads approached a 4 way stop junction at the same time, is that you always gave way to the vehicle to your right. I got caught out a few times at first where I waiting at the stop sign for a vehicle opposite me to move while they were waiting for me to move too. The majority just politely waive you on when they see the out of state license plate while a few got impatient and just crossed the junction while I was still indecisive.

Also if the 4 way junction had a pedestrian crossing then pedestrians had right of way to cross the road over vehicles every time irrespective of there being traffic lights there or not. So you had to be on the ball if you were making a left turn.

FWIW I found the rental car's GPS useless so relied on my phone most of the time. I found Waze way more accurate over Google Maps too. Waze also updates you on traffic conditions which is a godsend in the US where they just decide to shut lanes/exits on the freeways when they feel like it for roadworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I found "here we go" a very good sat nav option on the phone as you can download maps to use offline to avoid data charges. The tip is to try to ensure you search for your destination when online on wifi in your hotel, etc. as offline search is not as good.

Also if you are worried about LHD, a reasonable tip is to put your watch on your other arm to make sure it is to the kerb side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

In the US there is no equivalent to the 'keep left' rule on our motorways/dual carriageways, you're allowed drive in whatever lane suits you over there.

In Ireland we have a keep left rule, but you just drive in whatever lane suits you.

.... Well that's just my observations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Left foot is still useful for hill starts. In places like San Francisco, you can still roll back in D.

And use L or B for steep descents to get some engine braking.

Most new cars have a rollback delay when you lift your foot off the brake pedal when the car is beyond a certain degree. Gives you time to get your foot onto the gas pedal. Very handy in San Francisco.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I wouldn't make any assumptions as it's not a standard feature - hill-start assist or auto-hold may need to be activated manually, depending on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Kinda like the Walkinstown Roundabout.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

BraveDonut wrote: »

Also if you are worried about LHD, a reasonable tip is to put your watch on your other arm to make sure it is to the kerb side of the road.

you cant go wrong if you drive on the right side ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

A big thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread, turned out to be an enjoyable experience. For the benefit of the next newbie reading this:

1. Apart from remembering which side to use when entering / exiting roads, LHS driving is a doddle.

2. I've belatedly discovered that (for normal driving at least) getting an auto is a no-brainer. just do it.

3. American lane discipline and indication is worse than in Ireland, you need to carefully watch traffic beside you on the freeway. The lanes are wide, though, so there's space to move.

You might not have been Stateside long enough but I found it almost as bad returning, it just felt weird driving on the left for a few days.

Advertisement