Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Turboed petrols

• 28-02-2019 2:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Its been a few years now since turbocharged petrols became the mainstream with manufacturers but I've actually yet to drive one. All I've ever owned were NA petrols and turboed diesels.

Is there much of a difference driving a turbo petrol vs an NA? Is it less free revving? I'm guessing the powerband is somewhat different.

How about lag?

I know there's huge variations between cars and engines so I'm just asking in general because my next car is gonna be a petrol and it might have a turbo :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Most modern turbo petrols are brilliant. Generally smooth, free reving with torque available from low down, no noticeable lag.

You will love them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I occasionally drive a twin turbo 300ZX. A nice economical, mainstream, practical everyday car*

*15-18mpg, a bastard to drive on anything remotely damp, turbos come in with a bang at 4k rpm and shoot flames under the right circumstances when changing gear, can seat 2 comfortably and not much else, will try to kill you every chance it gets. And I absolutely love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Drove a 181 1l Ecoboost Focus belonging to Woman's auntie a couple of months back. I didn't have time to get properly cosy with the thing, but I did note that it pulled remarkably like the 131 1.6 diesel Focus that Woman has. I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Its been a few years now since turbocharged petrols became the mainstream with manufacturers but I've actually yet to drive one. All I've ever owned were NA petrols and turboed diesels.

Is there much of a difference driving a turbo petrol vs an NA? Is it less free revving? I'm guessing the powerband is somewhat different.

How about lag?

I know there's huge variations between cars and engines so I'm just asking in general because my next car is gonna be a petrol and it might have a turbo :)

I had a twin scroll twin turbo v8, little noticeable lag because the twin turbos came in at different points. It did seem to continue increasing power forever (in a good way).

Currently have a turbo i4 and a supercharged v8. Noticeably different power delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Lag generally isn't an issue with low-performance turbos. I haven't driven one of these myself, but I know a few people with them and they seem happy enough (either moving from diesels, or previous NA petrols).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I had an FSI polo rental on holidays last year and was very impressed with the low down power/torque, lower gear acceleration was very impressive for such a small engine and it was able to hold its own on the motorway up to around 140kmph with power to pass other cars if needed (at that speed)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Marcusm wrote: »
    I had a twin scroll twin turbo v8...Currently have a turbo i4 and a supercharged v8. Noticeably different power delivery.

I just remembered my username...………..What an OP :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I had an FSI polo rental on holidays last year and was very impressed with the low down power/torque, lower gear acceleration was very impressive for such a small engine and it was able to hold its own on the motorway up to around 140kmph with power to pass other cars if needed (at that speed)

Do you mean TSI? FSI is just direct injection and would have to be a pretty old model at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I had a 1l Focus Ecoboost as a rental and while it was OK low down with a single occupant it never felt great when I had 3 passengers inside plus myself.
    It was fine for just tipping about in but the economy wasn't great.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I had a 1l Focus Ecoboost as a rental and while it was OK low down with a single occupant it never felt great when I had 3 passengers inside plus myself.
    It was fine for just tipping about in but the economy wasn't great.

Mmm, wouldn't surprise me - like I said, I had only a very limited drive in one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I tend to go for na myself mainly for their free revving nature and better reliability (generally) due to less complex engines. I therefore have less guilt revving out a na vs a turbo. I always notice the turbo lag in different turbos and do miss the more free revving nature of the na.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭CoBo55

My last two cars were petrol Octavia's, a 09 1.4 TSI (122 bhp) followed by a 172 1.0 (115 bhp), both were dsg. The 09 was by far the nicer drive and more economical overall than the 1 litre. The 1 litre had amazing economy on long journeys 5.0L/100 being achieved on quite a few journeys but town driving was abysmal often as low as 10L/100km for a full tank. The 1.4 recorded a best of 47 mpg on a long journey but never fell below 41. These are all full tank to empty figures every time. I've gone back to diesel and the difference is amazing, I can't see myself going petrol for a long time. Sorry about the mixed units I've only recently trained myself in the modern units.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Most modern turbo petrols are brilliant. Generally smooth, free reving with torque available from low down, no noticeable lag.

You will love them!

Definitely agree, at least from my own experience with my own car. 1.8tsi engine and if you did not know it was turbo, you couldn't really say it was. No turbo lag that I felt with it.
    1.8 is still a bit bigger engine for this day and age ( I know, sad times we live in ), so it helps to be more linier, but I am not sure about these tiny turbo charged engines, never drove one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

jimgoose wrote: »
    Drove a 181 1l Ecoboost Focus belonging to Woman's auntie a couple of months back. I didn't have time to get properly cosy with the thing, but I did note that it pulled remarkably like the 131 1.6 diesel Focus that Woman has. I liked it.

Woman? :confused:

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    I tend to go for na myself mainly for their free revving nature ….do miss the more free revving nature of the na.

So there is a difference in that regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

We have a 171 1.0 (115bhp) Skoda Octavia. It's a cracking car to drive. We absolutely love it. We find it very economical - our shortest journey is 7km.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    My last two cars were petrol Octavia's, a 09 1.4 TSI (122 bhp) followed by a 172 1.0 (115 bhp), both were dsg. The 09 was by far the nicer drive and more economical overall than the 1 litre. The 1 litre had amazing economy on long journeys 5.0L/100 being achieved on quite a few journeys but town driving was abysmal often as low as 10L/100km for a full tank. The 1.4 recorded a best of 47 mpg on a long journey but never fell below 41.

I'm surprised at that. I'd have thought it'd be the other way around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

One of the madest drives i ever had was a Lancia Delta Integrale. I've driven a db9 but the Lancia was just.... mad.

I'd a mate 20yrs ago who drove nothing else but petrol turbos. His tag line:

"Happiest when; engine screaming, tyres screaming, passengers screaming"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Had 2 x Fiesta ST's. Great engines. Plenty of power, loads off torque, and no issue revving. Driven gently they were very economical too - 40mpg+

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

We liked the 1.4tsi 150bhp Act in the Superb so much we bought two.

• Advertisement

I'm surprised at that. I'd have thought it'd be the other way around.

It broke my heart, there was definitely something wrong with it. Some days it sounded like a bag of nails and you actually see the fuel gauge dropping. Other days it was as smooth as silk, tipping along in the high gears not a bother on it, never as glad to see the back of it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Turbo all the things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

We liked the 1.4tsi 150bhp Act in the Superb so much we bought two.

Lovely engine in the Golf too. Very smooth and responsive. Never noticed any lag.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Lovely engine in the Golf too. Very smooth and responsive. Never noticed any lag.

Sorry I didn't get that engine in the Octavia, 1.5 as it is now.

Woman? :confused:

My good lady.

All the responses bar one have been positive. So when you hear people - esp Motoring journalists - mourning the death of the NA, what exactly are they missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

All the responses bar one have been positive. So when you hear people - esp Motoring journalists - mourning the death of the NA, what exactly are they missing?

Yeah but you're talking to people who like turbo petrols...wait until the diesel brigade comes :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

Last 2 cars and current cars all turbo petrol.

Went from a 2000 Subaru Forester GT, to an 2005 Octavia VRS 1.8T (the best and most reliable cars I've ever owned despite absolutely dogging it daily) to a 2017 Focus RS.

Turbo petrol really is the best powerplant if you aren't too worried about economy and want something that's fun to drive. And even better if you're into tuning etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I loved the Passat 09 1.8T I had way back.

Was very impressed with a hired 1.0T Golf DSG last year.

We will have the dreaded L/N plates at the end of this year going up so will have to get something suitable, probably a Focus 1.0 Auto. Slight complication in that they don't sell them in Ireland and not sure how imports will work after Brexit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MTBD

I had a Fiesta ST for a year. Great car and the engine was mighty impressive. But it's not exciting. Very quiet, died off towards the end of the rev range and a bit characterless. I find all modern turbo petrols like this. Very impressive as everyday cars but they take away from the excitement factor of a highly strung na car. Ive had a rake of of N/A sports cars and they just give you goose bumps when revved out.

Compare the excitement of the engine in an e92 m3 vs a 335i. Both can be had with similar outputs with a little remap but the 335 just is nowhere near as exciting.

Advertisement