Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aren't Nissan Ireland a great bunch of lads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I don't know. Every day of the week on here there is someone harping "Ireland is the dumping ground for the ageing diesels the UK doesn't want", that "the UK is ahead of the emissions game and fobbing off it's tired diesels on poor old Paddy".

Now someone wants to ban it and that's not good either?

If we're going to go so deep with the self wallowing, lets at least try to keep a consistent theme.

To be fair, I said it in another thread a few weeks back but the days of "Paddy spec" ended 10-15 years ago. Virtually everybody wants technology and creature comforts in cars now.

To me, this is only Nissan panicking because their product line up is ****e. If they didn't have the Qashqai, they'd have folded here a long time ago IMO. I know the Leaf does ok for itself but it isn't enough to carry the brand. The Pulsar, Micra, Juke and whatever else they sell are mostly rubbish, when added to the reputation for poor quality that there 2000's onwards stuff has, why would anyone buy one? The whole BOGOF thing they are doing now really screams of desperation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,377 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't know. Every day of the week on here there is someone harping "Ireland is the dumping ground for the ageing diesels the UK doesn't want", that "the UK is ahead of the emissions game and fobbing off it's tired diesels on poor old Paddy".

If we're going to go so deep with the self wallowing, lets at least try to keep a consistent theme.

To be fair, I said it in another thread a few weeks back but the days of "Paddy spec" ended 10-15 years ago.
    Virtually everybody wants technology and creature comforts in cars now.

To me, this is only Nissan panicking because their product line up is ****e. If they didn't have the Qashqai, they'd have folded here a long time ago IMO. I know the Leaf does ok for itself but it isn't enough to carry the brand. The Pulsar, Micra, Juke and whatever else they sell are mostly rubbish, when added to the reputation for poor quality that there 2000's onwards stuff has, why would anyone buy one? The whole BOGOF thing they are doing now really screams of desperation too.

That is not true at all. Distributors in this country decide what the spec is and best bang for their personal buck. That is the same today as it ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

The post-brexit VAT & Tariffs will be the effective banning they desire anyway (if it goes that way)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If they restrict or ban imports from the UK, people will just import more from Japan - and that probably would be better for the local environment as diesels have a minuscule market share over there. Not everyone wants to or can afford to buy a new car.

Nissan's a bit of a mess in general right now. I don't know any other car manufacturers who's CEO is in jail...

listermint wrote: »
    That is not true at all. Distributors in this country decide what the spec is and best bang for their personal buck. That is the same today as it ever was.

Actually, the consumer decides.

You buy a car with the spec you like. If the importers aren't providing cars people want, they won't sell. Plenty of people now want nicely spec'd cars and importers are spec'ing cars to levels that will compete and sell. Sure there'll always be some basic models about but that's the same anywhere, it's not exclusive to Ireland.

i know one swallow doesn't make a summer, but I was in an Enterprise rental Corolla the other day and it had climate control and adaptive cruise FFS.

• Advertisement

Nissan's a bit of a mess in general right now. I don't know any other car manufacturers who's CEO is in jail...

Martin Winterkorn is looking pretty smug right now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

I got a Nissan Joke as a rental from Hertz in Dublin Airport a few months ago, thought the car was around 5 years old as it had a radio and that was it.

it was 2 months old and had 1500 km on the clock :confused:

Every rental car in Germany comes fully loaded as they want a good resale value on it, who the F would buy that thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

redcup342 wrote: »
    I got a Nissan Joke as a rental from Hertz in Dublin Airport a few months ago, thought the car was around 5 years old as it had a radio and that was it.

Every rental car in Germany comes fully loaded as they want a good resale value on it, who the F would buy that thing :)

Some Paddy that just wants the reg plate and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Mc Love wrote: »
    https://www.completecar.ie/car-news/article/8789/Nissan-calls-for-older-car-import-ban

I can't believe it, but if the government actually act on this we'll be stuck with paddy spec!

Pre or post Brexit UK?

not sure that that has much to do with the OP. However rental cars in Ireland as probably near worthless at resale time given how many of them end up clattering about the Wild Atlantic Way.

It's not really relevant at that stage what the entertainment system is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Well no, we can't all afford new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

That's frankly nonsense. UK is still part of the EU and free travel of goods applies. They actually don't realise how lucky they are Ireland has right hand drive cars or they would be competing with imports from Netherlands, Germany or Italy.

Anyway they might try to make less ugly cars for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

This just shows how utterly desperate and ignorant Nissan are. If they were to ban cars being imported from the uk they’d have to ban them from everywhere else too. You just can’t pick a country and ban products/cars from that country regardless of whether it’s an EU country or not, nissans ignorance is astounding in that regard.

Nissan are a failing company, any major car manufacturer that decides to eliminate all saloons from their line up doesn’t deserve to survive. I used to like Nissans but I wouldn’t touch one now (with the exception of the GTR of course)

meeeeh wrote: »
    That's frankly nonsense. UK is still part of the EU and free travel of goods applies. They actually don't realise how lucky they are Ireland has right hand drive cars or they would be competing with imports from Netherlands, Germany or Italy.

Anyway they might try to make less ugly cars for a start.

urm....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

lawred2 wrote: »
    urm....
    I know it's not going to last but at the moment it's free trade of goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Vicxas wrote: »
    Some Paddy that just wants the reg plate and nothing else.

Some paddy that all they want is something to get them from a to b! The rise of plain paddy spec dacia's exactly the way it is and has always been

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

https://www.completecar.ie/car-news/article/8789/Nissan-calls-for-older-car-import-ban

I can't believe it, but if the government actually act on this we'll be stuck with paddy spec!

Didn't know Nissan manufactured cars here? Maybe we should bn all brnd new imports from the UK too, just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Can we just ban the import of Nissans ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,377 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Actually, the consumer decides.

You buy a car with the spec you like. If the importers aren't providing cars people want, they won't sell. Plenty of people now want nicely spec'd cars and importers are spec'ing cars to levels that will compete and sell. Sure there'll always be some basic models about but that's the same anywhere, it's not exclusive to Ireland.

i know one swallow doesn't make a summer, but I was in an Enterprise rental Corolla the other day and it had climate control and adaptive cruise FFS.

Afraid not, consumer decides based of a predefined list that the distributor cleared.

to pretend the consumer has full control as they do in other counties is disingenuous. The irish market has always and is always designed by the Distributor. Consumer no, because they know no different.

listermint wrote: »
    Afraid not, consumer decides based of a predefined list that the distributor cleared.

to pretend the consumer has full control as they do in other counties is disingenuous. The irish market has always and is always designed by the Distributor. Consumer no, because they know no different.

Yeah, of course, but the consumer decides what they buy, ultimately. Whether it be high/ low spec, Irish/ UK etc. If all Irish importers are supplying (allegedly) is low rent stuff and there is a mass migration to the UK second hand market for higher spec stuff, do you not think, even over the course of a few decades that importers will spot this and react to it? This whole "Paddy spec" mentality has gotten way out of hand, it's not much more than a cliche now.

This is the very reason Nissan are panicking and coming our with embarrassing stuff like this, because their cars are horrible yokes and nobody is buying them and they are clutching at the idea of ring fencing Irish buyers into them.

You don't see any serious players like Ford, Toyota, VW coming out with this nonsense, because their product is good (or at least better than Nissan) so they are selling, naturally, because they are better looking/ spec'd/ engines and people want them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

He's a twit - and not for the first time. What he's really pissed at is the 2,877 Qashqai's that came in from the UK that he didn't get a slice of. If he had his head on the right way around, he'd be out there bringing those in and putting them through his dealerships.......

And I'm not buying his 'green concern', either: cars already built, are already built. You can't un-build them, and there are no factories out there building 2nd hand cars.............

And quite apart from the fact it would be illegal to ban imports, for a variety of reasons, irrespective of costs, the Nissan Leaf isn't the panacea to all our ills. If he's so concerned, let him get Nissan to put a few billion into a charging network that actually works, and then come back to us.

But I'd still buy a GT-R first.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭jmreire

So Nissan want to ban the import of all pre-2014 cars from the UK ( and presumably other Countries too? I'm quite sure that this latest from Nissan is in the best interest's of the planet, and nothing to do with their sale's figures? And of course the Governments coffers?
    "the tax take from a used car import is €6,000 less than from a new car sale." And why is that, I wonder??? Time was when ALL car import taxes were to be eliminated between member states....OH, I forgot...it WAS eliminated...but replaced by the VRT.
    For sure, if I can save €6'000 just in tax ( not to mention dealer mark up ) by buying a 2nd hand ( either 6 mth or 1 year old ) car from England...then it's no contest. I pay enough car related taxes as it is, and I'm not a new plate chaser, so nearly new is fine by me ( or even not so new either)...we don't know yet how brexit will eventually play out, but even if tariffs come into play, they will be % related I would imagine, so it's quite possible that there will be a major price drop in UK car prices ???? If this happens, that is, then used car imports will increase ( unless of course Nissan has it's way.... )
    Smacks of desperation when a company seems to be jumping on the emission band wagon and import tax in order to sell their cars.

galwaytt wrote: »
    He's a twit - and not for the first time. What he's really pissed at is the 2,877 Qashqai's that came in from the UK that he didn't get a slice of. If he had his head on the right way around, he'd be out there bringing those in and putting them through his dealerships.......

The thing that he's forgetting, that you rightly point out is that most or at least a decent portion of of those Qashqai's did go through his dealer notwork. The importer didn't get a cut out of them but it might have kept the dealer networks head above water.

There was 100k used vehicle imports, but not 100k imports of single vehicles by private individuals. A big portion of that 100k is dealers (franchise and indy) buying in full forecourts of ex UK stock. Whats sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

No difference than publicans seeking the ban of supermarket cheap alcohol.

They've skin in the game and its hitting their pockets that's their only concern on this issue.

Is Nissan now "Advising" the Govt. on what to do?????? Maybe ban on Nissan's is the answer????:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Could Ireland ban importing cars despite the EU free trade movement ? Buying a Nissan would never cross my mind tbh.

With car rentals, you get what you selected..and for the base price, you get a base car, even sat nav cost's extra. If you want a car with all the bell's and whistles, expect to pay premium prices. You can be lucky though, and get a reasonably specced car, but that's the luck of the draw on what's available when you pick up your car.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Could Ireland ban importing cars despite the EU free trade movement ? Buying a Nissan would never cross my mind tbh.

If the vehicle you're importing is actually EU compliant, then I don't believe they could. Even a UK Nissan is EU compliant........and always will be.

No more than people import stuff from US / Japan all the time, there'll be tarriffs, and that might put people off and slow it down.......but it's not a ban.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Yes Toyotafanboi, you are right. I was in a VAG dealership the other day as a car transporter was unloading, all the unloaded cars were UK imports, and they joined the many others already on the site. So I presume that other dealerships are doing the same thing too in order to survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

jmreire wrote: »
    Yes Toyotafanboi, you are right. I was in a VAG dealership the other day as a car transporter was unloading, all the unloaded cars were UK imports, and they joined the many others already on the site. So I presume that other dealerships are doing the same thing too in order to survive.

I see this every day, truck loads of UK imports on the N7 going to whatever dealer who brought them in.

Advertisement