Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is the mark 1 Almera the greatest car ever?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    That's not a 1998 corolla though. It's a 1992-1997 corolla.

Right so what's your point a later model Corolla would be substantially better ?...and be comparable to a newer car ?

Ok I hope there's nothing wrong with this ,slower speed Almera crash test video, of an example why newer cars are a better idea in ANY crash scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Bigus wrote: »
    Right so what's your point a later model Corolla would be substantially better ?...and be comparable to a newer car ?

Ok I hope there's nothing wrong with this ,slower speed Almera crash test video, of an example why newer cars are a better idea in ANY crash scenario.

It's e-mickey waving and ramming opinions down others throats. The same type that are high and mighty behind the veil of the internet then block your comments when met with a differing opinion, yet are the opposite in reality; if they ever get out of the parents basement/dormitory

Some idiots will never grasp that some people like cars they don't in their tiny little blinkered world, which does give me something to laugh at.

If the OP likes their car, has been reliable and they intend to keep it I can't see what the problem is, but it seems others don't see it like that and just have to sneer at their choice, just to be pedantic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Bigus wrote: »
    Never said it would be comparable to a newer car but a 1998 corolla is an e11 which is a safer car than the e10 shown in that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

just to add I cant fault my 1993 Mitsubishi colt 1800 gti 16v - seats are a bit ripped but going strong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Badger2009 wrote: »
    Just because farmers like a car wouldn't make it 'the greatest car ever' for me. In fact, I have no interest whatsoever in towing a trailer with my car so I wouldn't rate that at all.

The thing about it is that a farmer will be likely to subject a a grunt car such as an Almera or a VW Vento to the harsh conditions you'd see on a farm - rough roads, dirt, dust, water, and likely subject it to uses, often abusive uses, that it was never intended for such as pulling a cattle box or driving across a field with the back laden down with a quarter ton of feed in the boot and back seat. Couple that with hit-or-miss servicing and the sons rallying it around the local backroads and you have a very very good test of the durability and robustness of the car.

Any car that can put up with that sort of use for a decade or more and not fail has proven itself in my eyes for reliability and robustness. And that is also what I value in a car when buying - something reliable, robust and economical. I couldn't care less about the latest gadgets or they style of the bumber and headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The Almera was so good that Nissan stopped selling cars in that class altogether after its run, and disguised the replacement as an SUV in hopes people would forget the Almera completely.

Which was easily done, since it was a boring car with no memorable features at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015

I've got a 2002 N16 Almera,have had it for 9.5 years now and it's pretty reliable,Before that,I had a 2003 N16 Almera for 2 years but that unfortunately ended in a road accident.The 2002 one drives like a dream on the road,starts up and drives the same since the day I bought it in 2008.MK1 Almera's were good but MK2 Almera's were better in my opinion.We need the new Almera back on Irish Roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Do they still do the Pulsar here? That's basically the "new" Almera with a different name.

No they were gravity fed. I think it was only bigger engines that used mechanical pumps.

Well unless you had the fuel tank on the roof how could it possibly be gravity fed? That's nonsense. It probably had an electric in-tank delivery pump or a mechanical diaphram pump driven off of the engine.

• Advertisement

https://www.motor-doctor.co.uk/products/7634861-fuel-pump

for ..........NISSAN 100 NX, NISSAN ALMERA, NISSAN PRIMERA, NISSAN SUNNY, NISSAN SERENA, NISSAN VANETTE;

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

used to love my mk2 primera despite paint peeling off rust finally got it when one of the straps holding the petrol tank rotted through had a front crossmember replaced , think the guy said a lot of almeras had the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Almera was so good that Nissan stopped selling cars in that class altogether after its run, and disguised the replacement as an SUV in hopes people would forget the Almera completely.

Which was easily done, since it was a boring car with no memorable features at all.
    What about the Tiida that replaced the Almera, or the Pulsar that replaced the Tiida?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

2CV, and a pocket full of open ended spanners...maybe not as sturdy as your Japanese cars, but little or nothing to go wrong, everything mechanical, no computers, no coolant, and you can lift the engine out by hand... Really, what's there not to like...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What about the Tiida that replaced the Almera, or the Pulsar that replaced the Tiida?

Presume people are mixing Almera up with Primera. Primera mk1&2 being fine cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Any car that can put up with that sort of use for a decade or more and not fail has proven itself in my eyes for reliability and robustness. And that is also what I value in a car when buying - something reliable, robust and economical. I couldn't care less about the latest gadgets or they style of the bumber and headlights.

I don't see value in a car that can take punishment. I'd much rather have something that is comfortable, safe, handles well with reasonable performance, and isn't boring as sin to look at - while being totally dependable if you actually look after the thing.

I had a French car that was reliable (outside of normal old car stuff), and it probably couldn't take an awful lot of abuse or neglect but I had no interest in doing that to it so it didn't matter to me. That's not to say I wasn't afraid of "spirited" driving or flooring it...

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What about the Tiida that replaced the Almera

Sorry, no car called the Tiida ever existed in this timeline.

I don't see value in a car that can take punishment. I'd much rather have something that is comfortable, safe, handles well with reasonable performance, and isn't boring as sin to look at - while being totally dependable if you actually look after the thing.

I had a French car that was reliable (outside of normal old car stuff), and it probably couldn't take an awful lot of abuse or neglect but I had no interest in doing that to it so it didn't matter to me. That's not to say I wasn't afraid of "spirited" driving or flooring it...

I get you. I suppose we just have different priorities in what we value in a car. I'd have no interest in looks, va-va-voom, or the gadgetry - none of it is any good in my eyes if it breaks your heart with problems.

I have a 2004 N16 Almera saloon, 1.5 petrol with a few years.

It doesn't get regular servicing. It's reactive hit-or-miss at best.

I went to change the oil about 2 years ago and the plug was so tight the sump metal ripped. I patched up the tear with JB Weld epoxy putty and filled new oil. Due to this botch up, it will never get another oil change.:D

I haven't washed it in about 2 years. It did get a blast of a power hose from a Polish mechanic about 6 months ago when I had him replace my worn down to the metal clutch that had been slipping for about 6 months. He removed 80% of the dirt and I've no intention of washing it again myself either.

There is a leak into the boot somewhere that makes it damp. I don't care.

Some of the backlight bulbs on the centre console are blown and the drivers seat fabric is badky frayed in places. Meh.

The bodywork has had a hard life, lots of dents n scrapes but its OK because the dirt hides most of it.

It's got 2 alloys and 2 steel wheels. The front tyres were worn and I had two steel wheels with good tyres that I put on instead of buying new tyres.

The car cost me 1100 when I got it because its an unpopular model presumably. Despite all the abuse and neglect, it starts and drives every. single. time. period.. It suits my needs and it is fairly economical to run. I will not be parting with it until it is shagged or until insurance costs become unacceptable.

It costs me nothing and I think I'd be mad to get myself into debt just to have a 3 year figure numberplate and the headlight style de jour.

I'll stick with my jalopy dull-box thanks!

Sorry, no car called the Tiida ever existed in this timeline.

Nissan Tiida hatchback
    Overview
    Manufacturer Nissan
    Production 2004–present
    Body and chassis
    Class Subcompact/compact car (C11)
    Compact car (C12)
    Chronology
    Predecessor Nissan Sunny (B15) – Japan
    Nissan Almera/Pulsar/Sentra/Sunny (N16) – international

I went to change the oil about 2 years ago and the plug was so tight the sump metal ripped. I patched up the tear with JB Weld epoxy putty and filled new oil. Due to this botch up, it will never get another oil change.:D............

Could use an oil extractor or just drain it through the filter spot after removing the filter. If you were so inclined :)

• Advertisement

Sure it wouldn't drain through the filter hole. It's too high up.

And I'd have to buy an oil extractor. Nah.

Augeo wrote: »
    Nissan Tiida hatchback
    Overview
    Manufacturer Nissan
    Production 2004–present
    Body and chassis
    Class Subcompact/compact car (C11)
    Compact car (C12)
    Chronology
    Predecessor Nissan Sunny (B15) – Japan
    Nissan Almera/Pulsar/Sentra/Sunny (N16) – international

Nope nope nope

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

2CV, and a pocket full of open ended spanners...maybe not as sturdy as your Japanese cars, but little or nothing to go wrong, everything mechanical, no computers, no coolant, and you can lift the engine out by hand... Really, what's there not to like...

Would the 2cv pull a cow trailer ? Not a chance.The 2cv was for hairdressers.

I know a lad that pulled a Welger round baler around with a VW Vento from time to time if they were stuck for a tractor to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

There's loads of mark 1 almera's on the road,mainly saloon models.when you drive an old almera you notice them more.keep an eye out for them.and they're usually in pretty good condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Had a 99 1.4 sport model, Top car, Rust got it in the end 2016, The manifold exhaust pipe rusted through but honestly no word of a lie her last journey home she drove like a new car straight out of the garage, I loved that car once all serviced parts were maintained she never let me down, her handling on the road was superb.

Mk 2 Almeras (N16) are known to have weak gearboxes. I don't think this was a problem in the Mk1 or N15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Is the mark 1 Almera the greatest car ever?

No.

But definitely one of the most enduring in every day use.

There are a fair number of 90s Almeras driving around. It's comparatively rare enough to see a 90s car that is not either a Nissan or a Toyota. They just don't last as long or are prohibiitvely expesive to fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

But definitely one of the most enduring in every day use.

There are a fair number of 90s Almeras driving around. It's comparatively rare enough to see a 90s car that is not either a Nissan or a Toyota. They just don't last as long or are prohibiitvely expesive to fix.

The almera didn't really last that long though. They were prone to rust. I was looking for one in 2006 and most I seen had developed a good amount of rust underneath despite being only 6-7 years old at the time.

Advertisement