Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for records...

• 22-04-2018 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

According to Roots, James Henderson married Francis Blackburn in Tallow RC in 1861. NLI does not appear to have Tallow marriage records for that period, why?

Last night, I found an interesting 1915 death record for Frances in Belfast (correct age), widow of James Peter Henderson, school teacher. Son, Joseph A. D. registered the death. Searching the 1911 Census, I found Joseph & Frances in Belfast and sure enough, Frances was born in Co. Waterford but Joseph was born in United States. 1901 Census shows that Frances (widow) & Joseph were living in Belfast.

So I'm looking for the birth record of Joseph b circa 1864 in USA and a death record for James Henderson born 1830 +/-10 yrs.

I found an 1865 NY census with a James, wife Frank (spl error!) & son Joseph of 10 months living in Otisco which looked good. However, according to additional census records & family trees, James' wife was Frances May Hill m. 1863.

I found a "missing" US advert in 1865 looking for Frances (Uncle may not have known that she had married).

Frances was also listed on Slater's 1870 back in Tallow. Unlikely to have been another Frances in small place like Tallow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

You seem to have covered the bases - I found an ad in the Belfast Telegraph in which Joseph A.D. Henderson shorthand teacher states no fails among his students.

Have you found this? https://bit.ly/2JhdhPI - Frances's uncle Mathew's daughter Mary Anne Blackburn b. 1843 requested a search of the 1851 Census forms, presumably for pension purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Thanks,
    KildareFan wrote: »
    You seem to have covered the bases - I found an ad in the Belfast Telegraph in which Joseph A.D. Henderson shorthand teacher states no fails among his students.

Have you found this? https://bit.ly/2JhdhPI - Frances's uncle Mathew's daughter Mary Anne Blackburn b. 1843 requested a search of the 1851 Census forms, presumably for pension purposes.

Yes, I had found Mary Anne's 1851 census search record. Coincidentally, Mary died a short time following this census search. I have not been able to locate any descendant of Mary Anne's family. The 2 sons died unmarried and I've yet to find anything on Elizabeth/Lillie Cleary.

JosephH married shortly after his mum's death but no sign of any children for him either.

Advertisement