Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Soldier in 1876

• 09-04-2018 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭

I have found records pertaining to my gg grandmother’s first husband. On their marriage in Wexford in 1876 and on their child’s birth certificate in 1879, he has listed himself as a ‘soldier’.

My history knowledge is failing me completely, but does anyone know what an Irish soldier in the 1870s would be doing?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

He would be in the Empire's army. There was no Irish army then.

Was he a local, or a soldier stationed there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Currently unknown! He died when my gg grandmother was 8 months pregnant, in 1879 of TB. On his death cert he is down as a ‘painter’, in Dublin, but on the marriage cert and the child’s birth cert a month later his occupation is ‘Soldier’.

I haven’t managed to find out where he was from, he gives an address in Wexford (where the bride was from) at the time of the marriage but that doesn’t mean much. I have a fathers name but have yet to find out where he comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Alicat wrote: »
    Currently unknown! He died when my gg grandmother was 8 months pregnant, in 1879 of TB. On his death cert he is down as a ‘painter’, in Dublin, but on the marriage cert and the child’s birth cert a month later his occupation is ‘Soldier’.

I haven’t managed to find out where he was from, he gives an address in Wexford (where the bride was from) at the time of the marriage but that doesn’t mean much. I have a fathers name but have yet to find out where he comes from.

Did you try the church records? they often mention the regiment, as they moved from barracks to barracks.

If you find the regiment you have some hope oftrcing where he was from.

Advertisement