Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pronunciation of the word "Raghad" in Irish?

Options
  • 16-03-2018 11:19am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43

How do you pronounce "Raghad" in irish? Little sister is practicing poetry for leaving cert. Her Irish teacher says it's "rock-ed" but she is sure it's "ride" from listening to audios of the poem she is learning?

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,708 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

That's Munster Irish so I'm not sure but my instinct is to lean towards your sister's pronunciation but logic suggests the teacher's pronunciation as it's a Munster conjugation of the verb "téigh" and would be "rachaidh mé" (rock-he may) under the Caighdeán.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Agree with Hullaballoo. My pronunciation would be akin to “rock-ed”. The glories of the Irish language dialects

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭pandoraj09

"Ride" is definitely a correct way of pronouncing it. I assume it's An Spailpín Fánach. This pronunciation fits the metre of the poem the best also. For Leaving Cert Poetry for the Oral anyway, not every word has to be spot on correct as a native speaker would say it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 secondc

I would definitely use 'rye-ud'(almost as if it's two syllables), as she had been taught.

Have a look at youtube and check for 'Gaelport' and 'an spailpín fánach '. Very clear and accurate readings aimed to help students preparing for the poems in the oral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

SazSarsh wrote: »
    How do you pronounce "Raghad" in irish? Little sister is practicing poetry for leaving cert. Her Irish teacher says it's "rock-ed" but she is sure it's "ride" from listening to audios of the poem she is learning?
    ride, except with a broad "d" - the sound a lot of us in Ireland make at the beginning of the words "the, this, that", and at the end of the words "breathe, meath, louth". Not as it's pronounced in standard English, or in Ulster.

So it would rhyme with the word blyth, lithe, scythe and tithe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭David Webb

In Munster Irish, the pronunciation is not quite "ride". It is /rəid/.
    /ə/ is a neutral vowel, like the final vowel in the word "sofa".

As people in this thread have said, in other dialects it is rachaidh mé, but this is not pronounced "rock-he may". Ch in Irish is a guttural sound like the j in Spanish or the ch in German - and also the ch in the Scottish word loch (which is an Irish word). This is /ra:xə m'e:/ in Conemara Irish (pronunciation given in phonetic script in the foclóir to Caint Ros Muc available from the Dublin Institute of Advanced Studies).

For the same reason "rock-ed" doesn't mean anything in Irish. An Irish "ch" is not a k sound. And in any case, the gh in raghad shows a diphthong and is not pronounced as a consonant.

Advertisement