Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Throwback Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Csalem

Another week and another hop back a decade to 2010. Dublin Bus AX 522 is seen departing Hawkins Street with a service on route 51B to Grange Castle. Although the 51 was synonymous with Clondalkin since 1927, the 51B only came into being in 1981. Originally the terminus was Bawnogue but in the 1990s it moved to Dunawley. In 1997 it became a CitySwift route, replacing the 51 as the main bus route to Clondalkin. The business park at Grange Castle became its terminus and remained so until the route was absorbed into the new, cross-city route 13 in October 2011 under the Network Direct revisions.
    AX 522 was delivered new to Dublin Bus in 2006. Originally it operated out of Conyngham Road garage, before moving to Ringsend. In 2013 it moved to Donnybrook and it is still there today.
    The background has changed substantially over the last three years or so. The Screen Cinema was demolished in 2019, along with College House beside it. Demolition of Hawkins House, which dominates the background, began in 2020. Hawkins Street is also now home to the tram tracks of the Luas Green Line.
    05/11/2010

50569588793_0c2f922008_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (252) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

This week we are going back to 1988 and to D 720 on Aston Quay with a 79 to Ballyfermot.Route 79 to Ballyfermot began in 1949. The original terminus was on Kylemore Road before being extended to Cherry Orchard Avenue in 1985. In the early 1990s it was then extended to Spiddal Park where it still terminates today. The early 2000s saw it share a lot of its routing with the 79A which operates to Parkwest.
    D 720 was delivered new to Limerick in 1975. It moved to Dublin in 1986 and operated out of Conyngham Road Garage until 1993, when it was withdrawn. It was sold for scrap in 1994.
    11/11/1988

50594335951_405b1f8f7f_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (253) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Csalem wrote: »
    This week we are going back to 1988 and to D 720 on Aston Quay with a 79 to Ballyfermot.Route 79 to Ballyfermot began in 1949. The original terminus was on Kylemore Road before being extended to Cherry Orchard Avenue in 1985. In the early 1990s it was then extended to Spiddal Park where it still terminates today. The early 2000s saw it share a lot of its routing with the 79A which operates to Parkwest.
    D 720 was delivered new to Limerick in 1975. It moved to Dublin in 1986 and operated out of Conyngham Road Garage until 1993, when it was withdrawn. It was sold for scrap in 1994.
    11/11/1988

50594335951_405b1f8f7f_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (253) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Wahey. Finally we have one of my local routes from when I was a childer.

I zoomed on that bus in the hope I knew someone. I did not. :)

Great photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭clunked

The 79 was a route when it converted to OPO, had a drop in passenger numbers but a rise in revenue! It was also one of the first routes to convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

clunked wrote: »
    The 79 was a route when it converted to OPO, had a drop in passenger numbers but a rise in revenue! It was also one of the first routes to convert.

Many a house was bought from the 2nd ticket machine and other fiddles....

Even the cash office where it was counted was known to lose money, suppose anything fell on the floor could be anyone's money....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

Many a house was bought from the 2nd ticket machine and other fiddles....

Indeed, I knew a bloke who bought a house out of a 2nd ticket machine on the CIE train buffets.

His saying was "you can't beat a good ALMEX....!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭clunked

On my first day as a bus conductor, I dropped my machine, was given a replacement which had me about £30 up at the end of the day. Checked the paper work, all in order. Gave the machine to a rather puzzled supervisor who I'm sure was interested who had the machine before me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

91wx763 wrote: »
    Indeed, I knew a bloke who bought a house out of a 2nd ticket machine on the CIE train buffets.

His saying was "you can't beat a good ALMEX....!!!"

I know a former conductor that also made good use of a second machine, he finished his career in the top ranks of one of the CIE group companies.

This week we are going back to 1985, and to KD 157 on route 48A. The 48A initially started in 1928 and operated between the city centre and Goatstown. In 1933 it switched terminus to Ballinteer where it replaced some of the services on route 48 that ran there. The bus route ran via Ranelagh, Milltown and Dundrum, and lasted until August 2011.Under Network Direct the 14 became the main bus route between Dundrum and the Ballinteer, along with the 75. Milltown was served by a new route 61 which terminated in Whitechurch. The former 48A terminus in Ballinteer at Broadford just became a regular stop. The 48A did outlast route 48, which ceased operating in 1966.
    KD 157 was delivered new to Dublin in 1982. It operated out of Donnybrook Garage and was withdrawn from regular duties around 1996. It then joined the driving school and remained there until at least 2000.
    The bus is seen parked on Burgh Quay at the junction with Hawkins Street. Dublin Bus no longer terminate routes along the quay here, but some private operators do The memorial beside it has been relocated to behind the camera in more recent times due to the Luas Cross City tramline which crosses over from Marlborough Street on the north side of the River Liffey at this point. The first phase of the Luas Green Line was also a factor in the demise of the 48A.
    19/11/1985

50620803838_04fdae0fb1_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (254) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

The bus is seen parked on Burgh Quay at the junction with Hawkins Street. Dublin Bus no longer terminate routes along the quay here, but some private operators do The memorial beside it has been relocated to behind the camera in more recent times due to the Luas Cross City tramline which crosses over from Marlborough Street on the north side of the River Liffey at this point. The first phase of the Luas Green Line was also a factor in the demise of the 48A.
    19/11/1985

50620803838_04fdae0fb1_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (254) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

My old bus route - sadly missed. The 48A terminated on Hawkins Street (turning from Tara street onto Poolbeg street to get there) but on many occasions (especially during the late 1980's) the terminus would locate to Burgh quay, sometimes for months on end. Usually due to roadworks or other issues.

• Advertisement

I always find it a pleasant journey along the old 48A (and the current 44 / 61 ) route between the city and Dundrum.

Another trip back thirty-five years this week, except to the northside of the River Liffey and to D 369 on O'Connell Street. The bus is operating a service on route 3 from Sandymount to Larkhill. Route 3 can trace its origins back to the original Dublin tram network, but the bus route started in 1940. The route was pretty consistent over the decades, although some were extended to UCD Belfield around 1990. The route was abolished in 2012 under Network Direct, when it was mostly replaced by new route 1. This new route had its northern terminus in Santry, with the 44 extended north to terminate in Larkhill.
    D 369 was delivered new to Dublin in 1970 and was withdrawn in 1986.
    This bus is parked outside the BHS (British Home Stores) shop on O"Connell Street. This opened here in the 1980s but closed in 1992. BHS reopened again in the Jervis Shopping Centre in 1996 but only lasted until 1998. The store on O'Connell Street is now home to Penneys.
    27/11/1985

50648545658_9a8a6b268c_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (255) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

This week we are going back a mere eight years and two very different generations of buses. Dublin Bus EV 9 is seen parked on Marlborough Street after arriving with a service on route 130 from Castle Avenue. Behind it is preserved RA 37 dressed for the long-gone route 30 to Dollymount.
    EV 37 is an Enviro 400 built by Alexander Dennis on a Volvo chassis in 2007. It is currently still in service with Dublin Bus, and has spent all of its career (so far) in Clontarf Garage. RA 37 is a Leyland Titan PD3/2 that was delivered new to CIE in 1959. It spent its entire career in Dublin, initially in Ringsend Garage, and ended its days in Clontarf Garage. It arrived there in 1976 and was withdrawn un 1982, when it passed to preservation.
    Route 30 commenced running between the City Centre and Dollymount in 1937. In 1996 it was combined with the 44A to become City Imp route 130. In the early 2000s the route was subsumed into the regular network as the City Imp brand was slowly dropped.
    This layover on Marlborough Street has in more recent times become a tram stop on the Luas Green Line. 02/12/2012

50676474287_63c5fae39f_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (256) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Csalem, always enjoyed your photos, both here and on flickr.

Two questions, what year did you take your first photo and how did you get in the hobby?

Its a disgrace Joe!

Would love a spin on the old type... Was never on one, would love a shot driving too.
    Also would love a go in an old train....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Would love a spin on the old type... Was never on one, would love a shot driving too. ..

Not so easy without power steering.

tabbey wrote: »
    Not so easy without power steering.

I get that but I'd say I'd be ok.. get given out to for breaking things ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I get that but I'd say I'd be ok.. get given out to for breaking things ;-)

You'd break your aorta before you'd break the steering column on a Titan. They were not make for the breakers yard :)

d51984 wrote: »
    Csalem, always enjoyed your photos, both here and on flickr.

Two questions, what year did you take your first photo and how did you get in the hobby?

Thanks. I got my first camera in the mid-1990s but mostly photographed trains and not very often as film expensive to develop and had to save my pocket money. I had a dreadful period in the beginning where figures and other items would appear in the shots, thankfully I think I have improved since then. :)

My father has always photographed buses and trains so that is where it came from. The older pictures I post here are his, whereas digital shots are mine. I have only really got serious about bus photography in last decade or so.

Anyone interested in some great photos of old buses should check out this Flickr photostream by Des Willis:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/187468326@N04

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Anyone interested in some great photos of old buses should check out this Flickr photostream by Des Willis:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/187468326@N04

Have you managed to get a few shots of his KC?

Have you managed to get a few shots of his KC?

No not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Old liveries look best.

That old plum and cream livery of Dublin buses could've almost have been as distinctive and iconic as the red London double decker by now. They would have looked fantastic going around College Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Old liveries look best.

That old plum and cream livery of Dublin buses could've almost have been as distinctive and iconic as the red London double decker by now. They would have looked fantastic going around College Green.

That, the tan, the double green and the current DB liveries are great.

I would love after a period of the NTA takeover process properly bedding in that we go back to a proper "city livery" for all of our cities.

This week we go back thirty-seven years to 1983. KD 110 is seen in Beresford Place with a service on route 27B to Castletimon. This route started operating in 1971 and operated via Fairview, Malahide Road and Ardlea Road. It did a loop around the housing estate in Castletimon. In the late-1990s it started serving Beaumont Hospital by looping in off Kilbarron Road. In the early 200s the route was extended north to Harristown Garage via Santry, but it still did the loop around Beaumont Hospital and the one around Castletimon. Harristown Garage also became responsible for operating the route, although the 27 and 27A stayed in Clontarf Garage. In the early days of Network Direct there was a proposal to merge the route with the 79/A and it would operate from Park West to Coolock Lane. A pull in spot was even built on Coolock Lane but it the merger did not happen. Then in 2016 a timetable appeared where the route would again operate from Coolock Lane to Heuston Station. However, after objections from people in Santry who would lose their link with Beaumont Hospital, this never happened either. Bus Connects may finally see off the 27B over the next few years.
    KD 110 was delivered new to Dublin in 1982. It was withdrawn in the mid-1990s.
    No bus stops at this point in Beresford Square anymore as it is now the route of the tram tracks for the Luas Red Line. The 27B has its terminus on Eden Quay. 09/12/1983

50703365856_f919933e33_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (257) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

This week we are going back ten years and to the final year of another bus route in Dublin. Dublin Bus VG 35 is seen at the terminus of the 20B on Ardlea Road. Except it is not. In reality it is Maryfield Road (just off Ardlea Road) in Beaumont. The 20B has a relatively short history, tracing its roots back to 1979. It was a derivative of the 20, which started running on 1939. However, during the 1980s the 20B came to replace the 20 as the main route to the Beaumont area via the Malahide Road. Initially the 20B had Bulfin Road as its southern terminus but it was cut back to the city centre after a decade. Some peak services continued to serve St Stephen's Green. In August 2011 the 20B was merged with the 14 and became the new cross city route 14 to Dundrum.
    VG 35 was delivered new to Dublin Bus in 2009. It was one of fifty Wright Gemini double-deckers delivered to the company between 2008 and 2009. They marked the beginning of the Wrights dominance on the fleet as they were followed by 160 GTs and over 600 SGs. 2021 will be the first time in a long time that new double-deckers will enter service with Dublin that are not built by Wrights in Northern Ireland. VG 34 - 50 were based in Summerhill Garage. VG 36 - 48 were used on Airlink services and painted in Airlink livery, while the remaining four buses could appear on regular services as well as on the Airlink. However, around 2015 all four were repainted out of the yellow / blue standard livery and into Airlink livery for use on the 747, and later the 757. They can still appear sometimes on routes like the 16. 18/12/2010

50730629426_372a13321f_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (258) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

This week we are going back thirty-two years and a look at a future that could have been MD 1 is seen on Marlborough Street after arriving with a service on route 32. MD 1 was one of two demonstrators evaluated by Dublin Bus in late 1988 as it considered what new buses to purchase to modernise its fleet. The bus was an MCW Metrobus with a Cummins engine. The bus was used in all Dublin Bus garages during its time in Ireland. When it returned to the UK it was sold to Stevenson's. MCW were obviously keen to get the contract to supply buses to Ireland as they painted the bus up in Dublin Bus livery. The second demonstrator was a Leyland Olympian and it came in an all white livery. However, between 1990 and 1999, 640 Olympians entered service with Dublin Bus, compared to 0 Metrobus's. The streets of Dublin could have looked very different if the order had gone the other way.
    Route 32 can trace its origins back to the Great Northern Railway (Ireland), and passed to CIE in 1958. It mainly operated between Dublin and Portmarnock, with some services to Malahide operating as route 32A. In November 2012, routes 32 and 32A were merged into just the 32 and operates from Dublin to Malahide via Portmarnock.
    23/12/1988

50755624957_f6b41fc17e_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (259) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

MCW failing to get that order was a significant part of their financial failure and closedown the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Personally I'm glad that we ended up with the Olympian. That MCW looks like a poor knock off visually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Personally I'm glad that we ended up with the Olympian. That MCW looks like a poor knock off visually.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The Olympian is the model that saved Dublin Bus.

Advertisement