Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes-Benz CLS, to buy or not to buy?

• 18-02-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Long time Motors lurker, first time poster ;o)

My auld 2001 Opel Astra (1.4 petrol) is due it's NCT this week and I suspect it might be on the way out.

I've done a good bit of looking around and like the look of these....

2006 Merc CLS 3.5 petrol for 8,950...
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-cls-350-2006/6435130

2006 Merc CLS 3.5 Petrol for 6,950....
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/CLS-Class/350-4DR/37013896263797610/advert?channel=CARS

I would be looking at getting an LPG conversion (I've been following that thread with interest) and my annual mileage is about 7 or 8 thousand miles so I'm not too worried about running costs. I'd keep the car for about 5 years (or until it dies!) so not too worried about resale value either!

My driving is mostly urban so I should avoid the 2.9 diesel I think, I don't do enough miles either.

So, do people think they are a good car or is there anything I should look out for?

I would get a full check up done by the AA or a mechanic before buying of course to check for any potential issues, and have the tips from the buying a car sticky noted down too.

Thanks for any advice ;o)

Cheers,
    Alan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd sooner an equivalent E class saloon (or estate). More spacious, more elegant, and cheaper to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Didn't realise these had dropped so much on price.

They are nice but very ostentatious if you ask me.

Still beauty is in the eye of the beholder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd sooner an equivalent E class saloon (or estate). More spacious, more elegant, and cheaper to boot.

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, I love the new E Class Coupe, but in my price range (as low as possible!!) I prefer the CLS's ;o)

I like the idea that the CLS would have cost a fortune initially, and now because the running costs are so high, you can pick up a solid machine for not much more than 6 grand!!

Cheers,
    Al.

Didn't realise these had dropped so much on price.

They are nice but very ostentatious if you ask me.

Still beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Yeah, I should keep it a secret until I buy mine ha ha! I was looking for something a bit different to the usual so this kinda fits the bill. Also, they seem to come with all the extras (heated seats, air con, cruise control etc).

Cheers,
    Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Yeah, I should keep it a secret until I buy mine ha ha! I was looking for something a bit different to the usual so this kinda fits the bill. Also, they seem to come with all the extras (heated seats, air con, cruise control etc).

Cheers,
    Al.

There is a guy who lives near me and also owns a 2007 St who was saying he might swap to one. Didn't realise they are relatively comparable to buy

That being said suspension parts for mercs can break you so beware :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,547 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If you're doing only about 7k miles per year, an LPG install will only save you a bit of money if you're going to keep the car for several years. I'm a bit like yourself, considered LPG, but decided to leave it.

Also, the V6 in the CLS 350 is not a great engine imho. I'd try and find a CLS 500 with the mighty V8 engine :)

It won't cost you any more to buy, tax or insure and not much more in petrol. It will be harder to find in this country though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

you are going from an 01 Astra to a CLS? :confused: Would you not go for an E class or 5 series, A6 etc with an engine up to 2.5L? It is a stupid amount of car you get though for that money in fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

A lot of be grudgers out there, don't let them grind you down OP!
    Too much boring **** on the roads in Ireland, as said above get the v8 if you can!

I would be looking at getting an LPG conversion (I've been following that thread with interest) and my annual mileage is about 7 or 8 thousand miles so I'm not too worried about running costs. I'd keep the car for about 5 years (or until it dies!) so not too worried about resale value either!
    There effectively wont be any resale value at that stage anyway to be honest. If going for LPG, Id get it from day 1, start saving asap, 6-8,000 miles on that big beast of city driving wont be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnxF

I think they're fantastic looking cars and definitely on my future list - especially at those prices. For your mileage it's petrol all the way too. I'd be with Unkel on the V8 though. Same tax, probably not much worse fuel consumption. I can definitely recommend a Merc V8. But if you do get one, you'll find it hard to ever go back to a more 'normal' car afterwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

unkel wrote: »
    If you're doing only about 7k miles per year, an LPG install will only save you a bit of money if you're going to keep the car for several years. I'm a bit like yourself, considered LPG, but decided to leave it.

Also, the V6 in the CLS 350 is not a great engine imho. I'd try and find a CLS 500 with the mighty V8 engine :)

It won't cost you any more to buy, tax or insure and not much more in petrol. It will be harder to find in this country though

would a lpg tank fit in the boot ??

noelf wrote: »
    would a lpg tank fit in the boot ??

They can replace the spare tyre with a doughnut shaped tank apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

V8 all the way.

Make sure it's the 2006 onward model with the 5.5 388 bhp V8 (the 2005 has 308bhp)

I think the cls500 are on air suspension aswell.

LPG, V8's and aftermarket exhausts are a match made in heaven. Ask me how I know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Fiesta

I like the CLS alot, but the drivers side front wing looks off colour on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Do it!

They are a fantastic looking car and a real head turner, a car I would definitely love to own someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

One of these in acceptable condition should be costing you €9-10k. Regardless of your LPG conversion, I wouldnt want the heartache that one going for the quoted price will inevitably give you as fixing them is frankly an obscene exercise.

And thats not begrudgery, thats trying to save our OP from buying a money pit. Go get an E200, do the LPG, and enjoy the ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I think they are lovely, but seriously be careful if you go for the 5 litre V8 or anything like it, my friend had a CL500 2004 car and it got 8 (yes, eight) miles to the gallon in suburban driving. I have been in it and driven it so its not a second hand story. I'm not afraid of high consumption, I drive a 525i petrol auto and its heavyish on fuel but don't think I could stomach 8 mpg. You often hear fuel is only a small part but in this case it would be a large part, you are getting into 1 euro per mile territory here. Bet the advisers don't drive a 5 litre!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johnr3

LPG is bad. Only Petrol

bmwguy wrote: »
    I think they are lovely, but seriously be careful if you go for the 5 litre V8 or anything like it, my friend had a CL500 2004 car and it got 8 (yes, eight) miles to the gallon in suburban driving. I have been in it and driven it so its not a second hand story. I'm not afraid of high consumption, I drive a 525i petrol auto and its heavyish on fuel but don't think I could stomach 8 mpg. You often hear fuel is only a small part but in this case it would be a large part, you are getting into 1 euro per mile territory here. Bet the advisers don't drive a 5 litre!

His car is in a mechanical mess in that case. I've had an extended load of a CL500 before, and it was 14-18mpg around town, and motorway 27-32.

Around the same as my 4.3 V8 lexus.

Looking around, it seems the 2006 5.5 model will be out of budget. But nearly 310bhp from the 2005 would "do" wouldn't it ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-MERCEDES-BENZ-CLS-CLS500-4dr-Tip-Auto-5-0-RED-LEATHER-SAT-NAV-SUNROOF-/221321496352?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3387ca0720

Get £800 off the asking an it's about 7500 euro. VRT is 1800 euro.

For a 2 owner car, nice spec and a FMBSH that's not a bad price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

daRobot wrote: »
    His car is in a mechanical mess in that case. I've had an extended load of a CL500 before, and it was 14-18mpg around town, and motorway 27-32.

Possibly it was, it seemed to drive fine to me though, just an absolute pig on fuel. Anyway, this is about CLS, don't think he will buy a 5.0 though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Op get the car you want and don't worry about what others think. I never ever buy cars on their potential resale value etc. as then you end up buying a car for the next owner. Life is short enough.

All I can add is you don't do enough mileage to get LPG but I'm not a fan of LPG anyways plus get the biggest engine you can afford and enjoy it!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Not all that familiar with these. But had a neighbor who had one of that vintage not too long ago, and it was costing him a lot in purely maintenance, I think it was suspension and the likes. But as I said, pretty clueless when it comes to mercs. Worth taking into consideration though.

Lovely looking cars, but plenty of great cheap gas guzzlers out there to pick from too.

I drive a 525i petrol auto and its heavyish on fuel but don't think I could stomach 8 mpg. You often hear fuel is only a small part but in this case it would be a large part, you are getting into 1 euro per mile territory here.
    Exactly, the annual mileage may be low, but the mpg in one of those yokes will mean E50-60 a week I am guessing, not insane, but high given the small mileage. I'm also driving a 325 manual and thats at the limit for me, I wouldnt driver anything thirstier...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fair play OP, not every day you read a thread here about someone moving from the likes of an Astra to a CLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnxF

daRobot wrote: »

I've a 98 CL420 (V8). I've averaged just under 20mpg over the last year, mostly around town. I can get 25 or so on the motorway and would expect that a 06 V8 would be more economical all round . Short start/stop kills any car consumption, big engine or small. My wife's 1.4 Micra doesn't get more than 30 around town. Which would you rather drive?

At 1.50 per litre, over 7,500 miles the difference between 25mpg and 50mpg in fuel costs is 1,000 euro. That's relatively (note relatively, I'm not saying it's not a lot of money) small compared to the cost of running a car especially when you factor in car loans/depreciation and other costs people never seem to count. It's not all about the road tax and MPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭ek9er

I bought a CLS 500 last year and love it, the running costs should not be much more than the 350 and you get the smile on your face from the v8

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

Hi,

Long time Motors lurker, first time poster ;o)

My auld 2001 Opel Astra (1.4 petrol) is due it's NCT this week and I suspect it might be on the way out.

I've done a good bit of looking around and like the look of these....

2006 Merc CLS 3.5 petrol for 8,950...
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-cls-350-2006/6435130

2006 Merc CLS 3.5 Petrol for 6,950....
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/CLS-Class/350-4DR/37013896263797610/advert?channel=CARS

My driving is mostly urban so I should avoid the 2.9 diesel I think, I don't do enough miles either.

So, do people think they are a good car or is there anything I should look out for?

I would get a full check up done by the AA or a mechanic before buying of course to check for any potential issues, and have the tips from the buying a car sticky noted down too.

Thanks for any advice ;o)

Cheers,
    Alan.

you do realise the tax on this heap is 1,566+EUROS PER YEAR!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

you do realise the tax on this heap is 1,566+EUROS PER YEAR!!!

Which is why you are buying a car that originally cost over €70k new for under 10% of that now. ;)

Best stick to your €200 tax a year econobox then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Probably the nicest looking Merc and frankly any kind of 4 door GT in many years. The latest CLS looks terrible in comparison. I would budget for suspension bushes, balljoints etc as they eat them apparently. The 350 has serious reliability problems on the chain potentially writing off the engine. The 500 v8 is a better bet as is the diesel.
    Running costs should be no more than brand new small engine Golf and I know which Id rather.

Advertisement