Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PARKING in middle of T junction - Garda said "no traffic flow affected"

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

This actually goes a long way to explaining some of the bad driving I see every day I'm on the roads.

That someone would actually go around the corner like that, and THEN hammer the horn at the driver going about their business goes a long way to explaining bad drivers - they actually think they are in the right.

OP, even if there wasn't a car parked in the entire estate, I would be down to a crawl going around that corner. With parked cars, I would be stopped. I used to have a similar junction leaving my last house. Even though there was room for 2 cars to pass, despite all the cars parked on the junction, there certainly wasn't room for one to pull out.

Twice in 4 years in that estate, I misjudged (poor view around a Jeep/Van ... poor concetration really) and pulled out a bit only to see a car coming down on the left. I immediately apologised, got a smile and wave on to complete my turn on both occasions.

You see, that's how rational people drive. They approach junctions with parked cars with care. Realistically, you need to yield left and right in these situations. There was never anything even close to an accident on my two slips because:
    1. I had actually stopped before moving on both occasions, so I merely edged out <1m
    2. The cars coming in the opposite direction understand the hazard and are proceeding with caution

No horns, no confrontation, no hypothetical arguments about "who would have been in the wrong" with the other driver. Me waving an apology for being a douche, them accepting it and appreciating it's a tricky situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭dantastic

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Is it legal for kids to be playing on roads in estates?
    What about people walking their dogs off a lead?

Im assuming neither are to the letter of the law but that doesnt make it any easier for the driver who ends up killing or seriously injuring someone partaking in this.

Ill repeat for the last time, private housing estates are a lot (not all) of the time exempt from RTA's because they are not owned by the local county council so the parking situation is NOT black and white. Dangerous driving is.

Park wherever you want, because children.

/ thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭cpoh1

dantastic wrote: »
    / thread?

Yes.

Can control own behaviour and driving.

Cannot control external influences such as children, parked cars and other peoples behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

DubTony wrote: »
    Cause and effect! If the car wasn't parked illegally there (probably) wouldn't be a guy tearing around the place recording his shoddy driving habits and almost getting involved in accidents.

There is no such thing as cause and effect in this situation; we are each responsible for our own driving. The car might be parked illegally, but its not directly going to cause an accident; if an accident occurs it will be because the OP is tearing around corners and through junctions when they know full well it might not be safe to do so. That is on them and nobody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

rolion wrote: »

OP's videos would be great for the "Dash cam saves nails your ass" thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Park wherever you want, because children.

/ thread?

Drive at 200mph around a housing estate ......... because one car is parked in a dodgy spot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

djimi wrote: »
    There is no such thing as cause and effect in this situation; we are each responsible for our own driving. The car might be parked illegally, but its not directly going to cause an accident; if an accident occurs it will be because the OP is tearing around corners and through junctions when they know full well it might not be safe to do so. That is on them and nobody else.

I guess I was being a bit cryptic. And I agree with you completely. In my example the cause was the illegally parked car, with the effect being the OP tearing up the roads armed with a dash cam and an attitude trying to prove a point.

cpoh1 wrote: »
    You're less smart and more smartypants unfortunately Tony :P

No ... Wait ... Wait

Gotta get the last word in.

Watch the video. As the idiot in the SUV OP arrives at the junction, it's easy to see the green road sign on the grass verge opposite. Green road signs are put in place by the council.* So ... therefore this must be an estate that has been taken in hand by the council so is not a private estate.

BOOOOM !!!!!

*This statement may or may not be correct, and may or may not lead to the rest of the comment being untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

Read all this and ignoring the silly driving, the only thing that will fix this situation throughout the country is when everyone actually comes to a full stop at every junction. Bit like the US. You will see everyone come to a full stop at every single junction because it is the law before proceeding. I saw this happen myself at a completely clear junction in the US. We would have looked and continued rolling forward before accelerating, never fully stopping.

Is OP getting "right of way" and believing it to be "right has way". First posts back after 7 months believes that right lane is clear therefore he is clear despite coming from a minor to a major road .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Would you care to compile a comprehensive list of laws and regulations it's OK not to follow?

Is it OK to park in the middle of the t junction, how about smack in the middle of the road? Sideways? Sure, what's the harm? If you don't like it don't dive here!

Laws and regulations are really simple, they are black ans white. It doesn't matter what you think is ok.

If you can't fit 1/2/3 or however many cars you need on your own drive way maybe YOU should consider moving somewhere else?

Exactly you can't ignore laws. The OP and the car are both breaking the law. The issue is that the OPs law breaking is the more dangerous as he's aware of the danger yet chooses to ignore it and think that it's perfectly fine to drive at speed into a blind junction. If the illegally parked car wasn't there the OPs driving is still dangerous, as has been pointed out numerous times there are other road users who could be on the section of road the OP is driving into without checking if it's clear and they don't have airbags to protect them.

If the Gardaí arrived at the junction the OP would be getting more tickets than the illegally parked car.
    This post has been deleted.

Since when is pointing out that driving at speed in a housing estate and not stopping, or even slowing down, when going around a blind junction getting on a high horse? If a driver is making a mistake is it better to inform them or allow it to continue, which could lead to serious injuries, in case it offends the driver?

Something that has been overlooked here is that the OP isn't actually entering another road. The picture he posted at the start of the thread shows that the road he's on, and the road he's going onto are the same. The other road "at the top of the T" is different. So proper road markings would have a yield on that road while a continuous white line would go around the corner, leaving the road the OP is on, and travelling onto, with free flowing traffic. Of course the addition of a continuous white line would make it obvious that the illegally parked car is indeed parked illegally. Assuming that everybody in the area is aware of this it might explain why he comes around the corner in the way that he does.
    Not that it changes anything. Still a silly way to enter a junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

DubTony wrote: »
    Something that has been overlooked here is that the OP isn't actually entering another road. The picture he posted at the start of the thread shows that the road he's on, and the road he's going onto are the same. The other road "at the top of the T" is different. So proper road markings would have a yield on that road while a continuous white line would go around the corner, leaving the road the OP is on, and travelling onto, with free flowing traffic. Of course the addition of a continuous white line would make it obvious that the illegally parked car is indeed parked illegally. Assuming that everybody in the area is aware of this it might explain why he comes around the corner in the way that he does.
    Not that it changes anything. Still a silly way to enter a junction.

Unless there's markings on the road to signifying that the turn is the major road then you assume that the top of the T is the main road. Even if the OP is on the major road that doesn't remove the fact that they are taking the corner too fast to stop on their own side of the road in the distance they can see is clear. I'm getting tired of pointing out that there's more than cars on the wrong side of the road that the OP is putting at risk by taking the corner, or entering a main road, at the speed posted in both videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

OP 100% in the wrong here.

You are overtaking the parked cars on your left as you immediately exit the corner. In doing so, you drive right into the path of an incoming car. How is driving into the path of an incoming car ever acceptable?

There is no need to be blasting the horn like that either. Depending on the person driving the other car (e.g. elderly person), they could be really shook up after that.

Your consideration of the people around you on the road leaves a lot to be desired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Del2005 wrote: »
    Unless there's markings on the road to signifying that the turn is the major road then you assume that the top of the T is the main road. Even if the OP is on the major road that doesn't remove the fact that they are taking the corner too fast to stop on their own side of the road in the distance they can see is clear. I'm getting tired of pointing out that there's more than cars on the wrong side of the road that the OP is putting at risk by taking the corner, or entering a main road, at the speed posted in both videos.
    At the speed posted in both videos, bot the OP and the other driver were able to come to a stop in the distance they can see is clear.
    I'm off out now to drive on the wrong side of the road, and sure if someone comes out of a side road and hits me, according to a lot of posters here, it will be their fault. I could do with someone elses insurance paying for my next car.:D

• Administrators Posts: 13,746 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

pablo128 wrote: »
    I'm off out now to drive on the wrong side of the road, and sure if someone comes out of a side road and hits me, according to a lot of posters here, it will be their fault.

If you're passing an obstruction... And have started the maneuver with a clear road ahead of you before the other driver hits you.

So make sure you get the timing right ;)

Advertisement