Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D Graphics Card PCI (3dfx ?)

• 24-03-2019 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭

ITEM: Looking for a 3D graphics card for a retro PC build, only have PCI slots available and already have an ATI Rage II+ installed so think a 3dFX accelerator may be the best option ?
    Open to other options that'll work in a Win98 AMD K6-II box

POST\COLLECTION: Post
    PRICE: Price is negotiable.
    PAYMENT METHODS: Paypal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If I remember correctly, I had a computer with those exact specs and upgraded it with a PCI Voodoo 2 back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I've a FirePro V4800 here if you want it?
    Sorry just realised its PCIe
    I might have another at home, I'll check later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Cheers,
    I was just given a nice Compaq tower & monitor so thought it would be nice to throw together a DOS/Win98 gaming setup. Which no doubt will just get abandoned in the corner after I've finished it....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, I had a computer with those exact specs and upgraded it with a PCI Voodoo 2 back in the day.

Think they're also the specs of the first PC I bought for myself, a Compaq Presario **** with a K6II 450Mhz chip.

I upgraded it with a Voodoo 32000 PCI card, and was literally blown away changing from software rendering in Half Life, to hardware rendering. I was a fully paid up member of the pc brigade from then on :o

Its a Presario 7477 alright.

Ah I'm just building this for a bit of fun and as a distraction from other broken stuff :)

Found a heap of updates and patches for Win98 from just a few years ago, lots of unofficial updates to add NTFS, full USB support etc... mad really !!

Trying to de-dosbox some of my GOG library is proving interesting !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

o1s1n wrote: »

Could also look at a Voodoo Banshee card which was the first of the 2D/3D cards (bringing 32 bit colour); replacing the need to have the Voodoo 2 as a dedicated 3D card slaved to an existing 2D card. Ironically was cheaper than the Voodoo 2 at launch too. Went into the then Virgin Games store on Dawson st. with a few mates to get a Voodoo 2 and we spotted the Banshee which had just been released. Tecnically the Voodoo 2 was the better 3D performer but as an overall upgrade the Banshee was much better, particularly if you had some naff on-board (or weak PCI) VGA card. Much like Inviere relates being blown way with the hardware rendering on HL, likewise when I got the belatedly updated 3dfx/OpenGL drivers to take advantage of the banshee for Quake 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I have a few PCIe cards, might have a PCI Voodoo somewhere, will take a look.

Anything else you need?

Have a bunch of PCI-e and AGP cards as well, going to rebuild my old AthlonX2 as a modest XP gaming rig as well :)

I just pulled the trigger on a 'Orchid Righteous 3DFX Voodoo' (same as what I bought many years ago in the Megastore) and a Nvidia Geforce 2 MX which should be great for the Win98 stuff. I'll keep the Voodoo for the DOS Glide games.

I could do with a working 3.5" floppy drive though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Will have a gander at the pile

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement