Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2008 BMW 520d msport manual - sluggish acceleration, hesitation, poor power in low re

Options
  • 21-03-2019 5:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys,

Ive got a 2008 520d msport 177bhp (150k mile) m47 engine and i've been having problems with the car being underpowered at low revs.

The car accelerates sluggishly up until 2k rpm but it seems the turbo doesnt fully kick in until 2.5k rpm
    If you drive the car hard it seems drives well but is very frustrating when driving in traffic or at low speeds.
    Occasionally if say i change from third (2-2.3k rpm) to forth and give full trottle nothing happens for a few seconds but, if i take my foot off the accelerator and back on it seems to accelerate again (slowly until 2.5k rpm and then the turbo fully kicks in)

I have the dpf removed and that did solve the problem for around 6-9 months but it is creeping back.
    My mechanic thinks it could be a problem with the egr valve and is taking it out to clean on Friday but from looking online I am thinking it may be a crack in an air pipe or something along those lines. possibly MAF sensor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it really starting to annoy me!

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Why did you remove the DPF?
    Sounds like that wasn't the answer to your problem at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Why did you remove the DPF?
    Sounds like that wasn't the answer to your problem at all...

So he doesn't have to comply with pollution regulations.

Can't wait until NCT starts checking for these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

This is serious modification and computer need to know the new values. It is not so simple like cut the 1 component off and hope it works. Yes it works but it does not work anymore as it should be. DPF regenerate itself, only drive long distances. Every distance are short what takes under 1 hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hdk11

Pkiernan wrote: »
    So he doesn't have to comply with pollution regulations.

Can't wait until NCT starts checking for these.

Dpf was removed by the previous owner. I have the car only 3 months. Only after finding out the dpf was removed when I brought it back to the mechanic who the previous owner used. Car going back to him tomorrow so will let you guys know what he says.

I have heard that it will be become part of the NCT test. I'm thinking it might be better to get it put back in. I understand this will be expensive. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hdk11

Got a full service all filters and oil changed and cleaned the egr. Seems to have done the job ðŸ‘

Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

hdk11 wrote: »
    Got a full service all filters and oil changed and cleaned the egr. Seems to have done the job ðŸ‘

Thanks guys

They will only check for the presence of a DPF so if it's still intact don't go replacing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

It's so obvious to know if a car has a DPF removed the end of the exhaust pipe will be all soot inside pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Whocare wrote: »
    It's so obvious to know if a car has a DPF removed the end of the exhaust pipe will be all soot inside pipe

Give it a good scrub before the test!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

Truckermal wrote: »
    Give it a good scrub before the test!

True

Advertisement