Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

08 Avensis towbar same on a hatchback and saloon?

• 18-12-2018 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Is the towbar on an 08 Avensis (old model) the same on a hatchback and a saloon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yes, they’re the same.

Estate is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

Ok two people in two different scrapyards told me since that the towbar for a hatchback is different than a saloon?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They’re both wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Put a towbar on my 06 Avensis yesterday.
    Removed the two towing eyes fitted, and offered up the towbar.
    I felt the original bolts were a bit short, so got four new bolts, about 13mm longer, plus four washers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Handy website to check for stuff like this:

https://mccabetowbars.ie/product-category/toyota/toyota-avensis/toyota-avensis-saloon-hatch-2003-feb-to-jan-2009/

Shows 1 Tow Bar for the saloon & hatch, so Colm (as usual) is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

Anyone know where I could buy one and get it fitted in Midlands area athlone tullamore mullinger. Toyota avensis hatchback 2008. Any idea of price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They’re both wrong.

They may have differed between a previous generation saloon/hatch model or even Carina and people tend to make the assumption that the same will be the case for newer models.
    Tomjim wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could buy one and get it fitted in Midlands area athlone tullamore mullinger. Toyota avensis hatchback 2008. Any idea of price

My cousin paid €50 for a towbar including wiring for a Mazda 6 some time back of a breakers yard. I'd imagine there should be a fairly decent supply of that Avensis in breakers yards with towbars. They weren't exactly rare back in the day and a lot of them had towbars fitted (outside of the pale anyway). I'd say your probably best to ring breakers to find out if they have. You could use partfinder.ie but I'm somehow doubtful inventory is kept up to date on that.

Make sure to get it wired properly or otherwise I think you might expect to fail the NCT.

Advertisement