Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to locate plot in Griffith's

• 29-11-2018 9:18pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to locate a parcel of land listed in Griffith's Valuation but it doesn't seem to exist.

This is the link to the search. It's the second record listed, for John Brennock, 16b.

This is the listing

0BdPJn9.png

And this is the map

tLmscuM.png

do the numbers on the entry actually match up to the numbers of the map as they don't appear to sync up in this case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭No Bills

Ponster wrote: »
    I'm trying to locate a parcel of land listed in Griffith's Valuation but it doesn't seem to exist...

And this is the map

tLmscuM.png

do the numbers on the entry actually match up to the numbers of the map as they don't appear to sync up in this case.

There is more than one version of the map.
    There is an option to scroll through the map versions in the top right of the map viewer.
    I think you will see a cluster of houses on the south-eastern side of the Townland that may be what you are looking for. They are in plot 15 on this version of the map.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The maps date from the 1870s. It's possible that plot 16b had merged with something else by then?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

I was just wondering are there any maps available for towns and villages that would show who owns which house that connects to the numbering system used by Griffith's Valuation? I was just curious because there was a house worth £11 15s. in a village and I'd be interested to know where the house was and see how big the house is if it still exists. My ancestor's house was worth £5 back then so I'd be curious to see what an £11 house looked like. I've attached an image of my ancestor's house as it is today. It's by no means a big house by today's standards but would have been a decent sized house back then. I'm also interested because the family who owned the house then, no longer live there so I can't identify the house that way. Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

srmf5 wrote: »
    I was just wondering are there any maps available for towns and villages that would show who owns which house that connects to the numbering system used by Griffith's Valuation? I was just curious because there was a house worth £11 15s. in a village and I'd be interested to know where the house was and see how big the house is if it still exists. My ancestor's house was worth £5 back then so I'd be curious to see what an £11 house looked like. I've attached an image of my ancestor's house as it is today. It's by no means a big house by today's standards but would have been a decent sized house back then. I'm also interested because the family who owned the house then, no longer live there so I can't identify the house that way. Thanks for any help.

Houses in towns were always valued more highly than in the countryside.

A house valued at £5 would be a substantial farmhouse, but only a small town house.

Valuation of buildings also includes outhouses and on farms barns and cowsheds could be a large part of the figure.

The Valuation Office usually have maps showing the lots within towns, but sometimes the relevant map cannot be found, or it has gone to the NAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

tabbey wrote: »
    Houses in towns were always valued more highly than in the countryside.

A house valued at £5 would be a substantial farmhouse, but only a small town house.

Valuation of buildings also includes outhouses and on farms barns and cowsheds could be a large part of the figure.

The Valuation Office usually have maps showing the lots within towns, but sometimes the relevant map cannot be found, or it has gone to the NAI.

Thank you for that information. That's good to know that there should be a map available. The owner of the £11 buildings had a house, office, yard and garden while the owner of the £5 buildings had a house, office and small garden so just mussing the yard. Another owner of buildings worth £3 5s. had the same description as the £11 buildings. Someone else had a house, office and yard at £2 so for a village that would have been a small house of two or three rooms?

Thanks for mentioning the outhouses. It reminded me that I should have checked the census. In 1901, the £11 house was a public house with 9 rooms and 13 windows at the front and 9 out-offices. It was ranked as a 1st class house. The 13 windows should help narrow it down if it's still there! My ancestor's house was a private dwelling with 6 rooms and 5 windows at the front and 4 out-offices. It was ranked as a 2nd class house. The other house was larger and a public house with more out-offices so that makes sense. Of course, the number of out-offices could have changed over the years. By 1901, the smallest sized house in the village had one room with the largest having 10 rooms.

Edit: Located the house using Google maps. It's about double the size of my ancestor's house so the valuation makes sense. Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement