Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any Jacob Rees-Mogg fans here?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

He is one smart guy, though. You dont become head of a research group if you dont know what you are talking about.

Indeed and a European research group at that. I assume they have published many comprehensive studies into the effects of something as momentous as brexit. Would you have a link to any in-depth analysis from this research group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

He is one smart guy, though. You dont become head of a research group if you dont know what you are talking about.

Well, you can if you start one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

"You're a politician 'arry"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Well people give out about people not informing themselves about and understanding Europe before voting in the referendum - here is a man who really did his research and so is better placed than most to give an authoritative opinion on which option is better for Britain. And then people criticism him for it. How many European research groups were they part of ? None, Ill bet. All they can counter with, is childing puns about his resemblance to a cartoon character. If that isnt brainless twittery, then I dont know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

He seems a bit of a twat to be honest , and as said he will be grand whatever happens, so he doesn't really give a **** if brexit fux everything up.
    Having said that some of the comments here are a bit strong, such hate for the guy!!! wanting him to die from cancer !! - Really !!! ??
    Calm down lads!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Well people give out about people not informing themselves about and understanding Europe before voting in the referendum - here is a man who really did his research and so is better placed than most to give an authoritative opinion on which option is better for Britain. And then people criticism him for it. How many European research groups were they part of ?

I belong to one called the FVP European Research Group. Just set it up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Beano have issued a Cease and Desist for copyright reasons to the right honourable member for the 18th century.

DZ3iuKvW0AAyLp8.jpg:large
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZ3iuKvW0AAyLp8.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

Billy86 wrote: »
    Welcome to politics as sports - where policy means sweet feck all, so it becomes a game of "who's the biggest 'character' at the club in the party I support?" - With sweet feck all interest given into "why do I even support that club party in the first place?"

We were the greatest revolutionaries of the 20th century. We are the future. Other countries are dealing with that sort of politics now & its messy. We've perfected it for the last 100 years.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Interesting character.

Good speaker.

I admire that he sticks to his faith, while society becomes more secular.

I don't agree with his stance on Brexit.

He would be for a two-tier society, with weakened public services, and more privatisation, which I don't fully agree with.

He is a welcome antidote to the dumbing-down of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Considering their upbringing, they'll do well to avoid evolving into twats, albeit through no real fault of their own. Just as it wasn't Jacob Rees-Mogg's fault that he became a twat, given the fact that his father - William Rees-Mogg - was a known twat.

They twat you up, your mum and dad.

What did he do wrong?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Rees-Mogg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Comhra wrote: »
    Michael Healy-Rae.

Jacob Healy-Mogg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Well you might ask.
    In the times we live in the threshold for being dismissed as a "twat" is very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

manster wrote: »
    Fun fact that I didn't know. He is a practising Catholic.
    Well, if he's only still practicing....

I have no coat.

Considering their upbringing, they'll do well to avoid evolving into twats, albeit through no real fault of their own. Just as it wasn't Jacob Rees-Mogg's fault that he became a twat, given the fact that his father - William Rees-Mogg - was a known twat.

They twat you up, your mum and dad.
    They don't mean to
    But they do

You can become Head of a research group if you have enough contacts & money.

Even just money.

If fact, you can even become pres of the USA.

money, honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Hard to believe he's a year younger than Kylie Minogue.

Six more children than her too!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

He's like something out of a PG Wodehouse book for godsakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

im a big fan.
    he is a great speaker, polite and a man of principle.

his detractors have nothing on him so attack him due to his upbringing and mannerisms which is pretty crass.

as evidencrd by this thread there are quite a few dicks out there....one of corbyns pals abused moggs kids and nanny in the street....ffs

Its sad that somebody who holds different views to you should be attacked and mocked rather than debated and challenged..
    kinda pathetic really

• Registered Users Posts: 15,004 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Geuze wrote: »
    Interesting character.

Good speaker.

I admire that he sticks to his faith, while society becomes more secular.

I don't agree with his stance on Brexit.

He would be for a two-tier society, with weakened public services, and more privatisation, which I don't fully agree with.

He is a welcome antidote to the dumbing-down of society.

Well this is a good point.

In a society where we are expected to conform to a 'progressive' agenda, Rees-Mogg remains principled.

That is a good trait to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He's a haunted pencil who could be a tenement landlord straight out of a Dickens novel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Well people give out about people not informing themselves about and understanding Europe before voting in the referendum - here is a man who really did his research and so is better placed than most to give an authoritative opinion on which option is better for Britain. And then people criticism him for it. How many European research groups were they part of ? None, Ill bet. All they can counter with, is childing puns about his resemblance to a cartoon character. If that isnt brainless twittery, then I dont know what is.
    I've not seen him say anything authoritative... Is this back to your idea of Ireland rejoining the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Well this is a good point.

In a society where we are expected to conform to a 'progressive' agenda, Rees-Mogg remains principled.

That is a good trait to have.

Yes principles that fell out of favour in the 20th Century is something to aspire to

Like moving his investment vehicle to Ireland to benefit from that pesky EU Market!

Principled? Sure, Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

he can afford to support his large family, which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not as odious as Boris in fairness. Their country and party come a very distant second place to the pursuit of power for these characters.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Anyone who names a child Sixtus deserves a good slap.

He has six children: (Wikipedia)

Peter Theodore Alphege Rees-Mogg (b. 2007)
    Mary Anne Charlotte Emma Rees-Mogg (b. 2008)
    Thomas Wentworth Somerset Dunstan Rees-Mogg (b. 2010)
    Anselm Charles Fitzwilliam Rees-Mogg (b. 2012)[167][168]
    Alfred Wulfric Leyson Pius Rees-Mogg (b. 22 February 2016)[169]
    Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher Rees-Mogg (b. July 2017)

Sweet fakkin Jesus I have no idea who this pretentious [bleep] is but I want to punch him real hard right in the face right now.

The message behind names like that is “do not look us in the eye you peasant, can you not tell that we are a higher race.” That’s exactly what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Oink wrote: »

The message behind names like that is “do not look us in the eye you peasant, can you not tell that we are a higher race.” That’s exactly what it is.

Let's be honest, Rees-Moog is exactly the kind of Brit who was going around 'his land' back here in the 1800s, atop a horse, setting his hunting dogs on any Irishman who dared to glance in his direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I have to admit to a grudging admiration for Jacob Rees-Mogg. No-one does upper class British poshness quite like him. Whatever about his political ideology, he is very entertaining and sometimes I wonder if he's laying it all on a bit?

he's a disaster capitalist who seeks to profit from mass misery

it's the family business

so all in all - I'd say he's not the greatest example of humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Alfred is the worst of the bunch Imo. Sixtus is an oddity at least.

But Alfred in 2018?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭SteM

The proles laughed at him when he was on ali g and he's getting getting his revenge with brexit. That'll show the great unwashed, who is having the last laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

For those of you on here old enough to remember, he reminds me of a 70's Monty Python sketch.....Upper Class Twit of the Year.

Advertisement