Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fake Irish actors/characters

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Remember Sean Connery in the hunt for red October? Played a Russian army general with a full on Scottish accent

He also played a faux Irishman in Darby O Gill and The Little People.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The Devils Own is unwatchable mainly because of Brad Pitts accent although the plot is terrible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

90% of the cast of Murder, She Wrote where Jessica visits Ireland. Impressively bad.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Noveight wrote: »
    Saoirse Rónan, basically.

You think saorise sounds like some English woman putting on an Irish accent? That’s her real accent. It’s a pretty normal Dublin accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 d11gunner

Black-and-Tan-face. It’s a disgrace Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think because real Irish accents aren't always universally recognised as being Irish, so sometimes they tended (and still do, but definitely far less) they go for this comical leprechaun tone just to ensure everyone knows what they're supposed to be watching. Imagine being the voice coach in these situations....like, what material is the accent even based on?

The clip of your man in Sons of Anarchy is brutal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Army General? Have you even seen THFRO?

Battleshtashions!

I don’t see why he would bother change his accent though. He wasn’t playing a Russian who would have been speaking English but a Russian who was speaking Russian. It was just translated for us. Like say, American films set in the Roman Empire or revolutionary France have people with English or American accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭Rawr

90% 100% of the cast episode of Murder, She Wrote where Jessica visits Ireland. Impressively Incredibly bad.

...and also she used "The luck of the Irish" to describe the fate of a murder victim (!)...FFS Jessica....

(I could also on for ages how 90's US TV shows routinely pissed all over Ireland. Star Trek Voyager....I'm looking at you)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Remember Sean Connery in the hunt for red October? Played a Russian army general with a full on Scottish accent
    Yeah but even though the actors were speaking English in the film, they were speaking Russian - the english was for the benefit of the audience, there is a scene explaining this of one general reading a poem in Russian - halfway through the russian fades and english comes in.

Even when the Americans board they are asking each other in English (the actor) "Does anyone speak english?" - in Russian (the character).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Rawr wrote: »
    ...and also she used "The luck of the Irish" to describe the fate of a murder victim (!)...FFS Jessica....

(I could also on for ages how 90's US TV shows routinely pissed all over Ireland. Star Trek Voyager....I'm looking at you)

What happened with Voyager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

There's that one episode of American Gods where Emily Browning plays an Irish immigrant. Her accent is right up there in the worst of the worst-charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭Rawr

What happened with Voyager?

They spend 2 whole episodes of the show set in "Fair Haven", a holographic copy of an Irish village from the 19th Century (Set somewhere in Kerry I guess...some Americans seem to only be aware of that County)

Beyond the inevitable fake Irish accents used in the episodes, the entire odeal was crammed full of every cringeworthy steriotype you can imagine...including having the local drunk popping up often to beg the crew for drinking money (and this was one of the first things to happen in the episode too!)

This was the closest I've ever been to flinging a TV out of the window...which at the time was a CRT...I was that angry!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think because real Irish accents aren't always universally recognised as being Irish, so sometimes they tended (and still do, but definitely far less) they go for this comical leprechaun tone just to ensure everyone knows what they're supposed to be watching. Imagine being the voice coach in these situations....like, what material is the accent even based on?
    Many moons ago I had a conversation with of all people a voice coach for films, TV and the like and they told me the Irish accent was one of the hardest for non natives to get. From what I remember they said that part of it was down to non natives rarely hearing an authentic Irish accent in films or TV. And when they did they were rarely consistent with each other. They might hear a south county Dublin type one and then one from Cork and more recently there's the faux "American" inflection coming in. Another was something about though we speak English the underlying vocal structure isn't as Germanic. Plus as they said, the audience for such projects is going to be overwhelmingly non Irish so the diddly aye accent will pass.

We as a nation generally have a good ear for our own accents, so spot when something is off. Even with someone who lives in the States or the UK for a while we can spot non local intonations. Compare that to American accents. A load of Canadian actors work in the US and pass as "locals", even if they still have a Canuck lilt. Look at Hugh Laurie's accent for House. Apparently his American accent was praised for its authenticity, with many surprised to find out he was English, but for me though I liked the show, I found his accent extremely hard going and distracting because it sounded so "stage American" to my ears.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The 1800s McFlys in Back to the Future pt 3.

'Mr Aaaystwood...'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Remember Jon Voight making a fool of himself pretending to be a Guard in 'The General'?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Rawr wrote: »
    They spend 2 whole episodes of the show set in "Fair Haven", a holographic copy of an Irish village from the 19th Century (Set somewhere in Kerry I guess...some Americans seem to only be aware of that County)

Beyond the inevitable fake Irish accents used in the episodes, the entire odeal was crammed full of every cringeworthy steriotype you can imagine...including having the local drunk popping up often to beg the crew for drinking money (and this was one of the first things to happen in the episode too!)

This was the closest I've ever been to flinging a TV out of the window...which at the time was a CRT...I was that angry!

ST:TNG had something similar with a colony they rescued that was full of irish stereotypes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

valoren wrote: »
    Remember Jon Voight making a fool of himself pretending to be a Guard in 'The General'?

How can you mention a movie about Martin Cahill without mentioning Kevin Spaceys attempt at an irish accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I believe Tom Cruise in Far and Away is the current holder of the official all-tine worst Irish accent in cinematic history

Pearse Brosnan is a close runner
    Peirce Brosnan's Irish accent is woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

He also played a faux Irishman in Darby O Gill and The Little People.

And an Irish policeman in The Untouchables.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

You think saorise sounds like some English woman putting on an Irish accent? That’s her real accent. It’s a pretty normal Dublin accent.

She has multiple accents. Depends on who her target market is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Old Mr Brennan is actually Jacob Rees Mogg.

Advertisement