Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free Travel Pass Holders on peak time public transport

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

antodeco wrote: »
    FTP holders should be put into specific carriages and the rest of the "wealthy" are out into the other carriages. I think to speed things up as well, they should get the long FTP number tattooed on the inside of their arms.

Free head shaves for all!

The ftp holders and the wealthy might well be the same people of course, statistically they probably are. What do you do then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Odhinn

mad muffin wrote: »
    Personally I blame the liberals. All of today’s societies ills stem from them. All of it.

...from the front opening bra to the packed bus and train. The silent majority need to stand up (not in the train) to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Look at it this way OP - you may have to stand for an hour on a packed train, but aren’t you the lucky one who can arrive to ‘work’ & post away to your hearts content for hours on end & the icing on the cake is you get paid for your trouble!

It’s no wonder you’re exhausted 🤕

That is a ridiculous post and was often thrown at workers on other threads.

You know us workers - we're not like battery hens, we occasionally have breaks; trips to the bathroom; lunchtimes; downtime between tasks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Many oaps use the pass to travel around the country. They shop, go to restaurants, have a few drinks because they're not driving and stay in hotels. A lot of this is made possible by the free transport. It's an incentive to get out there and spend a few quid. I'd say many local businesses around the country would agree with me.

Alright then. I’m sure it’s fine that a few dozen healthy 65 year olds with a few properties and the 40k public sector pension can jump into these free services ahead of the people paying for it. On the way to the shops.

The plebs on the way to work to pay for all this should know their place - which is standing.

• Advertisement

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    Many oaps use the pass to travel around the country. They shop, go to restaurants, have a few drinks because they're not driving and stay in hotels. A lot of this is made possible by the free transport. It's an incentive to get out there and spend a few quid. I'd say many local businesses around the country would agree with me.

The discussion is really about on peak travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

That is a ridiculous post and was often thrown at workers on other threads.

You know us workers - we're not like battery hens, we occasionally have breaks; trips to the bathroom; lunchtimes; downtime between tasks etc.
    My post has nothing to do with us workers - just pointing out to the OP that her complaint is somewhat watered down. If you had bothered to read the thread you’d see by the times of her posts that my point stands.

Jesus thats rough ..

Got to be done, I have responsibilities.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The ftp holders and the wealthy might well be the same people of course, statistically they probably are. What do you do then?

Do you have those stats to hand as I'm assuming it's equal across all as anyone is entitled to a FTP once they reach 65.

Do you have those stats to hand as I'm assuming it's equal across all as anyone is entitled to a FTP once they reach 65.

Do I have any stats that the old are richer than the young?

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/in-ireland-the-old-get-richer-and-the-young-grow-poorer/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Sssh you'll make the rest of them drop their pitchforks!

Just to make it clear - again:

Sick, elderly, hospital visits etc - all travel
    Any other FTP holder - off peak only (after 9am out and not before 6pm back).

Who could have an issue with that ??

But does that mean that when some with the FTP wants to travel at peak times, they have to prove that they are going to a hospital app or are sick? How does that work at train stations where it's automatic scanning? Or on a bus? Does the driver have to ask?

I mean I get what you're saying but realistically policing that would cost a lot more than improving the service which should be priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The Uk system limits free travel to your local area only. I agree with the OP that it should be limited to off peak only.

It is from the age of 60 in the UK, no harm in it being off-peak only but truly the op resenting a few healthy mature women or other stragglers who would not be using public transport every day they might only be using it a few times a year it's ludicrous.

I also find it fascinating this focusing ire and resentment on to almost harmless individual and groups, what next resentment against the cattle in the fields eating grass when there could be a house for a family in the field.

When and if I get my bus pass I won't be using it at peak times as like the vast majority I will be having a lie on after a lifetime of working.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There’s a lot of ganging up on the op here. In fact the free pass is a bit odd isn’t it, it’s not means tested and in fact old people are means tested for a lot of stuff.

For anybody sick though there should be no restriction.

Otherwise free pass off peak could well work. And be available up to a limit, say the median income.

Sssh you'll make the rest of them drop their pitchforks!

Just to make it clear - again:

Sick, elderly, hospital visits etc - all travel
    Any other FTP holder - off peak only (after 9am out and not before 6pm back).

Who could have an issue with that ??
    You know that many people with disabilities who work also have the free travel pass, right?

I have said this before but boards particularly AH is a very unhealthy outlet for some people. I do understand resentment is part of the human condition but maybe a journal and rereading over their thought would be better combined with a bit of reality testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

mariaalice wrote: »
    It is from the age of 60 in the UK, no harm in it being off-peak only but truly the op resenting a few healthy mature women or other stragglers who would not be using public transport every day they might only be using it a few times a year it's ludicrous.

I also find it fascinating this focusing ire and resentment on to almost harmless individual and groups, what next resentment against the cattle in the fields eating grass when there could be a house for a family in the field.

When and if I get my bus pass I won't be using it at peak times as like the vast majority I will be having a lie on after a lifetime of working.

Absolutely . We use ours off peak because why on earth would we want to get on a crowded train full of people like the OP ? Honestly the few stragglers as you say are hardly the ones people should be getting angry about , we have politician and fat cats that we could re route our irritations to

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Not familiar with trains in Ireland, but could you not book a first class ticket or reserver a seat for the time you are travelling?

Emme wrote: »
    Another point I have is that workers are too exhausted to vote or protest.

You're some man for the excuses OP! I know plenty of people who managed to work and vote recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Old people and properly disabled people like wheelchair user's travelling for free is fine.

Drug addled vermin and criminal scum shouldn't get the pass end of it would make it easier to prevent them entering or having them removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Once something is granted to a particular sector, complicated restrictions and consequent petty nit-picking render it both unsavoury and unmanageable. The free travel pass brings many advantanges. Given the high rates of tax, USC, property tax etc with which we are shackled it is comforting to think that we would be provided for should we fall on hard times. And commuting is a hugely significant consideration in most people's lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

FTP holders should be put into specific carriages and the rest of the "wealthy" are out into the other carriages. I think to speed things up as well, they should get the long FTP number tattooed on the inside of their arms.

Free head shaves for all!

......and stripey pyjamas while you are at it too please..... I like the scratchy second hand ones..... my last ones had a gypsy aroma

• Advertisement

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    Once something is granted to a particular sector, complicated restrictions and consequent petty nit-picking render it both unsavoury and unmanageable. The free travel pass brings many advantanges. Given the high rates of tax, USC, property tax etc with which we are shackled it is comforting to think that we would be provided for should we fall on hard times. And commuting is a hugely significant consideration in most people's lives.

You absolutely won’t have it when you are old. Next recession they’ll put a means test on it for anyone retiring after 2030

Frankly good luck with getting the state pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think OP should look into getting a taxi. Public transport doesn't suit people who dont seem to like the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

pjohnson wrote: »
    I think OP should look into getting a taxi. Public transport doesn't suit people who dont seem to like the public.

Nonsense Tarquin, Bring the Bentley around the front, cant be seen in public Transport, What would Gussy and Winston and the boys at the Reform club think? Have some common sense man. Only a public education can bring about that type of thinking!

Multimedia is a solution along with noise-canceling headphones, phone or notebook or kindle in hand, and earphones on they won't have to listen or engage or focus on their fellow passengers in any way. Take a positive view of the commute it's a full hour or more of uninterrupted time to read or listen to a podcast, or some music.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Innocent123

OP, i can see where you're annoyed, but .. I'm also a commuter, fatigued quite often and like a seat on the train, so I drive to a station I know I can get seat at. Also managed to make it out to vote !!!

And if I'm able in my retirement , after working hard all my life I'll be sure to enjoy it, just like those people your complaining about - why shouldn't they make the most of their retirement, you'd begrudge them a day out?

Multimedia is a solution along with noise-canceling headphones, phone or notebook or kindle in hand, and earphones on they won't have to listen or engage or focus on their fellow passengers in any way. Take a positive view of the commute it's a full hour or more of uninterrupted time to read or listen to a podcast, or some music.

I'm not sure why you're running with the antisocial nonsense but I have no issue with fellow travellers; we're largely in the same boat.

I have an issue with being in the 12th hour of a working day and having to lean onto a jacks door for "comfort" while someone who wouldn't have put in 12 hours in the last year combined swans on to the train with their free pass and feral kids.

Oh and lose the Belsen type rhetotic guys, it doesn't make you sound edgy - just offensive.

Nonsense Tarquin, Bring the Bentley around the front, cant be seen in public Transport, What would Gussy and Winston and the boys at the Reform club think? Have some common sense man. Only a public education can bring about that type of thinking!

Can find the piece now: When third-class carriages were abolished in the Uk some Buffone either a Lord Bumbly Fumbly type or an MP commented how will the typist get to work as they could not possibly be in the same carriages as their employers.

I'm not sure why you're running with the antisocial nonsense but I have no issue with fellow travellers; we're largely in the same boat.

I have an issue with being in the 12th hour of a working day and having to lean onto a jacks door for "comfort" while someone who wouldn't have put in 12 hours in the last year combined swans on to the train with their free pass and feral kids.

Oh and lose the Belsen type rhetotic guys, it doesn't make you sound edgy - just offensive.

Grand but generally I don't have any thoughts about my fellow commenters it's all a blur, lone parents do not get free travel so I am not sure how anyone would know the status of any of their fellow passengers.

Can find the piece now: When third-class carriages were abolished in the Uk some Buffone either a Lord Bumbly Fumbly type or an MP commented how will the typist get to work as they could not possibly be in the same cartridge as their employers.

What’s that anecdote gotta do with a worker who travels more than two hours a day?

The op is the pleb here. The rich older generation are the upper classes.

• Advertisement

What’s that anecdote gotta do with a worker who travels more than two hours a day?

The op is the pleb here. The rich older generation are the upper classes.

Lighting the mood a bit maybe its AH

Advertisement