Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whistleblower: Maurice McCabe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    How many other campaigns have been orchestrated against innocent people? I wonder how Callinan, Sgt McCabes colleagues with the plastic rat, their 'friends' who blanked them etc enjoyed this evenings programme? A lot of squirming, I bet.
    It beggars belief that Callinan is collecting a big fat pension. He should be behind bars.

Too big to fall. Untouchable I think is the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

RTE are doing a two part documentary on Sgt Maurice McCabe. I think it should be a must watch for people. This honourable man was nearly destroyed by a corrupt Garda management for trying to do the right thing.

His courage and bravery should be rewarded by the state but I think any future whistleblowers will think twice before trying to highlight bad practice in the Gardaí.

I think it was very telling that John McGuinness said he was terrified when he got out of the car after speaking to Martin Callinan. Absolutely criminal the way Callinan has walked away scot free, having gone to such horrendous lengths to destroy as honourable a man as Maurice McCabe. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I still don't believe that it was a copy/paste mistake by a lone contractor

Theres defo more to that story. I'm also a great believer in the saying 'there's no smoke without fire'. Well never know the truth of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

tretorn wrote: »
    I wouldnt like colleagues to be going snitching about me behind my back, there has to be an element of trust between people working together.

But if you aren't doing your job correctly, why shouldn't someone complain about you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

gmisk wrote: »
    What a load of twaddle.
    Why would the Gardaí give a toss about thar corrupt tossers costs not being paid?

Also if they are p#ssed off an at outsider getting the job.... Who can blame them!?! Me for one...putting the insider Nóirín ó Sullivan in charge after Callinan worked out brilliantly lol

Noirin O Sullivan was very badly treated, even the Charleton Chairman said as much.

She has now been snapped up for a big European job and I wish her well.

I have always had great service from our local Gardai and to be fair Mc Cabe seems to have been a monumental pain in the hole. Its all very well for onlookers to be saying he is a national hero, they didnt have to work with him.

What was John Mc Guinness doing in that carpark. Callinan seems to have given forty years of impeccable service and then had a moment of madness setting up that meeting with Mc Guinness. I do think unarmed Gardai would have huge loyalty to each other and here was Mc Cabe complaining about someone in every station he worked in. Thats the reality and most of us dont go to superiors complaining about our colleagues, at the endof the day none of us are perfect.

• Advertisement

AmberGold wrote: »
    Ok Garda..

My thoughts also! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

cursai wrote: »
    Theres defo more to that story. I'm also a great believer in the saying 'there's no smoke without fire'. Well never know the truth of it.

Are you saying the false claims in the file had input from outside Tusla?

Or are you saying the rumour about McCabe must have had some substance behind it because there's no such thing as a completely made up story to try and discredit someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

I have to agree, he seems to have complained about everyone he ever worked with and in fairness we have spent enough time on him now. I wouldnt like colleagues to be going snitching about me behind my back, there has to be an element of trust between people working together.

Ah here. Its not a question of what you prefer your colleagues wouldn't do.
    Its about doing the right thing - as a public servant.

Local Garda is a position of huge responsibility in a small regional town.

Gardai showing up drunk and disorderly at a suicide case.
    Then driving away in Garda car in that condition.

Gardai regularly not showing up for work at the station.

Victim in an assault case pressured into dropping it - just so the Garda isn't uncovered for not following up on case correctly (and this kind of cover up mentality went all the way to the top of the organisation...as revealed later).

And then on to mass penalty points offences.

And all some people can do is throw out lazy expressions like "snitch".:(

How can we really expect things to ever change in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

I'm hearing words like 'total corruption' and 'right up through the ranks', how come no one else has come forward. The organisation is old fashioned, insular and backward but it's not the Phillipine national police force. Be realistic please.

Actually I have seen on Philippine TV corrupt police officers being taken down by their colleagues...and by taken down I mean the legs kicked from under them, pinned to the ground, handcuffed and thrown into a police van.

Haven't seen that in Ireland and never will..so I wonder which police force is the most corrupt!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Noirin O Sullivan was very badly treated, even the Charleton Chairman said as much.

She has now been snapped up for a big European job and I wish her well.

I have always had great service from our local Gardai and to be fair Mc Cabe seems to have been a monumental pain in the hole. Its all very well for onlookers to be saying he is a national hero, they didnt have to work with him.
    Come on now, this is the same commission that totally rejected part of her evidence and treated another part as 'improbable' lol....she hasn't covered herself in glory quite the opposite let's be honest.

I didn't get that McCabe was a monumental pain the hole at all from that programme... Quite the opposite he seems like a decent principled man who was treated absolutely appalingly by the hierarchy in the Gardaí as well as a number of rank and file members when he raised a number of serious issues.

But hey as long as your local Gardai have been nice to you that's the most important thing hey.

• Advertisement

archer22 wrote: »
    Actually I have seen on Philippine TV corrupt police officers being taken down by their colleagues...and by taken down I mean the legs kicked from under them, pinned to the ground, handcuffed and thrown into a police van.

Haven't seen that in Ireland and never will..so I wonder which police force is the most corrupt!

The Philippine one.

AllForIt wrote: »
    So far this is shocking stuff.

Guards turing up at incidents drunk, drunk driving in police vehicles and false allegations of sexual assualt made out spite. Oh and not bothering to turn up to work at the weekend and not bothering to attend repoted incidents. Good grief. And the programe isn't half over yet.

And points being wiped off, repeatedly, for individuals who regularly drove WAY over the limit on country roads.

But, but.......some people can't watch all that because the 'mood music' is all wrong!! FFS!!! :mad:

I've read about all this before, dreadful stuff......and hearing about it again makes it no less horrendous. :(

Lots of Gardai in here tonight.

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Ah here. Its not a question of what you prefer your colleagues wouldn't do.
    Its about doing the right thing - as a public servant.

Local Garda is a position of huge responsibility in a small regional town.

Gardai showing up drunk and disorderly at a suicide case.
    Then driving away in Garda car in that condition.

Gardai regularly not showing up for work at the station.

Victim in an assault case pressured into dropping it - just so the Garda isn't uncovered for not following up on case correctly (and this kind of cover up mentality went all the way to the top of the organisation...as revealed later).

And then on to mass penalty points offences.

And all some people can do is throw out lazy expressions like "snitch".:(

How can we really expect things to ever change in this country?

These things happen in every organisation. It just looks worse due to the nature of the work they ate involved in. Must have been terrible for him to be the ONLY honest cop in EVERY station he went to.
    He's a one man justice train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

brooke 2 wrote: »
    And points being wiped off, repeatedly, for individuals who regularly drove WAY over the limit on country roads.

But, but.......some people can't watch all that because the 'mood music' is all wrong!! FFS!!! :mad:

I've read about all this before, dreadful stuff......and hearing about it again makes it no less horrendous. :(

There was no evidence that points were being wiped off repeatedly, the media reported that they were but the official report into the penalty points controversy showed that 95% of points werent cancelled and of the 5% that were cancelled the vast majority were cancelled for valid reasons.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/big-questions-go-unanswered-in-garda-penalty-points-scandal-1.3312793

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

The Philippine one.

Did you come to that conclusion because they actually hunt corrupt officers instead of whistleblowers like the Gardai :rolleyes:

AllForIt wrote: »
    Who cares about the style it's the content that matters.

Absolutely! Some people seem to be very uncomfortable watching this. One would wonder why that might be!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭davidmarsh

McCabe is a hero in our house anyway.

And in the canteen at work he's universally recognised as a hero too.

I just hope he serves Callinan with the justice he deserves.

McGuiness says that Callinan scared the life out of him..
    ... I'd nearly rather Callinan after me than a pi $$ed off McCabe!

There was no evidence that points were being wiped off repeatedly, the media reported that they were but the official report into the penalty points controversy showed that 95% of points werent cancelled and of the 5% that were cancelled the vast majority were cancelled for valid reasons.
    Stop giving the full story. People get bored after the initial media spam headline.
    People are fickle and love to rag on things in a higher authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭techdiver

Can't believe the amount of **** wits on here tonight!

That and people clearly trying spread false information. How anyone can say that McCabe acted with anything other than honour and honesty is beyond me??

• Advertisement

archer22 wrote: »
    Did you come to that conclusion because they actually hunt corrupt officers instead of whistleblowers like the Gardai :rolleyes:

What whistleblower? I prefer to keep that term for people who deserve it. Not because the national rags fed it to me.

What whistleblower? I prefer to keep that term for people who deserve it. Not because the national rags fed it to me.

Are you a Garda?

This may seems a bit controversial

what happened to him is sick.

But he does seem like he was an awkward fecker to be honest.
    You wouldn't like to work with him.

It IS controversial.......and sick!

The man has been through an incredibly punishing experience for a very, very long time at the hands of his colleagues and superiors. Your comment hints at
    an insinuation that he may have deserved it........because 'You wouldn't like to work with him.'

Maurice McCabe's problem seems to have been that he had a conscience and was not a slacker like some of those lowlives with whom he had the tremendous misfortune to work.

techdiver wrote: »
    Can't believe the amount of **** wits on here tonight!

That and people clearly trying spread false information. How anyone can say that McCabe acted with anything other than honour and honesty is beyond me??

What false information? I think some people just want more evidence from impartial sources before making a more mature and considered opinion.

Wheety wrote: »
    Are you a Garda?

No but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.

Are you a journalist?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I still don't believe that it was a copy/paste mistake by a lone contractor

Can you elaborate? You also believe what exactly? Go on, nail your colours to the mast Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Aspergers?

It's been said before.
    Or maybe.... you know... Integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,040 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm hearing words like 'total corruption' and 'right up through the ranks', how come no one else has come forward. The organisation is old fashioned, insular and backward but it's not the Phillipine national police force. Be realistic please.

Is that you Callinan?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I had not seen callinan comments at committee where he told mcguinness that he was the only person to report to him and that any lower grade garda should report internally only.
    A clear attempt to shut the whole thing down and his follow up meeting with mcguinness.
    where he used absolute lies to try to sway mcguinness and left him shaking shows the filthy tactics he was prepared to use, both in dealing with his gardai and even a serious politician.
    Callinan should in my opinion face criminal proceedings and as for the tusla file being a copy and paste error, well that is just laughable.
    McCabe is a lucky man that he kept 1 step ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭davidmarsh

He left the force recently, didn't he..

What's next for him I wonder.

I hope the exposure and positive reaction that this brings him can restore some of his confidence and faith in people, generally speaking. He's still a young man with so much to offer.

I don't get the impression from him that he'd be content with the feet up every day enjoying his compensation (ie. drinking tea, like a real Guard!)

Advertisement