Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whistleblower: Maurice McCabe

Options
  • 12-11-2018 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

RTE are doing a two part documentary on Sgt Maurice McCabe. I think it should be a must watch for people. This honourable man was nearly destroyed by a corrupt Garda management for trying to do the right thing.

His courage and bravery should be rewarded by the state but I think any future whistleblowers will think twice before trying to highlight bad practice in the Gardaí.
    Post edited by JupiterKid on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

But RTÉ never show the state in a bad light as they are controlled by the government?

We’re told everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

There should be an annual Maurice McCabe award for outstanding personal contribution to the public interest.
    And it should not be awarded by or decided on by Politicians!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I am sorry but the RTÉ Player is a joke, it's hopping and buffering all over the place here at 512k. Do RTE invest in anything other than paying high salaries, this is not the first time this has happened when I have gone to watch a popular live programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Watched a bit of it but switched it off. Over the top and mawkish. There was a report produced by the tribunal that contains all the facts.

I could do without the ominous mood music and lingering close ups. This, unfortunately, appears to be the way that RTE likes to deal with some factual current affairs topics. Turning an important series of events in Irish life into a sentimental TV show. I think it detracts from the seriousness of the events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

KaneToad wrote: »
    Watched a bit of it but switched it off. Over the top and mawkish. There was a report produced by the tribunal that contains all the facts.

I could do without the ominous mood music and lingering close ups. This, unfortunately, appears to be the way that RTE likes to deal with some factual current affairs topics. Turning an important series of events in Irish life into a sentimental TV show. I think it detracts from the seriousness of the events.

Ok Garda..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Question.

If MMcC was in charge of a station, could be not have the ability to discipline a junior guard?

Rather than resign.

AmberGold wrote: »
    Ok Garda..

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Plus boats, exhaust pipes, dogs, crows, cats, more crows, etc etc.

Can they not concentrate on the subject matter.

Absolute amateur TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

TallGlass wrote: »
    I am sorry but the RTÉ Player is a joke, it's hopping and buffering all over the place here at 512k.

Yeah, does that on my TV player app as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RTE are clueless - they seem to take their style cues from the worst sort of American touchy-feely crap. This sort of topic needs a hard, cold eyed stare.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mattser wrote: »
    Plus boats, exhaust pipes, dogs, crows, cats, more crows, etc etc.

Can they not concentrate on the subject matter.

Absolute amateur TV.
    Is the subject matter a rehash if the tribunal or an interview on how the whole episode affected the McCabes?
    No harm in showing boats, dogs and whatever else!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

So far this is shocking stuff.

Guards turing up at incidents drunk, drunk driving in police vehicles and false allegations of sexual assualt made out of spite. Oh and not bothering to turn up to work at the weekend and not bothering to attend repoted incidents. Good grief. And the programe isn't half over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sure why not have Katie Hannon just sit there with a white background and read an hours worth of script?

Eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

TallGlass wrote: »
    I am sorry but the RTÉ Player is a joke, it's hopping and buffering all over the place here at 512k. Do RTE invest in anything other than paying high salaries, this is not the first time this has happened when I have gone to watch a popular live programme.

Off Topic, I know, but I share your frustration.

I find RTE player to be reliably atrocious every single time I attempt to watch live tv on it. Never works properly, buffering and stuttering. But the ads on it - all of the seemingly never ending unskippable ads - work completely flawlessly every single time. It really is a joke. Even the tv3player - or whatever it's called now - works with more consistency. And it's been like this for years, you'd think they'd make some effort to solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

This may seems a bit controversial

what happened to him is sick.

But he does seem like he was an awkward fecker to be honest.
    You wouldn't like to work with him.

RTE are clueless - they seem to take their style cues from the worst sort of American touchy-feely crap. This sort of topic needs a hard, cold eyed stare.

Who cares about the style it's the content that matters.

How can you say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

NIMAN wrote: »
    Question.

If MMcC was in charge of a station, could be not have the ability to discipline a junior guard?

Rather than resign.

Question.

The Disclosures Tribunal found that the most senior Garda in the country - former commissioner Martin Callinan consciously smeared Garda McCabe. Mr Callinan was found to have run a “campaign of calumny” against Sgt McCabe.

How was Callinan punished?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭Jeff2

You are judging him on what you've seem on TV or press.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's usually the awkward feckers who challenge the status quo. But, I see what you mean. But in the case, considering what he helped bring into public light about the culture in the force, then, I guess, too bad about the fellas he worked with.

• Advertisement

You don't like working with honest people?

Hardly awkward, what he was pointing out was serious. Off duty Garda with access to a patrol car, pissed and for some reason at a crime scene, trainees pulling the plug on cases that included serious crimes, shouldn't have been investigating them to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

AllForIt wrote: »
    How can you say that?

we have all come across people who are hard to work with and for.

He seems like a guy who pulled everyone up for everything and we are only hearing his side of the story now.

A reporter who covered the story before - said much the same as above.

It is no excuse for what happened - but I'm sure people didn't like working with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

You'd have to say he could have walked. Anyone else probably would have. It took some courage and strength to keep going in light of what was going on.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Who cares about the style it's the content that matters.

The content is important enough to be presented in a factual manner without the need for arty abstract images and mood music to manipulate the viewers.

Let the facts speak for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Awkward ??? The man wanted other gardai to be like him.
    He was paid to do a job and he wanted to do it right .
    What da **** is wrong with people in this country ???
    Members of the force were drink driving , not turning up for work , cancelling penalty points .
    This really is a banana republic .
    Full of gob****es that do a job , take the pay and do **** all .

we have all come across people who are hard to work with and for.

He seems like a guy who pulled everyone up for everything and we are only hearing his side of the story now.

A reporter who covered the story before - said much the same as above.

It is no excuse for what happened - but I'm sure people didn't like working with him.

He exposed shocking failing in the Gardai so naturally the ones who were inept didnt like working with him.

What he did served to fix the problems so I can't see how anyone can claim he was being awkward just for the sake of it.

Awkward ??? The man wanted other gardai to be like him.
    He was paid to do a job and he wanted to do it right .
    What da **** is wrong with people in this country ???
    Members of the force were drink driving , not turning up for work , cancelling penalty points .
    This really is a banana republic .
    Full of gob****es that do a job , take the pay and do **** all .

There decent hard working Garda in the force. It would take a brave person to come out if something was wrong in the Garda, watching this you'd never open your mouth.

The content is important enough to be presented in a factual manner without the need for arty abstract images and mood music to manipulate the viewers.

Let the facts speak for themselves.

You turned off the program so why are you still commenting on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Question.

The Disclosures Tribunal found that the most senior Garda in the country - former commissioner Martin Callinan consciously smeared Garda McCabe. Mr Callinan was found to have run a “campaign of calumny” against Sgt McCabe.

How was Callinan punished?

The Tribunal had no powers to punish him.

He is facing a legal action from McCabe - for which the taxpayer will have to pick up the bill for his defence.
    Apparently this is normal practice, as he's an ex-Garda comissioner !

Advertisement