Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Man-made" Climate Change Lunathicks Out in Full Force

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

They now say the ozone layer is being healed because of the less use of aerosol cans, dispite the cars, boats, planes and probably the other million things still affecting it.

Who says?

Links?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's a special kind of evil where the person who starts the thread deletes his/her opening post

I think he makes a very good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

XsApollo wrote: »
    That is evidence it’s fact, because it does.
    Now theory’s are different, and scientists bandy then about as fact, becuase that’s what they know at the time, in a few hundred years the next expert will have debunked that theory and have their own until the next expert arrives.

Theories are used to explain the evidence we have and have predictive properties. A theory isn't accepted until it can predict not only new phenomena that the old theory couldn't, but also every other phenomena that the old theory explained.

Usually theories get turned over because technology moves on and measurements which weren't possible in the past become possible. Shortfalls in Newtonian physics became apparent when they didn't explain the motion of some of the planets for instance. We wouldn't have geostationary satellites today had we not come up with the General Theory of Relativity which made a huge amount of at the time unverifiable predictions which have subsequently been found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

They now say the ozone layer is being healed because of the less use of aerosol cans, dispite the cars, boats, planes and probably the other million things still affecting it.

CFCs affected the ozone layer due to a chemical reaction caused by halogen released by the CFC which catalyzed the breakdown of ozone. When CFC was banned, the ozone depletion stopped and the hole started recovering.

Emissions from cars don't affect the ozone layer since they don't emit CFCs. They emit carbon dioxide which instead traps heat.

Interestingly, a number of Chinese foam insulation manufacturers have started using CFC in their products, causing more of a buildup of CFC in the atmosphere (or rather a decrease in the CFC reduction in the atmosphere). https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/07/group-identifies-sources-of-rogue-ozone-depleting-pollution-in-china/

dav3 wrote: »

Maybe for a pre school creche

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Maybe for a pre school creche

Do you just swallow everything you're told without questioning it? Do you think the majority is always right? Do you understand how climate science works, and are youn willing to listen to respected scientists who think you might be mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

dav3 wrote: »

The . was well argued.

Who says?

Links?

He’s right about the ozone layer rectifying itself but that’s because human action was taken to reduce CFC emissions.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/6/30/12067830/ozone-hole-antarctica-healing-study

The use of Aerosol cans was what was affecting the ozone layer. Not all emissions cause the same effect.

In particular it was the use of a chemical called chlorofluorocarbons. That was phased out over time (beginning in the 70s).

So scientists saw a problem in the atmosphere, found a chemical emission was to blame, we reduced the use of this chemical, and the ozone layer healed.

I’m not sure this works the way you think as a rebuttal of the scientific method with regards to what is causing climate change, or what to do to fix it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Do you just swallow everything you're told without questioning it? Do you think the majority is always right? Do you understand how climate science works, and are youn willing to listen to respected scientists who think you might be mistaken.

Respected, ie they support your confirmation bias.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

This is the problem, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it's absolute nonsense based on basic ignorance about stuff you could google in seconds.

Respected, ie they support your confirmation bias.

Well, Richard Lindzen is a retired professor at MIT so he's hardly stupid

Yeah, cos there's only one kind of stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The heat wave is caused by global warming. The cold snap is due to global warming. The flooding is due to global warming.
    I don't buy it. I believe in natural cycles of weather and temperature. Any records in existence are only a tiny snapshot of time Versus the length of time the earth has been there and as such should not be taken as the all important reference.
    I believe the planet can cope with change and will see change over time. We had the ice age, now we don't. That is a major climate shift yet we are here and further more, it wasn't action of man or the internal combustion engine that brought that change around.
    When we look at most current weather events, it's typically the hottest day since ..... or the most rain since...... rarely do we see a record being broken so I wonder what was the man made issue in 1976 that caused the long hot summer that year?
    Are we are humans doing something right that has now returned the weather to that of 40 years ago? Is this how the weather is supposed to be or is this the climate as damaged by man?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

mickdw wrote: »
    I don't buy it. I believe in....

And what are your credentials, doc?

I believe in Santa Claus therefore he does exist. Ditto for the tooth fairy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Whereas if he did recognise man made climate change, he's be another loony liberal elite in an echo chamber.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Whereas if he did recognise man made climate change, he's be another loony liberal elite in an echo chamber.

No, I'm merely saying that people shouldn't try and silence any dissent from the consensus view, especially when they don't know anything about science

Of course I dont just go with the popular flow. Have you not seen how unpopular my views can often be on this site? Seriously?

Terry Pratchet

No, I'm merely saying that people shouldn't try and silence any dissent from the consensus view, especially when they don't know anything about science

When you throw words like that around so frivolously they lose all meaning, case in point. Voicing an alternate opinion is not shutting down debate, it is debate.

H. H. Asquith

When you throw words like that around so frivolously they lose all meaning, case in point. Voicing an alternate opinion is not shutting down debate, it is debate.

Labelling people 'deniers' isn't an attempt to discredit them?

• Advertisement

Well... they're denying climate change. It's a fairly objective use of the word.

H. H. Asquith

People shouldn’t automatically accept non consensus views when they know nothing about science.

Well... they're denying climate change. It's a fairly objective use of the word.

oh come on. Yes, they use the term in such a benign way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Creative83 wrote: »

Mods close the thread. In fact close any thread where the OP deletes his post and wanders off happy that he has started the er fire. And then ban them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Flat Earth creationist imbecile?

Gravity is only a "theory", so fly, my friend (out the window).

oh come on. Yes, they use the term in such a benign way

What exactly is your point here?

H. H. Asquith

What exactly is your point here?

That the believers in man made climate change are extremely intolerant

That the believers in man made climate change are extremely intolerant

Do you intend to present any sort of cogent argument at all for that? When you see people on this site do nothing but lazily dump Youtube videos it's hard to be open minded.

H. H. Asquith

I'm sure we won't find anything you posted where you tried to discredit the overwhelming majority of climate scientists who say that AGW is real. Because that would make you a hypocrite.

• Advertisement

Anthracite wrote: »
    I'm sure we won't find anything you posted where you tried to discredit the overwhelming majority of climate scientists who say that AGW is real. Because that would make you a hypocrite.

Any evidence for that claim?

Advertisement