Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will flu vaccine be made available to students and teachers?

• 27-09-2020 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Just wondering if flu vaccine will be made available to teachers and students free this year. I've heard they are looking into the possibility of giving it to primary students in schools using community nurses, but no confirmation of this. For the times wherein, just wondering what's the likelihood of it been made available to post primary students and teachers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

I hope not, anyone who wants the flu vaccine are free to go down to their pharmacy and get it. It costs less than €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Would be a good idea alright. I wonder what the cost would come in at though?

I'm sure you'd have the anti vaxer lunatics piping up about some government conspiracy to steralise children!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,218 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

o1s1n wrote: »
    Would be a good idea alright. I wonder what the cost would come in at though?

I'm sure you'd have the anti vaxer lunatics piping up about some government conspiracy to steralise children!

Cost will be tiny in comparison to not doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ulsen

I hope not
    Why do say this? We're in for a rough winter by all accounts- which will be more difficult with people trying to ascertain between covid and flu. Would it not make sense to make the flu vaccine available to students and teachers. Probably cost effective in terms of reducing the need for Covid testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ulsen

It costs less than €15.
    Boots are charging€30 - if you have 3 teens; that's a lot to be forking out. How much does a covid test cost in comparison?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

I hope not, anyone who wants the flu vaccine are free to go down to their pharmacy and get it. It costs less than €15.

I was in my local pharmacy yesterday and a lady came in looking for the vaccine, she was told that they got a very low allocation this year, that it was all used up but they were hoping to get some more in the next few weeks, so it may not be as easy to get as in previous years !!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

solerina wrote: »
    I was in my local pharmacy yesterday and a lady came in looking for the vaccine, she was told that they got a very low allocation this year, that it was all used up but they were hoping to get some more in the next few weeks, so it may not be as easy to get as in previous years !!
    There's a delay at present with supplies but Colm Henry of the HSE said there will be enough to go around this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

They are rolling it out to the vulnerable at present. I have heard that they will be rolling it out to all children up to the age of 13 starting the last two weeks of October. Not sure how true this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I hope the people at risk and kids under 12 would be prioritized.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

lulublue22 wrote: »
    They are rolling it out to the vulnerable at present. I have heard that they will be rolling it out to all children up to the age of 13 starting the last two weeks of October. Not sure how true this is.

I heard Colm Henry say they were waiting for enough supplies of the nasal spray vaccine for kids and would then roll it out

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I heard Colm Henry say they were waiting for enough supplies of the nasal spray vaccine for kids and would then roll it out

That’s where I must have heard it - I couldn't remember - think I read the last two weeks in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’m at risk and get it every year based on my prescriptions. It’s not into my pharmacy Yet and they won’t be doing the nasal spray, I will have to ring the GP for that

I’m at risk and get it every year based on my prescriptions. It’s not into my pharmacy Yet and they won’t be doing the nasal spray, I will have to ring the GP for that

I think the nasal spray is just for children though I could be wrong about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

lulublue22 wrote: »
    I think the nasal spray is just for children though I could be wrong about that

Oh I know that yeah. Shot for me as usual! I meant my two kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

ulsen wrote: »
    Boots are charging€30 - if you have 3 teens; that's a lot to be forking out. How much does a covid test cost in comparison?

Precisely. It was €15 in Boots last year, but this year it went up to €30. Furthermore, the earliest date they could put me in was three weeks in later (even when I ticked HSE worker or whatever it was - there was no “Frontline worker” box that I could tick despite teachers having some 200 students in their classroom on their busiest days).

Anyway, my local GP was charging €40 for the injection, so I thought about any other medical questions I had, and paid €60 for a standard GP appointment where the cost of the injection was included. I got it done straight away. That was about 10 days ago.

PS: Keep all your medical receipts to claim on your health insurance (straight away via the app) or from Revenue (at the end of the year). It takes some edge off all these costs.

Advertisement