Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

SarahLil wrote: »
    OH gone for the weekly shop Queue’s to get in
    We haven’t seen it like that since April

I had hoped that was all over!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My mother said it was like Christmas Eve Today getting the weekly shop.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I had hoped that was all over!

People are anticipating another lockdown and panic buying, which makes zero sense as a) there's plenty of stock and b) last lockdown the supermarkets remained open.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The words of John Lennons 'Happy Christmas (war is over)' is going to be hard too take esp with what a year 2020 has been

Dont get too many gifts so will do online

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The words of John Lennons 'Happy Christmas (war is over)' is going to be hard too take esp with what a year 2020 has been

Some of the lyrics to “have yourself a Merry little Christmas” and “fairytale of New York” and “silent night” feel a bit more poignant this year also.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    Some of the lyrics to “have yourself a Merry little Christmas” and “fairytale of New York” and “silent night” feel a bit more poignant this year also.

Everytime I think of Christmas I find myself singing "it will be lonely this Christmas , without you to hold, it will be lonely this Christmas, lonely and cold..."

pigtail33 wrote: »
    I heard the controversial "Welcome to Grafton Quarter" Christmas lights they had up on Grafton Street last year are not being used this year! The "Nollaig Shona Duit" lights that were on Wicklow street are being used instead. Not all the usual streets will have lights this year though, but they haven't announced yet where will/won't be lit up.

It’s seems all streets that had lights last year will still have lights this year.

https://www.fm104.ie/news/buzz/confirmed-dublins-christmas-lights-will-go-up-this-year/?fbclid=IwAR2ESsef3yaBDx_dMbjH61eidO0neaYDn6KU3mOzLlZrVZpwRD7W4-IF0nI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’ve had an insane week just in normal life. I’ve been unexpectedly designated very high risk and am now working from home. I’m a secondary teacher so this is madness, I spent today waiting for each substitute cover to get me connected to the projector in the classrooms to teach remotely-it was a whole new world!

However having said that I have the space in the attic for an office and we’ve got it better set up already than lockdown. I’m going to the range for Halloween decorations for myself tomorrow and I am SO putting up a small Christmas tree for myself up there the minute Halloween is over! It’s going to be great!

These are in Dealz and might be useful if wanted to decorate some bottles for Christmas!
    121011789_2763801137275823_117608925740264417_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=QWi2RhkQKLUAX96uTZM&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=daf48848d326af18d2521b6a6ae90ffa&oe=5FA7B638

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

PTH2009 wrote: »

Speaking of War is Over... they just played it on Nova!! I couldn't believe my ears!! Just now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Mutleyboo wrote: »
    Speaking of War is Over... they just played it on Nova!! I couldn't believe my ears!! Just now

This is a great version imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

So I was flicking through the channels a few minutes ago and Kelly Clarkson pops up on channel 364 on Sky which is now called Trace Christmas singing Underneath The Tree.
    Can we just bypass Halloween and get stuck into Christmas now please? :D

Christmas Hortus Spiced Plum & Cinnamon Gin Liqueur at Lidl

233896.jpg

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/christmas-market/hortus-spiced-plum-cinnamon-gin-liqueur/p51928

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Had a free afternoon yesterday and went into the M50 Christmas Shop and what a treat it was!

It is absolutely massive, like something you would see in a movie, if you can get to it please do they have everything you can imagine .

We picked up a big set of new lights for the tree (1500 bulbs), a light decoration for the sitting room window and a picture for hanging in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Heroditas wrote: »
    So I was flicking through the channels a few minutes ago and Kelly Clarkson pops up on channel 364 on Sky which is now called Trace Christmas singing Underneath The Tree.

Been up and running since October 1st.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Was that Dee Woods? I'm convinced she is a secret Elf! She's on Nova at lunch time every week day and has been playing snippets of Christmas songs for the last while, asking is it too early!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Heroditas wrote: »

first world problems and all but we have Virgin TV in the house and we had Sony Christmas movies for a few days then it just disappeared from the listings and hasn't come back.
    Also, not one of the music channels has switched to Christmas music yet.
    I know it's the least of our worries but it's actually bothering me a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Had a free afternoon yesterday and went into the M50 Christmas Shop and what a treat it was!

It is absolutely massive, like something you would see in a movie, if you can get to it please do they have everything you can imagine .

We picked up a big set of new lights for the tree (1500 bulbs), a light decoration for the sitting room window and a picture for hanging in the kitchen.

I have no interest in outdoor lights and stuff like that but would it be worth a trip just for indoor decorations and such?

Am I the only one who looks at the Halloween stuff in shops and can’t wait for it to be over so they’d get out more Christmas stock?

I imagine it's because yesterday was John Lennon's birthday. :)

• Advertisement

first world problems and all but we have Virgin TV in the house and we had Sony Christmas movies for a few days then it just disappeared from the listings and hasn't come back
    I'm pretty annoyed by that!
    Anyone else with VM know what the story is?

Am I the only one who looks at the Halloween stuff in shops and can’t wait for it to be over so they’d get out more Christmas stock?

Nope you are not alone. I’m the same way.

Posy wrote: »
    I'm pretty annoyed by that!
    Anyone else with VM know what the story is?

I’m VM I just sent them a message asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Its great isn't it, I picked up a few things over the years, in 2010 snow I worked not far from there and we took a detour home it was amazing especially as it was snowing outside and we were finishing for Christmas holidays

I got my mam a nativity picture that lights up everyone always admires it when the come by the house, I have never seen another since

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

can't wait to get the tree up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I have no interest in outdoor lights and stuff like that but would it be worth a trip just for indoor decorations and such?

I think it is worth the visit, all types of Santa's, Robins, Christmas stockings, Christmas stocking holders, lots of different baubles and loads more, maybe after the restrictions have lifted have a nice lunch in the Brock Inn or Coolqauy after your shopping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭matchthis

Just back from homestore and they had a good bit of Christmas stock out and we’re getting more. Picked up the Sherpa polar bear blanket that Santa couldn’t find last year

Loughc wrote: »
    I’m VM I just sent them a message asking.
    Just did the same. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Orchard is nearly swapped over to its Christmas stuff now - still some being put up. One fantastically set up and lit tree in the interiors section looks like a kids fairytale idea of a perfect tree, dappled diffuse yellow/gold lighting.

Got a bigger than tree size decoration - mantlepiece or hall table or whatever - of a "seasonal owl" that looks either like its hungover, or the reincarnation of Ronnie Drew in avian form, or both. Will go well with my clearly pissed snowman tree decoration!

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    A "seasonal owl" that looks either like its hungover, or the reincarnation of Ronnie Drew in avian form, or both. Will go well with my clearly pissed snowman tree decoration!
    I hope we will get to see pics of both these decorations once they're up! :D

Advertisement