Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hamstring Tweak Secondary issue

• 08-09-2020 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Disclaimer not looking for Medical Advice

Tweaked my hamstring 6 weeks ago ...and have not been able to run properly since. Have spent over €300 on physio and physical therapist visits and cant get to route of problem. The hamstring tweek is a secondary issue i believe yet no one can find the primary issue.
    Took 2 full weeks off and tried to run Sat. Did 3 lovely miles Sat morning no issue at all. Pain free all day sat. Woke up Sun morning and hamstring feels like it is being pulled on and is sore all day and have not run since. Still feels like it is being pulled on today. Anyone any ideas....
    Context: Sit at office desk all day mon to Fri. Am blue in the face from stretching and strengthening the hamstring to no avail. Very frustrating.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Possibly a weakness in your lower back or issues caused from the way you sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Tweaked my hamstring 6 weeks ago ...and have not been able to run properly since. Have spent over €300 on physio and physical therapist visits and cant get to route of problem. The hamstring tweek is a secondary issue i believe yet no one can find the primary issue.
    Took 2 full weeks off and tried to run Sat. Did 3 lovely miles Sat morning no issue at all. Pain free all day sat. Woke up Sun morning and hamstring feels like it is being pulled on and is sore all day and have not run since. Still feels like it is being pulled on today. Anyone any ideas....
    Context: Sit at office desk all day mon to Fri. Am blue in the face from stretching and strengthening the hamstring to no avail. Very frustrating.

I'm always told my problems stem from the desk job rather than the hobby (running). Tight hip flexors and weak glutes tend to be the most common culprits of any injuries I've had over the past few years... I wonder if you are stretching and strengthening the right areas. Has physio done any testing on your functional strength/mobility?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Have you thought about tendinitis? I spent months thinking of tweekee a hamstring and then get another opinion and it's semi resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

OOnegative wrote: »
    Possibly a weakness in your lower back or issues caused from the way you sleep?

That's what i'm thinking but dont know why physio(s) has not suggested same.
    Surely if treating the primary area does not work they should be looking at were the problem could be originating from and trying to loosen/lengthen muscles that pull on the hamsting/pelvis?
    There is a tight muscle hiding somewhere else just need to find were.
    Not tendonitis and my glutes are firing ok

Similar happened a few years back with a groin strain. Turned out it was a tight muscle in my back then when they put pressure on it i could feel it all the way down the groin. Missed 8 weeks because of incorrect diagnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Personal feedback from me and research I've done on hamstring issues.

There is mixed feedback on stretching the hamstring, you could potentially be stretching something that is aleady over stretched.
    Focus on stretching around the hamstring instead, hip flexors, glutes, quads, etc.
    Stretching the non impacted side is supposed to help.

Focus on getting the hamstring strong again so it can cope with the loading, google/you tube progressive hamstring loading.
    Add strenght/mobility work to the other surrounding areas also.

Consider getting a specific cushion for your office chair to take some pressure off your lower back, something like this

Continuing to exersise/run is better than not doing anything if the pain is manageable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I have had similar problems in the past and it's always my back that's the source of the problem. I used to wake up with a sore achilles the morning after a deadline (where I had spent a lot of time hunched over a laptop) and the solution/recommendation was always to rest it. It never worked.

If you're sure that it's not a tear, I have found that activity helps more than rest. For recent hamstring 'aches', I do a combination of easy running, using a gentle forward bend to slowly stretch out my lower back (but NOT my hamstring) and, recently, Yoga with Adriene every night! And I've managed to work through it without taking any time off.

But both my hamstring and achilles issues seem to be related to sciatica and I've figured out a combination of stretches/exercises (stretching and strengthening the muscles around the affected area whatever it is) that I can turn to once it rears its head.

Obviously, everyone is different but I found that really trying to understand what has caused the issue is a great mental help. For example, knowing that the pain in my hamstring has come from a dysfunction elsewhere means I concentrate less on that single part of my leg and instead try to figure out what I've started doing or what I'm doing more, generally, that might have contributed to the emergence of that pain.

I've learned something from every physio I've been to but I think it's hard for them to ascertain how niggles arise - or can be resolved - without having a full picture of what we're doing every day, how we move, etc. Which we have!

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Personal feedback from me and research I've done on hamstring issues.

There is mixed feedback on stretching the hamstring, you could potentially be stretching something that is aleady over stretched.
    Focus on stretching around the hamstring instead, hip flexors, glutes, quads, etc.
    Stretching the non impacted side is supposed to help.

Focus on getting the hamstring strong again so it can cope with the loading, google/you tube progressive hamstring loading.
    Add strenght/mobility work to the other surrounding areas also.

Consider getting a specific cushion for your office chair to take some pressure off your lower back, something like this

Continuing to exersise/run is better than not doing anything if the pain is manageable.

Also, what he said!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Sacksian wrote: »
    Also, what he said!

Cheers lads. Both replies hit the nail on the head. Will get that cushion.

I had an achilles issue in Jan for 6 weeks then this since mid july. Every morning i get up it i feel my achilles and my hamstring so no doubt they all related.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭Duanington

Another back-issue-leading-to-hamstring-issues man here.

First of all, I think you need to get a proper diagnosis somehow, maybe a second opinion? Maybe research physios that have dealt with this kind of thing before?

That diagnosis should come with a plan to address the weakness causing it as opposed to a few weeks of massaging or whatever.

In my experience, lots of glute, core, lower back work on a very regular basis has brought the issue on leaps and bounds.
    I don't sit for more than 2\3 hours at the desk for work (I stand more than I sit)
    I don't skip S+C stuff, ever

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

As others have pointed out there could be an array of reasons.
    Few questions.
    How are your hips?, Are they tight.? Tilted? Shifted? Do they rotate when you walk/run.?
    How are your quads, tight? Do you ever get low back pain.?
    Did you physio/PT check for functional or static glute activation?
    Are you able to get get good thoracic rotation.?

The answer to these question might give you some indication of where your issue is coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 TSS GFC

Investigate pelvic tilt for sure if youre sitting a lot...its my first fix for all calf and hamstring issues...they seem to lock up and not tear several times a year

Advertisement