Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange smell of burnt plastic/waste in neighbourhood

• 16-08-2020 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,

I'd really appreciate any advice please.

For the past week, at least once a day, the most disgusting smell has been circulating around the neighbourhood.

The smell is not a smell of standard soot/smoke, it is almost indescribable, it is nauseating and highly unpleasant. It smells like a mixture of burnt rubber/plastic and a dump.

I live in a row of small terraced houses

There is one house with no bins, and I suspect the elderly gentleman might be burning his rubbish I've often seen heavy brown smoke with a weird smell coming from his chimney. Of course, I am only guessing it might be him, I have no proof of this.

But regardless, someone is burning something they shouldn't very frequently and it is causing an unpleasant smell.

What organisation can I contact anonymously (so there is no aggressive comeback on me) to try to stop this?

Any guidance or advice to deal with this? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

Contact your local council and if not satisfied escalate it!

https://lema.epa.ie/complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Captain Lugger

People burning rubbish in their ranges is endemic here. A waste bin collection costs €13 every two weeks and one of my near neighbours constantly burns their rubbish. The gas thing is that the same fella keeps saying that an industrial plant is the biggest cause of cancer locally. Silly bugger should look closer to home...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

People burning rubbish in their ranges is endemic here. A waste bin collection costs €13 every two weeks and one of my near neighbours constantly burns their rubbish. The gas thing is that the same fella keeps saying that an industrial plant is the biggest cause of cancer locally. Silly bugger should look closer to home...

Downsides of privitising and monatising waste management, the reality is, it doesn't always work!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭Treseemme.

If they don't burn it here it'll be burnt out in Malaysia or wherever we're sending the plastic now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Did you see the news from yesterday? ... overnight we have become a world leader in soft plastic recycling. This amazing declaration comes a few weeks after my local council recycle depot in Bray stopped accepting this material and instructed everyone to put it in their general waste bin, for landfill. They had been accepting it for years and then stopped overnight saying that in recent times they were stockpiling it because of no recycle option and had been sending for incineration - but now landfill was the best remaining option.

It seems even they were not aware of the strident progress that was being made elsewhere in the sector and that would be announced within weeks. The mismanagement and lack of coordination of recycle services in this country is a joke. It should be a national priority, nationally managed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement