Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Megadrive/master system lot

• 04-08-2020 7:53pm

Looking for a fair boards valuation on this lot before I list them (might be an idea to have a valuation thread here?) would rather see them all together, I picked up a mega sg a while back and don’t have the space for boxes and boxes of stuff, nothing particularly note worthy here but would rather sell them to a member here.. bottom 3 titles (wonderboy/simpsons/phelios) have no manuals all the rest do and the arrow flash/fix it Felix carts are repros.

F62045-B0-88-B3-4209-889-D-94-CDE325-C916.jpg

BC24-CDDB-C1-EE-4685-AA2-A-98-D7350-C1915.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Dublinandy3

I always try to do a middle price between www.pricecharting.com and sold items on eBay to get prices for the stuff I sell unless i want a quick sale.
    Selling as a bundle you’d have to take a percentage off too.

Yeah rather get rid of them all at once than the ball ache of selling them in small bundles and individually tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Few nice titles in there.

Pity im broke this month haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Looking for a fair boards valuation on this lot before I list them

There's no other way except to price them all against eBay sold listings, and cut a percentage off the top if selling as a bundle. It's a tedious thing to have to do, but it's the only proper way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,398 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If I were pricing this myself, I'd isolate the more expensive titles (you've a few shooters in there that go for more than your average game) and figure out what their going rate is, then deduct a bit for it being a bulk lot.

I'd then estimate an average for the remaining games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bubble Bobble....
    Want...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Looking for a fair boards valuation on this lot before I list them (might be an idea to have a valuation thread here?) would rather see them all together, I picked up a mega sg a while back and don’t have the space for boxes and boxes of stuff, nothing particularly note worthy here but would rather sell them to a member here.. bottom 3 titles (wonderboy/simpsons/phelios) have no manuals all the rest do and the arrow flash/fix it Felix carts are repros.

BC24-CDDB-C1-EE-4685-AA2-A-98-D7350-C1915.jpg

Seeing Mercs, Mega Games I and Comix Zone has just brought back a flood of memories. Must root mine out my Mega Drive I out of the attic over the weekend for some Sensible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Part Time Hero

bart and the space mutants was prob the hardest game i ever played lol

bart and the space mutants was prob the hardest game i ever played lol

True absolutely terrible game don’t think I ever got through first area haha

True absolutely terrible game don’t think I ever got through first area haha

Ah no!
    Its a classic.

I had it on my dads 486pc I think.
    Super hard game,never got passed mr burns mansion.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Years ago my grandad bought myself and my cousin a couple of games while away in the UK. Poor chap accidentally bought us Mastersystem games rather than Megadrive games though! Bart Versus the Space Mutants and Laser Ghost.

Ended up buying a Power Base Converter to play them.

Booted up Bart Versus The Space Mutants first - even my 8 year old brain was able to say 'what.the.feck.is.this.****e?'

You know a game is bad when the premise in level 1 is to look for purple things and 'spray paint' them a different colour. Felt more like one of those 'fun learning' games you'd play on a computer provided to your school with Quinnsworth vouchers.

Shut your dirty mouth Oisin.
    its a stone cold classic

Master of the Universe

Shut your dirty mouth Oisin.
    its a stone cold classic

You remind me of my younger self that got Ballz 3D: The Battle of the Balls one year for my birthday. Spent months convincing myself that it was a good game as I'd nothing else new to play until Christmas.

When picking it out, I was a bit trepadatious as I'd never heard of it, read this on the back though and was convinced;

'The closest thing to Virtua Fighter you will see on the Megadrive and a fab, fab game' - Angus Swan, Mean Machines Sega

**** you Angus Swan, **** you.

o1s1n wrote: »
    You remind me of my younger self that got Ballz 3D: The Battle of the Balls

Thanks,
    I got a good laugh out of that.
    I just looked up the PC version of BvsSM and it looks fair superior to the megadrive version/master system versions.
    Thats probably it.........

Just lucked up Ballz 3D,my god that looks ****e!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You know I actually liked Bart vs. The Space Mutants.

You see I had a C64 at the time and in the early 90's you jumped on any bone that was thrown at you. BvsSM reviewed really well on the C64. And in comparison to other C64 games at the time it was up the higher end, more an indication of how dire the C64 was compared to the NES and master system more than anything.

I found the game obnoxiously tough as well but once I got used to it I actually really enjoyed the opening level. There's some really clever puzzles mixed in with the platforming. There's a great bit of variety and it can feel a bit like a point and click at times with the puzzles and inventory management.

However if you got to the second stage and beyond it gets much worse. The game is front loaded and all the games good ideas are in that first level. The second level you have to collect hats in a linear platforming section. Get to the end and don't have enough hats and you'll have to backtrack and grind. There's some rotten sections like the tiny candy canes you need to jump on that rotate and knock you off. The timing seems random so it can just completely screw you up. It's so hard that the developers put in a way to cheat past it because even they knew it was bull****.

The third level again is another linear level where you collect **** in krusty land. It is admittedly visually pleasing at least.

The fourth level is in a museum and you collect exit signs. It's as far as I ever got. It's another linear level and absolutely nothing stands out.

The fifth and final level sounds like torture with it being a massive confusing maze where you have to collect radioactive bars and bring them back to a room. Some version have skateboarding bits that are entirely rote memorisation as well and instant death if you guess wrong.

I've gone back to the NES version and while I think the first level has some great ideas I recognise it's not a lot of fun.

The later levels are pretty bad with the usual level design that David Crane is noted for, i.e. the total lack of any level design. I heard it called 'airplane hangar' level design where you have a massive level and just fill it with random **** just to fill it up with not rhyme, reason or flow. See the Megadrive Shiny games like Cool Spot, Aladdin etc. or something like Home Improvement of the SNES for other examples.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You remind me of my younger self that got Ballz 3D: The Battle of the Balls one year for my birthday. Spent months convincing myself that it was a good game as I'd nothing else new to play until Christmas.

When picking it out, I was a bit trepadatious as I'd never heard of it, read this on the back though and was convinced;

'The closest thing to Virtua Fighter you will see on the Megadrive and a fab, fab game' - Angus Swan, Mean Machines Sega

**** you Angus Swan, **** you.

Sega Power loved it as well.

I loved that magazine but sometimes they got things so wrong like their baffling 3/10 for Mercs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Edge rarely got it wrong, of course..... (say the thing Retr0, say it!)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Edge rarely got it wrong, of course..... (say the thing Retr0, say it!)

cover4.jpg

ghedge.jpg

Why bring up such hurtful memories?

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »

The third level again is another linear level where you collect **** in krusty land. It is admittedly visually pleasing at least. .

We used to play it just to get to this level and play all the carnival games!

I remember we used to get to the Hat level boss and it would randomly crash.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sega Power loved it as well.

I loved that magazine but sometimes they got things so wrong like their baffling 3/10 for Mercs.

3/10 for Mercs?? that's a new one to me! Jobs should have been lost for that. :eek:

Yeah. I kept seeing it in the section where they listed all their review scores for every game in the back of the magazine and scratching my head and thinking where they playing the same game I was or was someone moonlighting from Edge magazine.

Master of the Universe

Isn't it interesting how, in some ways, what people 'want' from home gaming has changed in the last couple of decades?

I can remember quite a few very good arcade ports like that receiving mediocre to negative reviews when they were released, because they 'didn't add anything new' to gaming or 'weren't 3d and modern etc'. They were just seen as old hat while everyone was looking towards the 3D rendered VR future.

Years later we can fully appreciate how good some of these ports were and how close they were to their arcade originals.

If Mercs didn't have 'Original Mode' when I was a kid I'm sure I'd have been really pissed off and would have traded it in after finishing it a few times.

It's the same thing as games not being 3D enough. I remember being put off symphony of the night. I thought it looked absolutely gorgeous and really liked Castlevania but the uk press ripped it to pieces for being old looking

I'm so glad we had indies. The industry was heading for a creative dead end of crowd pleasing triple A games. And while triple A is very stagnant the variety of games available to us has never been better thanks to indies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Years ago my grandad bought myself and my cousin a couple of games while away in the UK. Poor chap accidentally bought us Mastersystem games rather than Megadrive games though! Bart Versus the Space Mutants and Laser Ghost.

Ended up buying a Power Base Converter to play them.

Booted up Bart Versus The Space Mutants first - even my 8 year old brain was able to say 'what.the.feck.is.this.****e?'

You know a game is bad when the premise in level 1 is to look for purple things and 'spray paint' them a different colour. Felt more like one of those 'fun learning' games you'd play on a computer provided to your school with Quinnsworth vouchers.

Always remember that some of us had to play it on the C64. So we got to enjoy loading it up for aeons before realising what it was.

Oddly though, I seem to recall enjoying it at the time.

Though, I enjoyed Klax and Fiendish Freddie as well tbf.

Advertisement