Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How many pools are remaining closed?

• 13-07-2020 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

Our local pool in North Wexford has remained closed, and is unlikely to reopen under current circumstances- meaning our swim club has no home (and local schools can't teach swimming, locals without facility, etc.)

I've been on a few Swim Ireland webinars recently and it appears ours isn't the only one remaining shut. If you know of others that are remaining closed perhaps we could compile a list, share issues, suggest solutions etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Do you know why? Where I go started some maintenance work and when the government plan changed werent able to open on time but are next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Do you know why?

Its been badly managed for years, and unfortunately Covid gave them the excuse to shut up shop. Didn't stop them continuing to take peoples membership direct debits from March to July mind.

But anecdotally I've heard of other pools in financial trouble- the new social distancing requirements mean less paying customers, ditto the vital gym income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ben Dunne has said the the pool in Northwood will never reopen.

He's been trying to close this for a few years so this was no surprise.

I'll either join a club and use Trinity in Dublin 13 or swim in Clontarf baths through the winter. But before that I'll be buying a heavier wetsuit in the hope of getting a few more weeks into the winter in the open water.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NewWheels

Ben Dunne has said the the pool in Northwood will never reopen.

He's been trying to close this for a few years so this was no surprise.

I'll either join a club and use Trinity in Dublin 13 or swim in Clontarf baths through the winter. But before that I'll be buying a heavier wetsuit in the hope of getting a few more weeks into the winter in the open water.

Westpoint Ben Dunne gym pool is also gone = refund applied for and refund received

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Will never see the value of the like again. 230 a year for gym and pool. I mainly used pool. Sure it was cheaper to just go up to Ben Dunnes for a shower at that yearly rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

Answering my own question, but Courtown swimming pool is gone, the Companies who have been running it (into the ground) have filed a High Court petition to wind themselves up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Sad to hear. There have been a few from there in Arklow lately

Advertisement