Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Galway congress has been cancelled. Sad but wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Eugene Donohoe

sodacat11 wrote: »
    Galway congress has been cancelled. Sad but wise.

A sensible and practical decision. I want to wish all of our chess friends well in the difficult times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭spidersweb

cdeb wrote: »
    LCU have advised clubs that all games are postponed until 29th March at least, following Varadkar's statement earlier.
    What if two teams are happy to go ahead and play each other as per the schedule?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

There's nothing the LCU can really do to stop that other than to note that it is in breach of government requests aimed at the wellbeing of the population.

It's not encouraged, but certainly a game is way below the threshold for internal activities (100+ people), although it does still constitute unnecessary social interaction

cdeb wrote: »
    There's nothing the LCU can really do to stop that other than to note that it is in breach of government requests aimed at the wellbeing of the population.

It's not encouraged, but certainly a game is way below the threshold for internal activities (100+ people), although it does still constitute unnecessary social interaction

I just had the idea that it was all about the 100 people indoors aspect, but yeah if it is about "social distancing" then I can see the logic. Not sure if it is a good idea or not, as if we apply such a precautionary principle to any amount of things we would perhaps almost never leave the house. More focus and practical might be to screen and isolate people coming into Ireland, like with the thousands returning from Cheltenham? Hard to balance things and avoid panic and hysteria. Have a feeling that a lot of people simply won't be interested much in League chess after April. Until next season, assuming we survive and life goes on.

• Advertisement

You could well be right. I do know that one game went ahead last night because players had agreed to travel across town before the announcement came - and as it was way below the 100 people, both sides went ahead with a strict "no sniffles" rule.

Was it the right choice? Who knows. But everyone was in agreement, so it went ahead.

Obviously had anyone sought to postpone, that would have been the end of the matter

The coronavirus pandemic might not peak until June or July. I think that we will be lucky if we are back playing chess in time for the Irish championships in July and I doubt that chess coaching in schools will resume before September.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

The coronavirus pandemic might not peak until June or July. I think that we will be lucky if we are back playing chess in time for the Irish championships in July and I doubt that chess coaching in schools will resume before September.

I was about to post that question, will the Irish ch go ahead?

For myself planning a flight from Spain where we are all in lockdown too now, looks doubtful. I am working from home 24/7 now and cant see this getting better any time soon.

I see good ol Boris Johnson thinks its all ok mind :)

Joedryan wrote: »
    I was about to post that question, will the Irish ch go ahead?

For myself planning a flight from Spain where we are all in lockdown too now, looks doubtful. I am working from home 24/7 now and cant see this getting better any time soon.

I see good ol Boris Johnson thinks its all ok mind :)
    I think that England has been very irresponsible in its dealing with coronavirus. They seem happy to have a cull of their elderly and infirm. I presume that Irish teams won't be attending 4NCL matches?

I think that England has been very irresponsible in its dealing with coronavirus. They seem happy to have a cull of their elderly and infirm. I presume that Irish teams won't be attending 4NCL matches?

I've tried to follow the "science" Johnson keeps going on about, it does seem to be a very defeatist strategy - lets infect 60% + of the population to get some kind of "herd immunity"

mad stuff if you ask me

• Advertisement

I've tried to follow the "science" Johnson keeps going on about, it does seem to be a very defeatist strategy - lets infect 60% + of the population to get some kind of "herd immunity"

mad stuff if you ask me

Hard to know who or what to believe.

Blue line shows the risk of too much early intervention and no herd immunity - a second peak. Likely next winter - a very dangerous point. Government's view is it's better to peak once and have that as close to the summer as possible.

ETAGAdxXQAUduM4?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pdemp

If this was a disease in cattle I'd completely agree with what the UK are doing, but the above graph seems to ignore that fact all other countries can repeat the shutdown but with 6 months to plan for it versus the UK's 1-5% of those over the blue, under the green can between months 3 and 7 can just die because we don't want 2-3 shutdowns [time to get to vaccine]. And that's assuming medium term immunity.

I was really worried Ireland was following the UK's lead until yesterday. Using https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/download-todays-data-geographic-distribution-covid-19-cases-worldwide data I had thought (very crude analysis) we'd have 16 new cases yesterday [was 27 so shocked but hard to predict with such small numbers early on], 23 today, 32 tomorrow, 45 on Sun, 64 Mon, 90 Tues, 127 Wed, 180 Thurs, 254 Fri, but now I'm hopeful that Wed, Thu, Fri figures will be down to 71, 87, 107, but God know what Cheltenham will do to that [it's not the outdoor element of it, more the pubs afterwards].

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Pete Morriss

I happened to see that chess24 is reporting that an Irish player - presumably a junior - has had a preliminary positive test in Murmansk

Let's hope it's a false alarm.

It's not.

But would obviously advise standard common sense precautions when discussing another person's medical issues in public.

I happened to see that chess24 is reporting that an Irish player - presumably a junior - has had a preliminary positive test in Murmansk

Let's hope it's a false alarm.
    Bloody stupid to be in Murmansk at all at the moment, if I had kids who were entered there I would have kept them at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Bloody stupid to be in Murmansk at all at the moment, if I had kids who were entered there I would have kept them at home.
    I mostly agree, though Russia has some of the lowest numbers of cases (especially per capita) of anywhere*, and this whole thing has escalated a lot in a week.

*If you believe their numbers. I don't.

I don't know how people are even thinking about chess at the moment. I will just be happy if I and the people I love are still alive at the end of this disaster.

It just gets weirder and weirder. Russia is probably the safest country one can think of. Hopefully , as with the overwhelming number of cases for young people, it will be ok for the child in question and everything will be ok.

"So, in Murmansk, the coronavirus was detected. We make a reservation, the test is screening, to put an end to the question: is it really COVID-19 or a false-positive reaction will be possible only after a confirmatory analysis. An Irish citizen took part in the annual chess tournament, which took place at the Meridian Hotel last weekend. It remains to be seen how, despite the ban on mass events with the participation of foreigners, this became possible. Information about the result of the analysis came when the chess player was already registered. So Murmansk Airport is in a special mode today. Well, at the Meridian Hotel, where the chess tournament was held and the participants lived, Rospotrebnadzor is working today. An analysis reception center was deployed on the ground floor, an epidemiological investigation is being conducted, all contacts are identified and conversations are conducted with them.

Marina Kalmykova, General Director of the Meridian Congress Hotel: “Analyzes today were taken from absolutely all employees who contacted the tournament participants and who did not contact. We were not officially shut down, but for two days we did not settle anyone until we were ready the results of the analyzes of all the employees and those clients who were in the hotel. Those four maids who worked directly on this floor are isolated for two days, suspended from work, as are the two reception staff. We are waiting for the results of analyzes. ”

Mobile groups of the regional center for hygiene and epidemiology arrived at the Meridian congress hotel together with Rospotrebnadzor employees. First of all, we started processing the premises, - object number one is room 5009, on the fifth floor, where the Irish chess player lived. For disinfection, a composition based on quaternary ammonium compounds is used. The procedure itself is standard."

Meanwhile, all sporting events in the world are cancelled, countries in lockdown, but the geniuses in FIDE have decided lets go ahead with the candidates :)

You couldnt make it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

Crap situation to find yourself in. Based on the information about the virus one would imagine he is not the profile of person who is not at risk.

Will be in Russia for the next 2 weeks. Hopefully he gets looked after well.

I don't know how people are even thinking about chess at the moment. I will just be happy if I and the people I love are still alive at the end of this disaster.

Indeed, well said. I was looking forward to the candidates but now the whole thing seems obscene that it is going ahead, saw everybody didnt turn up to the opening ceremony and they are all wearing masks.

Meanwhile, all sporting events in the world are cancelled, countries in lockdown, but the geniuses in FIDE have decided lets go ahead with the candidates :)

You couldnt make it up.
    But Russia if very safe surely? Has to be tiny risk no? really tiny

spidersweb wrote: »
    But Russia if very safe surely? Has to be tiny risk no? really tiny

why very safe? It'll be the same as everywhere else. Worse if anything, I wouldnt trust the official figures at all.

Grischuk has said there is a 50% chance the tournament wont finish, I'd put it higher, but it simply shouldnt be happening, its obscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Of all the sports competitions in the world, surely this has to be one of the easiest to move online?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

I don't think you can move a tournament of the candidates stature online. It would almost be a completely different game and would take away allot from the tournament.

What happens if the tournament is cancelled does Radjabov get his spot back?

why very safe? It'll be the same as everywhere else. Worse if anything, I wouldnt trust the official figures at all.

Grischuk has said there is a 50% chance the tournament wont finish, I'd put it higher, but it simply shouldnt be happening, its obscene.

Safe because Russia is a strictly no open border country that took swift action back in January and they have had a very very small number of cases. They will not end up anything like the rest, such as Spain or Italy. There are very logical reasons why Italy was so badly effected so quickly. Those things do not apply in Russia and so far they have contained it.Maybe they won't be able to contain it, but still no comparison with the open borders, no borders nations.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR1kXELmidIKFPi6lwrYv-bxoz-VMJSN21gnt37eNuubDW36c-Dhh7NW2UU#countries

The case of the Irish kid is not yet confirmed and it might be just that they are not taking any chances. He is stuck in Russia for two weeks now in Q.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DancingSpaniel

Russia seems to be closing its borders:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-russia-border-close-flights-when-residents-latest-a9405131.html
    Hope our man is doing ok and gets home soon.

Russia seems to be closing its borders:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-russia-border-close-flights-when-residents-latest-a9405131.html
    Hope our man is doing ok and gets home soon.
    Presumably "our man" had the virus before he travelled so he would have been in contact with people on the plane, then people in the bus/taxi, then his opponents, and all those people will in turn have had contact with others. Probably "our man" will only have mild symptoms and recover quickly but I wonder what the long term effects of his parents bringing him to play chess at a time like this will be for others?

• Advertisement

Entirely possible it was contracted over there too. Estonian and French players there too, and both countries are worse hit than us at the moment (or even last Thursday when everyone flew out - seems an age ago now, but we only had 20 or so cases then)

Either way, while you can argue the tournament shouldn't have gone ahead or players should have withdrawn (and many did), ultimately all this seems inevitable to be honest. People going down the pub or to Cheltenham will have done far more damage than a chess player going to Murmansk.

Advertisement