Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ajax wireless alarm system

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Hi all,

Have run alarm wire to everything. Can I use that for this system or is it all wireless?

Is it recommended to get this from HomeSecure or would you say it would make sense to order it from eBay (and then use my own SIM Card) and get the electrician to install it?

It's a completely wireless system if you want it to be. There is really no need for an electrician to install. The only wiring would be to link additional 3rd party detectors to the system or for a backup supply to an external siren - both of which are just extras really.

You could order from one of the European websites such as https://www.megateh.eu or https://www.best-alarm-system-webshop.eu and do a self install if you wanted to. It's a very simple system to install, just fix detectors in place with screws provided and link them to the app. All instructions are available on Ajax website too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Hi all,

Have run alarm wire to everything. Can I use that for this system or is it all wireless?

Is it recommended to get this from HomeSecure or would you say it would make sense to order it from eBay (and then use my own SIM Card) and get the electrician to install it?

Be careful if you are going to employ someone to install a Security system, they are legally obliged to have a PSA license, if they do not and are caught then they and you as the person that employed them, will also be subject to prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ElliotE2

Hi, I am just coming to the end of a 1 year rental agreement with Home Secure using the Ajax Wireless system and was hoping others might be able to give me a steer.

I am considering purchasing the system for a once off fee, has anyone done this? I don't think I'll miss monitoring but not so sure about maintenance. We've had no issues during the year and battery life seems good so I can't imagine there will be too much maintenance likely to arise. I am pretty useless with DIY so if something did go wrong we would need a call-out, I assume it would be easy enough to source replacement parts and that other engineers could work on the Ajax system without issue?

I had also assumed I could continue to use app if end my Home Secure contract but apparently it would be a tenner a month; this seems odd. Do Home Secure have some propriety control over the app? Is there any other version of it I could use?

Thanks for any info you may have,

Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 29 thomasoreilly

ElliotE2 wrote: »

I had also assumed I could continue to use app if end my Home Secure contract but apparently it would be a tenner a month; this seems odd. Do Home Secure have some propriety control over the app? Is there any other version of it I could use?

Thanks for any info you may have,

Gary

Just signed up myself, decided to go with home secure so I can spend the 1k+ it would have cost to buy it myself on other house necessities.
    I was told I'll own the system after 3 years. I'm expecting I'll use the Ajax app from then. I've asked if I can use it from the start, yet to get an answer. If they don't give you full admin to the system, thus full control and capability to use Ajax app, when you own it then there's something wrong there, as I can't imagine it "has" to use their branded app. If there is an ongoing subscription to use the app after you own it I'll be using my rights to cancel within 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Just signed up myself, decided to go with home secure so I can spend the 1k+ it would have cost to buy it myself on other house necessities.
    I was told I'll own the system after 3 years. I'm expecting I'll use the Ajax app from then. I've asked if I can use it from the start, yet to get an answer. If they don't give you full admin to the system, thus full control and capability to use Ajax app, when you own it then there's something wrong there, as I can't imagine it "has" to use their branded app. If there is an ongoing subscription to use the app after you own it I'll be using my rights to cancel within 14 days.

Their app is just a rebranded version of the Ajax app. You can use the Ajax app, you just need to add your hubs serial number. They system becomes yours after 3 years, if you wish to stop your subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Their app is just a rebranded version of the Ajax app. You can use the Ajax app, you just need to add your hubs serial number. They system becomes yours after 3 years, if you wish to stop your subscription.

Alarm fitted today. I'm pleasantly surprised by how it looks, the internal siren and the keypad both look good.

The app is a bit clunky as is the operation of the keypad... Easy for me to operate, but not straight forward for visitors like my parents.

What has everyone else done with the wires from a wired system? I'm debating whether to leave a bit of wire or cut them back completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Alarm fitted today. I'm pleasantly surprised by how it looks, the internal siren and the keypad both look good.

The app is a bit clunky as is the operation of the keypad... Easy for me to operate, but not straight forward for visitors like my parents.

What has everyone else done with the wires from a wired system? I'm debating whether to leave a bit of wire or cut them back completely.

I cut them

• Registered Users Posts: 6 karmyth

Thank you everyone for such useful insights, you've helped me make up my mind towards getting the whole Ajax setup for self-installation, as opposed to going for Homesecure!

I compared prices between Best Alarm and Megateh for the setup I want, and I have to say I'm quite surprised to see such a big difference between them.
    Hub 2 Plus, 3 doorprotect plus, 3 combiprotect, 1 keypad, 1 spacecontrol and 1 street siren are coming out at a total of €1074 on Best Alarm and €1406 on Megateh (both with free shipping)...

Is it normal to see such a difference in prices? I've never bought anything from any of them, so I don't really know what to expect, but I would have never thought to see such a big difference in pricing between one and the other!

Any thoughts appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Prices vary with megateh. When I bought, they were substantially cheaper than bestalarm. They often do specials and some products are always cheaper at one than the other so I pick up extra add ons from whichever is cheaper at the time. One thing to note with best alarm is that you can usually get a discount code from them on their live chat by saying that you found it cheaper elsewhere or that you have a big order etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rlady

it is appropriate to power this system. Another friend of mine bought it the other day and is very satisfied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

Did abit of shopping around for what i was looking for and got to say both Best Alarm and Megateh were giving me stupid prices. Megateh, was nearly twice as much as what i picked mine up for.

Also you can use the old wired sensors if you don`t fancy using the wireless ones on all your windows, mine would cost me a small fortune to fit on every opener, with the multitransmitter https://ajax.systems/products/multitransmitter/ this as 18 zones, and will integrate into ajax

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Folks,

Strongly considering pulling the trigger on Ajax, the biggest hurdle is trying ton convince myself to forgo the Home Assistant integration which I really wish it had, that would make it perfect.

What I'd really like to know is if anyone on here went with the Smoke/Temp/CO2 detectors and how they find them? I've got wired ones now but assume I can just disconnect those and push them up into the ceiling, but what I'd really like to know is how well they work in the kitchen? Does the toaster set the smoke detector off for example, or can you configure that element?

Thanks in advance.

Folks,

Strongly considering pulling the trigger on Ajax, the biggest hurdle is trying ton convince myself to forgo the Home Assistant integration which I really wish it had, that would make it perfect.

What I'd really like to know is if anyone on here went with the Smoke/Temp/CO2 detectors and how they find them? I've got wired ones now but assume I can just disconnect those and push them up into the ceiling, but what I'd really like to know is how well they work in the kitchen? Does the toaster set the smoke detector off for example, or can you configure that element?

Thanks in advance.

I have the fire protect and the flood protect installed.

I didnt disconnect the ones already installed.

Ive tested mine to make sure they are working but they have never went off when cooking.

I have the fire protect and the flood protect installed.

I didnt disconnect the ones already installed.

Ive tested mine to make sure they are working but they have never went off when cooking.

Thanks for that info.

Just so I'm clear, when you say you didn't disconnect the ones already installed, does that mean you're essentially running 2 detectors in your rooms (Ajax + Original) and if so, any particular reason for that?

Cheers!

Thanks for that info.

Just so I'm clear, when you say you didn't disconnect the ones already installed, does that mean you're essentially running 2 detectors in your rooms (Ajax + Original) and if so, any particular reason for that?

Cheers!

I have a new build.
    My original fire detectors are hardwired into the house and every room has them so would be a lot of work removing them.

The Ajax ones are battery operated.

The original ones are useful if I’m in the house when something kicks off

If I’m out of the house my original ones won’t notify me there is an issue.

The Ajax ones will notify me via the app that there is an issue either upstairs or downstairs or which room.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

With the wired smoke detectors there is an interconnect wire, and from what i can read mine being fireangel if there is 5 volts on the line (don`t quote me on the votage) then all smoke detectors should sound the alarm. So if any alarm detects smoke it will put 5volts on that line.
    Now Ajax do transmitter or multitransmitter that you can use for wired sensors like pir / window sensors and also it says fire alarms, so you can use your old wired sensors and have them setup and alert in ajax.
    Now i`m not sure how this would work, as the ajax transmitter as a in and out for the cable for the alarm, but my fire alarm interconnect just connects all the smoke detectors together, there is no return cable. So unless i have to run an cable back from the last interconnect for the out return or maybe i can just jumper the in and out together and have the interconnect into one , so if there is a 5volt on the line it will be seen on both inputs.
    I can`t find anything on the web for this, so might be talking out my a$$, maybe its something for there support. If it can be done that would be excellent.

Obviously there has been lots of chat on here on where to purchase Ajax kit with Megateh & Best Alarm being the primary 'go-to' for most.

On further research, I am reading that Best Alarm are a proper agent for Ajax offering a 4 year warranty on their products, vs Megateh being a non-agent with no warranty. Can anyone provide any insight if this is just marketing fluff from Best, or there is actually some truth behind it?

Obviously as has been outlined here, Megateh are cheapest for Ajax with their incredible BF deal, but Best aren't too far off and if their support is better, then maybe it's worth the small bit extra?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

Looking at their various motion sensors the best choice for me seems to be motion protect plus as i have heat recovery (doubt it's as big temp differential as the air con they mention). But is has an extra radar for air and curtain movements.

This though takes the combi (with sound) and and motion cam out of my options. Has anyone used these two with heat recovery without any problems? I'd like to have one motion cam for verification purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

Obviously there has been lots of chat on here on where to purchase Ajax kit with Megateh & Best Alarm being the primary 'go-to' for most.

On further research, I am reading that Best Alarm are a proper agent for Ajax offering a 4 year warranty on their products, vs Megateh being a non-agent with no warranty. Can anyone provide any insight if this is just marketing fluff from Best, or there is actually some truth behind it?

Obviously as has been outlined here, Megateh are cheapest for Ajax with their incredible BF deal, but Best aren't too far off and if their support is better, then maybe it's worth the small bit extra?

Cheers
    Best Alarm will price match Megateh.
    PS Many thanks to all posting on this thread and over on Home Automation and IOT forum for very informative posts on this topic.

Best Alarm will price match Megateh.
    PS Many thanks to all posting on this thread and over on Home Automation and IOT forum for very informative posts on this topic.

Yep agreed on the thanks here as it's been very helpful.

Regarding the price-match, they wouldn't match as it goes in the end, and were quite a bit out compared to Megateh so ended up going with them in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

Regarding the price-match, they wouldn't match as it goes in the end, and were quite a bit out compared to Megateh so ended up going with them in the end.
    Seems it might therefore depends on BAS customer service rep. one deals with?
    What I did: First got an online quote from M for Ajax alarm products I required. (All M’s Ajax alarm products currently qualify for their Black Friday discount. Not sure from M’s website when their Black Friday discount ends.) Then added exact same list of Ajax alarm products in BAS’s online shopping cart. Using BAS’s online chat box, attached screenshot of Ajax alarm products in M’s online shopping cart and availed of BAS’s price guarantee:
    [BAS price guarantee — quote: “”Seen a lower price elsewhere? Let us know, we offer the lowest price guarantee.”]
    BAS customer service rep. I dealt with provided, without quibbling, a bespoke discount coupon which I entered in BAS cart.
    Result: While BAS didn’t further discount M’s price they did match it.

Seems it might therefore depends on BAS customer service rep. one deals with?
    What I did: First got an online quote from M for Ajax alarm products I required. (All M’s Ajax alarm products currently qualify for their Black Friday discount. Not sure from M’s website when their Black Friday discount ends.) Then added exact same list of Ajax alarm products in BAS’s online shopping cart. Using BAS’s online chat box, attached screenshot of Ajax alarm products in M’s online shopping cart and availed of BAS’s price guarantee:
    [BAS price guarantee — quote: “”Seen a lower price elsewhere? Let us know, we offer the lowest price guarantee.”]
    BAS customer service rep. I dealt with provided, without quibbling, a bespoke discount coupon which I entered in BAS cart.
    Result: While BAS didn’t further discount M’s price they did match it.

Well done on that - interestingly I did the same back to back option and did push the subject a little, but sadly my rep wouldn't budge on what they had in place and just stood behind the fact that M wasn't an authorised seller and they had a 4 year warranty.

Fair play to you for getting the deal with B in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pitterbrayn

Hello! I really need your friendly advice. I am also going to install the Ajax system. COuld you please share your experience in using that? How long do you have it, and does it worth it. I have read a lot about it. As I understood, this is a professional security system. I can choose any products I want to be connected to that and control them through the phone application. It will be very useful for me due to a lot of business trips now and usual trips after the pandemic (if it will ever end). So, I guess, if I spend more money on a qualitative security system now, I will save it in the future and make a good investment, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gingerino

Hello! I really need your friendly advice. I am also going to install the Ajax system. COuld you please share your experience in using that? How long do you have it, and does it worth it. I have read a lot about it. As I understood, this is a professional security system. I can choose any products I want to be connected to that and control them through the phone application. It will be very useful for me due to a lot of business trips now and usual trips after the pandemic (if it will ever end). So, I guess, if I spend more money on a qualitative security system now, I will save it in the future and make a good investment, right?
    I guess you are right. It is always more reasonable to spend money on a qualitative product than to waste them buying a cheap one. I have been using the Ajax system for a while. I use lots of their products. I hope they will start producing their cameras soon. The quality of the system is great, the design looks good. But when I connected another brand cams, they do not suit that minimalistic Ajax design. So, I hope we'll see new Ajax devices soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

Looking to upgrade/replace my Aritech CS350 old school alarm system and wonder if the Ajax system would be a possible drop-in replacement for a wired system?

If going to go Ajax alone, what is the minimal set of kit? Control panel, pirs, contacts, external sounder, key fob? Just some idea would help. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

What sim card are people using in the hub? I think two is overkill so just going to add one, any recommendations, whats the least expensive one, I'm guessing a PAYG sim is best, not sure which one needs topping up the least, any advise?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

Supercell wrote: »
    What sim card are people using in the hub? I think two is overkill so just going to add one, any recommendations, whats the least expensive one, I'm guessing a PAYG sim is best, not sure which one needs topping up the least, any advise?

I use things mobile which is a World 4G sim card. Its prepay and it very cheap, maybe €20 or so per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I use things mobile which is a World 4G sim card. Its prepay and it very cheap, maybe €20 or so per year.

Thanks for that, will look into it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

How much data do you find yourself using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

Pete123456 wrote: »
    How much data do you find yourself using?

45MB in 130 days.

Advertisement