Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So very sad

Options
  • 17-10-2019 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

If you're from Dublin or live here, you'll know the Dublin Bus driver salute. When two Dublin Buses pass one another, the drivers will invariably salute one another. It could be a head nod, or a wave, or a beep, or the drivers slightly lifting their hand off the steering wheel to acknowledge their comrade on the opposite side of the road. We've all seen it. But today I saw something different.

I saw a Dublin Bus pass a Go Ahead Ireland bus. I watched as the two drivers looked at one another, each of them waiting for acknowledgement before reciprocating, but it never came. The Go Ahead Ireland driver slowly passed the Dublin Bus driver. Standing at the front, I side-eyed my driver to see if a tear would roll down his big fat cheek. Hell, I was sad just watching it, but he was hardened to it.

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that they work for separate companies and therefore don't know each other personally, so why would they wave? Thing is, not all Dublin Bus drivers know each other personally. There is or was hundreds of them, but did not knowing one another stop them from acknowledging each other on the road? Of course not because there's a bond there. They're brothers in arms and the fact that the Go Ahead Ireland drivers and Dublin Bus drivers don't share that brotherhood is sad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brevity

When two tribes go to war...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

The GoAhead driver was just slow on the reaction, he probably saluted late.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

brevity wrote: »
    When too tribes go to war...

Erm ... imagine if there was another bus company, then tree tribes would go to war.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Was it the 155?

Erm ... imagine if there was another bus company, then tree tribes would go to war.

Damn autocorrect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Nobody cares about Imp drivers. Judging by their physical appearance they didn't even care about themselves.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The real question is, how many cyclists did they nearly hit during this non exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I know two DB drivers, they don't even say hello to their kids. What hope has a rival driver got? I bet it was one of those two drivers OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Muller1991

GooglePlus wrote: »
    The GoAhead driver was just slow on the reaction, he probably saluted late.

We have a thread winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Was it the 155?

No nobody salutes that driver, but they tend to give the middle finger alright....

• Advertisement

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Nobody cares about Imp drivers. Judging by their physical appearance they didn't even care about themselves.

Maybe the Ents would be tree tribes

Many of them don't wave and quite a few are nervous from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

If you're from Dublin or live here, you'll know the Dublin Bus driver salute. When two Dublin Buses pass one another, the drivers will invariably salute one another. It could be a head nod, or a wave, or a beep, or the drivers slightly lifting their hand off the steering wheel to acknowledge their comrade on the opposite side of the road. We've all seen it. But today I saw something different.

I saw a Dublin Bus pass a Go Ahead Ireland bus. I watched as the two drivers looked at one another, each of them waiting for acknowledgement before reciprocating, but it never came. The Go Ahead Ireland driver slowly passed the Dublin Bus driver. Standing at the front, I side-eyed my driver to see if a tear would roll down his big fat cheek. Hell, I was sad just watching it, but he was hardened to it.

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that they work for separate companies and therefore don't know each other personally, so why would they wave? Thing is, not all Dublin Bus drivers know each other personally. There is or was hundreds of them, but did not knowing one another stop them from acknowledging each other on the road? Of course not because there's a bond there. They're brothers in arms and the fact that the Go Ahead Ireland drivers and Dublin Bus drivers don't share that brotherhood is sad.

You may need to broaden your horizons a little,I share a stretch of route with several Go-Ahead routes and regularly exchange salutations with their staff,sometimes get a return,occasionally not,which is all OK ?

Perhaps it's a visual acuity thing...and your side-eyed right eye missed the exchange? :cool:

Oddly enough,not ALL Busdrivers feel the need to gesticulate to fellow lodge-members,some may merely raise a (pencilled) eyebrow or lift the nose just a tad.

:D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I know two DB drivers, they don't even say hello to their kids. What hope has a rival driver got? I bet it was one of those two drivers OP.

Maybe it was both of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

There was a lot to be said for the old broadside, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The real question is, how many cyclists did they nearly hit during this non exchange.

Not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

If you're from Dublin or live here, you'll know the Dublin Bus driver salute. When two Dublin Buses pass one another, the drivers will invariably salute one another.

Your life sounds like absolute non stop excitement :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

jiltloop wrote: »
    Maybe it was both of them!

Possibly they take it in turns to be very cold 'bastards', even trying to outdo one another.
    Stay strong private bus driver, you'll get the 'wave' some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

They have completely different jobs and social statuses, why would they salute each other.

One is a man with a very high skill set. He can drive a bus. He has a pension, a thousand quid a week, job for life, shift allowance, sick pay, probably lives in his own house in Beaumont or just outside Dundrum. Nice wife and kids who will all go to a nice school.

The other guy is just a bus driver. All he can do is drive a bus.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

just drive the ****in bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Ah, but the theory goes that it's better to break up cosy cartels.

MrAbyss wrote: »
    just drive the ****in bus.

10 & 2 or 9 & 3.... That is where they must be ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Maybe one was the paedo bus driver and the other was too old for him to wave at when he could be waving at school girls

Edgware wrote: »
    Maybe one was the paedo bus driver and the other was too old for him to wave at when he could be waving at school girls

I see what ya did there..... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I see what ya did there..... ;-)

What did he do?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Dublin's a kip....

What did he do?

A certain bus driver on the 155 out of Donnybrook is a paedo....

Jonybgud wrote: »
    Dublin's a kip....

That's why I always get out of it as quickly as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I imagine if there are no passengers they go into full wacky races mode and deploy tacks, spikes, scythes etc...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement