Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC VS Siemens App Discussion Stickey Temp

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is everything on the HKC app still using a GSM /GPRS connection only?
    Have HKC started using the IP connection yet?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

altor wrote: »
    The HKC app was updated to show zone status plus allow inhibiting of individual zone or zones before arming from the app. In the older app it would list open zones and then you could inhibit the open zones automatically by continuing to arm. Version 1.0.3 is the new App.

It also has site specific detail settings rather than global settings for multi sites.

I saw that, it is a handy feature on the Siemens app for me, got me out of a few scratches, it's a good feature on any app

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes, Siemens had this from the very start, they also have it on the browser access.
    You can inhibit all open zones in one go or individually.
    You can also isolate zones open or any fault on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Is a HKC wifi card or Lan card not IP??? If its not IP then they must have reinvented the whole Internet protocol to talk to it....

It's using a GPRS connection.
    This leaves it vulnerable to GSM jammers.
    Most other panels use your own internet connection. Ofcourse all other comms will have some sort of vulnerability as well.
    The GSD panel can notify you if the connection to the servers are lost.

• Advertisement

I assume you are referring to the wifi card and not the Lan card???

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Koolkid.
    The Wifi card uses IP
    The LAN card Uses IP

What makes you think they use GPRS ?

Yeah my point exactly.... Since when does IP use GPRS????
    Have never seen it... IP is IP... Internet based...

So you no longer need the GSM & SIM card to use the app?
    Apologies I was not aware of this update.
    So can you now connect the alarm to your own internet connection instead of using GPRS via their SIM card?
    If this is the case is there also an option to connect directly to your panel from its IP address?

http://www.hkcsecurity.com/ie/product/ethernet-adaptor-card/communicators/#.VVd_X1tN1FI
    http://www.hkcsecurity.com/ie/product/wifi-card/communicators/#.VVelultN1FI

A quick HKC search tells you IP is available... How you access the panel is HKC's choice and that i don't know as i don't have either....

• Advertisement

I always thought communication between the panel & securecom was only available via GSM modem using their SIM card. If this has changed to allow use of an existing internet connection as either an alternative or as a second path that would be a most welcome improvement.

Its been like that a quite a while now. Three options to allow APP access.

GPRS = provides push, voice, modem and text alerts.
    WIFI = provides push, voice, modem and text alerts.
    LAN= provides push, voice, modem and text alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

KoolKid wrote: »
    I always thought communication between the panel & securecom was only available via GSM modem using their SIM card. If this has changed to allow use of an existing internet connection as either an alternative or as a second path that would be a most welcome improvement.

It's always been WiFi card, LAN card or GSM. Covers all angles TBH.

I wasn't aware of that . Thanks for the update.
    So is the subscription the same even if there are no SIM charges?

Yes.

Pretty good service if you're happy to pay the fiver a month, would you agree?

Pretty good service if you're happy to pay the fiver a month, would you agree?

Not for using your own internet connection. No.

Not for using your own internet connection. No.

Why not ? Youre not just getting push notifications when using the WiFi or LAN card. You're getting VOICE CALLS and TEXTS to your phone as well as push via your internet connection. No one else's offers all this through their IP setups.

So without using the SIM you get Voice ,Text & Push notifications just via your internet connection. And this connection is through either WiFi or LAN via your own ISP.
    Is that correct?

So without using the SIM you get Voice ,Text & Push notifications just via your internet connection. And this connection is through either WiFi or LAN via your own ISP.
    Is that correct?

Yes correct

• Advertisement

So is the subscription the same whether using IP connection or the sim card with GSM?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Is this the same on the Siemens ?

No,
    The Siemens Panel uses IP which gives you email alerts and remote access via the app or via a browser. There is no charges for the app and there is no subscription charges. Risco would be the same with push notifications also.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

No,
    The Siemens Panel uses IP which gives you email alerts and remote access via the app or via a browser. There is no charges for the app and there is no subscription charges. Risco would be the same with push notifications also.

So the HKC is slightly more secure but there is a small additional cost?

I think we are splitting hairs here.
    Clearly they are both excellent alarms.

It is just down to personal preference.

I agree. But it seems a bit unfair that you have to pay the same subscription charge as those paying for sim card charges. There is also no free option for those customers who want alerts and the use of an app. My main point on this is there are many different ways to get multiple alerts and free remote access without the need to sign up to ongoing subscriptions.
    Does anyone know if there was any information at the recent road shows about the new price plans?

I agree.

:)

But it seems a bit unfair that you have to pay the same subscription charge as those paying for sim card charges.

It's not "unfair" because:

(a) You get better security for your money.

(b) You don't have to install the HKC panel, you could opt for the almost identical Siemens system.

Back to splitting hairs.....

We always advise that customers shop around and compare prices like for like.
    As an installer, in my experience, customers want an app and alerts. We install more IP panels than standard panels at this stage. Less than 5%of those would be looking for multiple paths etc. If they do this can still be done without signing up for a subscription.
    Any one who wants the more secure options would see there is better value and security spending your subscription money on central station monitoring.

Its the same €4.99 month for the LAN GSM or WiFi even if you use all three modules.... If you opt for monitoring this covers all daily calls to the station aswell. So if you installed a WIFI module and GSM then the €4.99 could be considered the charge to keep the sim active. Even though the €4.99 is justified for the IP modules since youre getting voice + text.No messing with keeping sims topped up and checking balance.

We always advise that customers shop around and compare prices like for like.
    As an installer, in my experience, customers want an app and alerts. We install more IP panels than standard panels at this stage. Less than 5%of those would be looking for multiple paths etc. If they do this can still be done without signing up for a subscription.
    Any one who wants the more secure options would see there is better value and security spending your subscription money on central station monitoring.

Will the Siemens system let the user know if the panel is down?

• Advertisement

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Its the same €4.99 month for the LAN GSM or WiFi even if you use all three modules.... If you opt for monitoring this covers all daily calls to the station aswell. So if you installed a WIFI module and GSM then the €4.99 could be considered the charge to keep the sim active. Even though the €4.99 is justified for the IP modules since youre getting voice + text.No messing with keeping sims topped up and checking balance.

Fair point.
    So we really are splitting hairs, although the HKC has a €4.99 monthly charge it provides the end user with more secure comms and it lets the user know if the panel goes down. I have to say that would swing it for me.

However that is not to say that the Siemens is not a good panel too.

Advertisement