Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android Forum FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm afraid you'll have to wipe. Its a prerequisite for installing a new ROM on your phone. Once you find one that you like (like Villain for example), you can upgrade that from version to version without having to wipe again.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,009 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm afraid you'll have to wipe. Its a prerequisite for installing a new ROM on your phone. Once you find one that you like (like Villain for example), you can upgrade that from version to version without having to wipe again.

so i'll have to buy the few paid apps I have again? What a pain the hole!

God no.... not at all.

Your paid apps are tied to your google account. They will show up as "Purchased" in the market. You just need to dowload them again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,009 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

God no.... not at all.

Your paid apps are tied to your google account. They will show up as "Purchased" in the market. You just need to dowload them again. :)

excellent.

I'll have a look into it properly tonight.

I had a look at the Villian 12 instructions last night (on xda.developers) and it seemed a little vague - in that it seemed you needed to know what they were talking about. telling you to do 'X' without telling you how to do 'X'.

Also, I have heard it is awkward to root stock 2.1 - is this correct? You posted about this before, with dunworth1 replying above. Is that in relation to rooting 2.1, or something else? The instructions seem both straight forward and just complex enough for me to F up!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭plhealy2000

Try here. There is a good guide to rooting that i used myself last week.

http://www.villainrom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=2096

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

just backup and read the wiki instructions or forum instructions carefully.

It is straightforward if you give it the needed time.

I recommend cyanogen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Any link on how to do this Mr.E?

I have VillianROM 10 and wanted to put 12.0 on it but I didnt know you could do it like that....

Generally between major releases (9,10,11 etc.) you should wipe to prevent problems. On point releases in between you can update without wiping (so you can put 10.1 over 10, for example)

Generally between major releases (9,10,11 etc.) you should wipe to prevent problems. On point releases in between you can update without wiping (so you can put 10.1 over 10, for example)

Ah ok...cheers Mr.E. I thought you were referring to the OTA updater...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ru437z9t8fidq2

ok so maybe this has been discussed a million times but i cant find it..

Im getting a new phone and im looking for an inexpensive impressive gadget (going into college).. i have a touchscreen 5mp lg atm but im kinda sick of it even though i think its a decent phone.. (viewty)..

Im pretty sure im going to go for a htc this time because i cant afford an iphone and its crazy pricetag. I was looking at a hero since it has gotten such great reviews and awards and since its fairly affordable too..:) Im wondering what people think of this phone and is it worth upgrading for it, or are there better options from htc at a reasonable price? also im kind of getting confused lately with this phone because im hearing 'the new htc hero'on a few websites, i thought there was only one model of htc hero? :confused: also would ye buy off ebay?...looking for a simfree..

thanks to anyone who reads this i know its fairly long.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Im getting a new phone and im looking for an inexpensive impressive gadget (going into college).. i have a touchscreen 5mp lg atm but im kinda sick of it even though i think its a decent phone.. (viewty)..

Im pretty sure im going to go for a htc this time because i cant afford an iphone and its crazy pricetag. I was looking at a hero since it has gotten such great reviews and awards and since its fairly affordable too..:) Im wondering what people think of this phone and is it worth upgrading for it, or are there better options from htc at a reasonable price? also im kind of getting confused lately with this phone because im hearing 'the new htc hero'on a few websites, i thought there was only one model of htc hero? :confused: also would ye buy off ebay?...looking for a simfree..

Yeah the hero is probably your best option at an affordable price. It's quite old (its been around for almost a year) and it only got an update about a month ago to android 2.1, while many higher end phones will be getting a 2.2 update in the next few weeks. It is unlikely that the hero will see this update officially, but you could root your phone (like jailbreaking an iPhone) and install a version of 2.2 on the phone. There is no other types of heroes, but it is known as the g2 in some places. I have a hero, and I love it, but it can be slightly slow. I would download Advanced Task Killer from the app market to speed it up and save battery life. I would think that eBay would be an ok place to buy one, but you should look at adverts.ie, it's full of them for reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I have Hero, and it's great, but feeling a bit old and chunky now.

If you are buying a new phone sim-free, other options would be Legend about €30 more, newer, slimmer with slightly faster processor more RAM and will get official 2.2 upgrade.

The Wildfire is significantly cheaper (€130 than Hero), slimmer, has the same processor, more RAM, will get 2.2 update but does not have the same screen quality, it has 240x320 capacitive screen.

The other option would be Motorola Milestone which Expansys is trying to sell off on special offer at the moment, which has a bigger 3.7" 480x854 screen, and am not sure but think is going to get 2.2

Or you could stick with LG and get Optimus which is priced about same as Wildfire on Handtec, but has a better screen resolution

Zagato wrote: »
    I have Hero, and it's great, but feeling a bit old and chunky now.

If you are buying a new phone sim-free, other options would be Legend about €30 more, newer, slimmer with slightly faster processor more RAM and will get official 2.2 upgrade.

The Wildfire is significantly cheaper (€130 than Hero), slimmer, has the same processor, more RAM, will get 2.2 update but does not have the same screen quality, it has 240x320 capacitive screen.

The other option would be Motorola Milestone which Expansys is trying to sell off on special offer at the moment, which has a bigger 3.7" 480x854 screen, and am not sure but think is going to get 2.2

Or you could stick with LG and get Optimus which is priced about same as Wildfire on Handtec, but has a better screen resolution

I was about to get the wildfire but the horrible resolution put me off :( everything else was perfect, and the prospect of getting stock froyo OTA was tempting. Just went with the hero, basically the same phone with a better resolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ru437z9t8fidq2

i looked at the legend alright.. kinda wondered why it was so close to the hero price and that worried me for a phone that was way newer.. yeah it looks good though. I might keep an eye out for one on adverts or ebay. i cant believe ive managed to never hear of that motorolla btw since i research phones alot.. looks good but high prices :( screen big too which is a big addition for me, another reason why i might go for legend rather than hero...

i looked at the legend alright.. kinda wondered why it was so close to the hero price and that worried me for a phone that was way newer.. yeah it looks good though. I might keep an eye out for one on adverts or ebay. i cant believe ive managed to never hear of that motorolla btw since i research phones alot.. looks good but high prices :( screen big too which is a big addition for me, another reason why i might go for legend rather than hero...
    Motorola are very big in America with their Android phones (milestone, Droid etc.) They haven't really kicked off over here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tenzing

The internet has gone quite slow on my phone since the update. Any pointers on how to speed it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I'm sure people already know this but anyway, to help with the ridiculously dark photos that the hero takes in anything but a brightly lit room, turn on the camera then on the settings bar on the left open the third option and change the contrast to -2, the saturation to +1 and the sharpness to +2. The desire has these settings by default afaik. Here are two photos taken with these settings and with the default of all zeros.

attachment.php?attachmentid=123097&stc=1&d=1281169486

It's still bad in very low light without a flash but it's more usable

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Hi folks,
    I don't want to start a new thread, but my gmail has stopped syncing automatically when i connect to wifi. I have to go into menu and refresh to see if there are any emails.
    I am running stock desire with official 2.2 update. I updated a number of weeks ago when it was first released and it was working perfect until today.
    Any help appreciated.

Sorry folks, just bumping the above post for any help if possible please?

Hi folks,
    I don't want to start a new thread, but my gmail has stopped syncing automatically when i connect to wifi. I have to go into menu and refresh to see if there are any emails.
    I am running stock desire with official 2.2 update. I updated a number of weeks ago when it was first released and it was working perfect until today.
    Any help appreciated.

Hey one man!

I had a similar problem when I updated to 2.1... Turns out I had disabled the Auto-sync options I didnt know this but it was causing apps like weather and facebook to be disabled until I manually synced them

There is a widget called power control which I use now to turn autp sync on and off (also for GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi and display brightness to save power when the battery runs low) try putting this on one the home screens.

Alternatively to allow your gmail to sync you need go to

Menu> settings> accounts and sync > make sure "Auto Sync" is selected (the widget does the same)
    Menu> settings> accounts and sync > google> and make sure then "Sync Gmail" option is selected

hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Try clearing your GMail data in Settings > Applications > Manage Applications, too.

Thanks neacy and Baza.
    Auto sync was not ticked and that seems to have done the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tonyj_mc

neacy69 wrote: »
    Hey one man!
    .............Snip......

Menu> settings> accounts and sync > make sure "Auto Sync" is selected (the widget does the same)
    Menu> settings> accounts and sync > google> and make sure then "Sync Gmail" option is selected

hope this helps

thanks for that was driving me crazy after the update, weather just wouldn't up date

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Wondering if anyone has a solution to this problem I have. I recently got a Desire and then bought a bigger SD card for it. I formatted the new card and copied over all the files from the old SD card to my new one and that was fine.

Then I decided to copy music from my computer to the memory card using the USB cable. They seem to copy over but then when I remove the USB cable and look for them on the phone they're not there. Also when I plug the phone back into the computer the files are no longer in the folder I put them in(MP3 btw). The capacity of the memory card seems to be increasing as I copy the files over so it seems the files are there somewhere.

Also if I transfer the music files through bluetooth it works fine but it is much slower so would prefer not to go down that route if possible.

Any ideas anyone. It's driving me nuts and I'm trying everything, well except whatever works!!

Just to add the files seem to be going into the LOSt.Dir folder

Lost.dir is where files go if they haven't been saved to the SD card properly. Make sure you disconnect the USB properly (right click on USB icon in system tray and disconnect - don't just yank the cable!)

Clear out the Lost folder and try copying again.

I've been reading up on it and I don't have the disconnect option in the notification screen on my phone. All i can do is switch it between the options I get when i plug it into the computer in the first place so up until know i have been putting it on the charge phone option. Is there anywhere else i can locate the disconnect usb option?

I am however disconnecting properly from my computer but I see you also have to disconnect on your phone but can't seem to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to pass on the info for all those r00ted users of the excellent froydvillian ROM 1.5. It's excellent, if you want a change i would strongly recommend :)

http://www.villainrom.co.uk/vBwiki/index.php?title=FroydVillain

Froyd is fantastic. Just don't overclock (you don't need to). It is perfectly stable (and fast) at its default speed. Overclocking leads to random crashes and reboots.

I seriously need to update the original FAQ for this thread. I'll try and do some work on it over the weekend.

• Advertisement

Got froyd villain 1.5. Wondering how I can get flash 10.1 on my hero?

Advertisement