Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Forum FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    was that directed at me?

Probably me, actually. :)

I'll rewrite part of the guide this week, and ask a mod to update it at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Mr E wrote: »

I'll rewrite part of the guide this week, and ask a mod to update it at the weekend.

woops, meant to quote :)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

alright. i am just wondering if everything will work on an unlocked hero with my three sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    i have been thinking about getting an iphone but they are too expensive for me, so if i buy an unlocked hero i can just stick my 3 pay sim into it and everything will work?

Meteor's Hero isn't sim locked so yes if you were to buy that you can stick your 3 sim in and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

there are some cheap heros going on adverts, i might get one depending on when the desire comes out. anybody have a rough release date and price?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Just installed Opera 5 beta and have to say I'm finding the browsing experience to be much improved. It also seems to be lightening fast. The only thing it doesn't have is the pinch to zoom, but I don't use that anyway.
    Can't recommend it highly enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭madmoe

I installed it too but the interface just does not seem as nice as Dolphin Browser....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

madmoe wrote: »
    I installed it too but the interface just does not seem as nice as Dolphin Browser....

Must give it a go, although I have all my bookmarks organised in Opera now...

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

I have been using the factory installed HTC peep on my phone since I got it. I said I'd try out some of the many other twitter apps on the market but no matter how much I try none of them will let me log in. I have tried all the top rated apps, seesmic, twidroid, swift etc

I keep getting error messages "password or username incorrect" or "we cannot log you in at this time".
    I have installed and uninstalled them many times.

I can log into HTC peep with no issue and am using a 6 week old HTC hero.
    Any advice would be welcome

• Advertisement

Are you on Meteor?

There are issues with twitter apps on Meteor (they need to open a port needed by twitter). According to this thread, Touiteur and Twidroid both work fine on Meteor.

My OP is updated with new and updated info and FAQs (thanks Random!)

Are you on Meteor?

There are issues with twitter apps on Meteor (they need to open a port needed by twitter). According to this thread, Touiteur and Twidroid both work fine on Meteor.

I'm on Meteor..

Just tried to log into Twidroid with no luck - getting error msg..
    "could not authenticate you. Maybe your login information is incorrect or your account is locked after too many failed attempts to sign in. Please chillax for a few, then try again"

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Hey guys, i want to install villian on my hero. Will i have to re-install all my apps and change back my settings and such if i do?

If you're installing for the first time, then a wipe is recommended.
    When you install subsequent versions, you can overwrite without wiping.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Is there any way of backing up the apps, or do i just have to make a list and reinstall them?

I'm sure you can use titanium backup or something like that, but the apps are so small, it takes minutes to set them up again. Any apps you paid for (if you paid for any) are tied to your gmail account, so they show up as "Purchased" in the market and can be redownloaded very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 James.m.c

Thank god this thread was set up, the last one was pretty much a joke reading it. I'm still having alot of trouble with the 3g reception dropping, and I have lodged a complaint with meteor in the hope that they would hactually do something. Instead I'm free to end my contract and move elsewhere.

They gave up pretty easily, they would not or could not help me

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭breeno

James.m.c wrote: »
    Thank god this thread was set up, the last one was pretty much a joke reading it. I'm still having alot of trouble with the 3g reception dropping, and I have lodged a complaint with meteor in the hope that they would hactually do something. Instead I'm free to end my contract and move elsewhere.

They gave up pretty easily, they would not or could not help me

Lads, I'm in the same boat. My phone is completely dropping coverage about 3/4 times a day, pretty annoying if people are trying to ring text me. I got onto Meteor and they said there's nothing they can do apart from sending it off for repair which wont do anything as it's a network problem! I signed up to an 18 month contract in November last, cant have this issue going on like this until then. Do I have any options?

Maybe a meteor user can answer this, but can the radio be upgraded easily on one of their phones? Updating the radio can improve reception and signal quality.

Just out of curiousity, look on your phone (Settings) and find out what version of the radio is installed. It will be on the About screen, and it is called "Baseband Version" I think...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭breeno

Maybe a meteor user can answer this, but can the radio be upgraded easily on one of their phones? Updating the radio can improve reception and signal quality.

Just out of curiousity, look on your phone (Settings) and find out what version of the radio is installed. It will be on the About screen, and it is called "Baseband Version" I think...

I'm using the latest radio 63.18.55.06ju_6.35.09.26. Had the same problem with any radio I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Baza210 wrote: »
    You might want to mention that you can access paid apps if you use a SIM card from a paid-apps enabled country like an O2 UK SIM. You can then download the application over your home wifi.
    Could you elaborate on this please? I have access to an english sim card...what application do I need to download? I may root my phone in the future but for the moment, would like to try this. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Just wondering if anybody has found a radio app that can play Irish radio stations (particularly TodayFM)? I've found other radio streaming apps, but none that could play the web streams. Ideas? Thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yenwod wrote: »
    Could you elaborate on this please? I have access to an english sim card...what application do I need to download? I may root my phone in the future but for the moment, would like to try this. Thanks!

Just pop in your UK sim card and go into the Android Market place as normal (over wifi), you should be able to search for paid apps or see them under the "Just In" heading. You'll need to sign into Google Checkout using the UK number and a postcode and then you can buy apps, download and install as normal. Then when you switch back to your normal sim card they're still there. Works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭wardie101

Proxy wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody has found a radio app that can play Irish radio stations (particularly TodayFM)? I've found other radio streaming apps, but none that could play the web streams. Ideas? Thanks.

I use "A Online Radio" and it streams Today FM and Newstalk fine

I use "A Online Radio" as well but can't find 2FM and some of the others :-(

TuneWiki gets me streams of TodayFm - Great App too By the way !!

Using TuneWiki for weeks now and its the business! How do you add the streams??

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Just pop in your UK sim card and go into the Android Market place as normal (over wifi), you should be able to search for paid apps or see them under the "Just In" heading. You'll need to sign into Google Checkout using the UK number and a postcode and then you can buy apps, download and install as normal. Then when you switch back to your normal sim card they're still there. Works a treat.
    Nice!! Thank you kindly sir

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

madmoe wrote: »
    I use "A Online Radio" as well but can't find 2FM and some of the others :-(

I may be wrong but think the issue is that RTE aren't using ShoutCast which is what most of the radio apps are relying on.

Here is a link to the Irish radio stations available on ShoutCast.

Advertisement