Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

galwaytt wrote: »
    NCB: 10+ years (actually, 33 years - never had a car claim ever)
    License: Full Irish 32 years
    Car: 2006 Clio 1.2 Monaco
    Cover: Comprehensive
    Insurer: Chill.ie
    Offer: € 2500 :eek::eek:

I just checked the NCT on my car, to see how many miles I did in 12 months: 2,400 miles.

Somebody is pulling the Pi$$ at the pricing above.

I ended up going with Chill as It's4women renewal was €507 (fully comp) and I got the same from Chill for €356

NCB : full (20+ years - would be more but I was in Oz for 2 years so had to start again)
    Licence : Full Irish over 30 years.
    Car: 2010 Mini Cooper 1.6

I do eff all mileage a year.

36 year old son who has about 8 years NCB, driving a 2016 Renault Kadjar 1.6 doing a ton of mileage pays €270 fully comp.

Make no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I found that one insurer likes me on even years and another on odd years.

Company A 2015: 500 euro
    Company B 2015: 2000 euro

Company A 2016: 2000 euro
    Company B 2016: 500 euro

Etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The insurer is obviously saying "go away, we don't want your profile at any price".

Indeed, I must be the motoring equivalent of the Plague, what with my wanton carefulness.... :pac: :pac:

If the age of the car trumps all, why does my driving record matter at all ?

If, otoh, your driving record tells you about my (likely) risk, then why does the age of the car matter at all ?

It's simply ludicrous.

I went online and got a quote for the same scenario in the UK, as a yardstick : £ 204.70 full Comp.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Indeed, I must the motoring equivalent of the Plague, what with my wanton carefulness.... :pac: :pac:

If, otoh, your driving record tells you about my (likely) risk, then why does the age of the car matter at all ?

It's simply ludicrous.

I went online and got a quote for the same scenario in the UK, as a yardstick : £ 204.70 full Comp.
    Did they just pluck a figure out of their arse :-)
    Or is is that you said you never had a car claim ? did you have a claim on the bike that is throwing up a flag ? by any chance
    J

A little on the high side alright considering I changed mine to AIG this year for €350 for age 55 and 10+ years ncb on a polo which would a similar size to your clio

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

galwat TT was that a new insurance quote from chill or was that a renewal? If renewal how much was it last year?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

blade1 wrote: »
    Just spotted this.
    €50 renewal fee!
    Christ that's a good one.
    Can't really complain though as they've given me a great price for fully comp. 2 years in a row.

Screenshot-20200808-200925.jpg

Screenshot-20200808-202040.jpg

wonder could they pay it in installments :D:D

galwat TT was that a new insurance quote from chill or was that a renewal? If renewal how much was it last year?

New quote : we sold off the newer car: couldn't justify keeping it at the mileage I do.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Indeed, I must be the motoring equivalent of the Plague, what with my wanton carefulness.... :pac: :pac:

It's simply ludicrous.

It's nothing personal and you, as an individual, appear to be the ideal risk. However, other clients on their books with the same profile must have cost them dearly. Insurers are happy to throw the baby out with the bath water, if that group as a whole is losing them money over a period of time

It's nothing personal and you, as an individual, appear to be the ideal risk. However, other clients on their books with the same profile must have cost them dearly. Insurers are happy to throw the baby out with the bath water, if that group as a whole is losing them money over a period of time

Well thats just it, it should be personal.

Half your time doing a quote is after all, inputting your - personal - information.

Ode To The Motorist

Well thats just it, it should be personal.

Half your time doing a quote is after all, inputting your - personal - information.

You put all your information in and insurers allocate you in to a box with everyone with a similar profile. In that box a few (or many) other occupants are causing problems. The box gets closed.

No individual can be assessed in isolation. Its about pooling of risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

NCB : full 10+ years
    Licence : Full Irish over 20 years.
    Car: 2010 Ford Focus 1.6D
    Penalty Points: 0
    Living in Dublin 24

From Chill at €1225 to Aviva at €435.44 after phoning them (their renewal was €456)
    Just ridiculous how for exactly the same information we get such variations.

You put all your information in and insurers allocate you in to a box with everyone with a similar profile. In that box a few (or many) other occupants are causing problems. The box gets closed.

No individual can be assessed in isolation. Its about pooling of risk.

kinda reinforces my argument methinks : TheJournal.ie: Irish regulator finds 'majority' of home and car insurers charged different prices to customers with similar risk.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/insurance-industry-differential-pricing-5199871-Sep2020/

Ode To The Motorist

kinda reinforces my argument methinks : TheJournal.ie: Irish regulator finds 'majority' of home and car insurers charged different prices to customers with similar risk.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/insurance-industry-differential-pricing-5199871-Sep2020/

So you think it would be. better for the consumer if all insurers came together and agreed on the same pricing for similar risks??? We could call this group, I dunno, Cartel. Sounds good to me.

So you think it would be. better for the consumer if all insurers came together and agreed on the same pricing for similar risks??? We could call this group, I dunno, Cartel. Sounds good to me.

What, you think there isn't one already ??

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

28, 3 years NCB, 4 years driving. 2 named drivers, 1 full NCB, 1 provisional. 1.0 110hp Golf Mk7.5. €768 down from €1,067 with Liberty with multi policy discount.

Now that I have 3 years NCB I will have more options so it will be worth shopping around, but I'm quite happy with that price.

What, you think there isn't one already ??

You linked an article saying insurers quoted different prices for the same/similar risk, now you're suggesting there is a cartel. Which one is it?

You linked an article saying insurers quoted different prices for the same/similar risk, now you're suggesting there is a cartel. Which one is it?

The EU commission is investigating because of Ins co behaviour here, which seems collusory in terms of how they arrive at and treat their customers : ergo: Cartel.

Ode To The Motorist

The EU commission is investigating because of Ins co behaviour here, which seems collusory in terms of how they arrive at and treat their customers : ergo: Cartel.

You need to study that situation a little closer and let me know what conclusions they have come to after years of looking in to it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

job seeker wrote: »
    Only getting to this now. I renewed this on the 10th of October.

I stayed with whoops insurance for obvious reasons, details below. :)

Car: 07 Honda Civic 1.4 petrol

Declared Mods: None: Standard car

NCD: 7 years

Claims: None

Licence: Full 5 years

Renewal: €500 - Third party F & T and step back cover.

I thought this was a great quote so I didn’t shop around.

————

Best quote: €500 liberty insurance, through McSharry Foley broker.(whoops insurance)

Ould pair on the policy as named drivers: Mother - 3 points/no claims Father - 0 points/no claims

Cover: Thrid party F&T, Step back protection and added windscreen cover for €15

(Windscreen cover 15 euro less than last year.)

renewal €515

2019: I renewaled the same policy again for €628 with the same cover as above.

2020: Renewal 554 TPF&T

Car: 07 Honda Civic 1.4 petrol

Declared Mods: Alloy whheels.

NCD: 8 years

Claims: None

Licence: Full 7 years

All were online quotes:

Best quote: Fully Comp:945 - 2859 TPF&T:894 - 2738
    Acorn: Fully Comp:1318 TPF&T:1211
    Allianz No quote,
    AIG: Fully Comp:621 TPF&T 559
    The AA: Fully Comp:663 TPF&T:628
    Blue Insurance: No quote,
    B.O.I: No quote
    Quote Devil: Fully Comp:750 TPF&T:675
    Finally 123.ie: Fully Comp:529 TPF&T:460.

Given that my renewal was 554 for TPF&T with LIberty through Woops.ie. I went with 123 Fully comp at 529.

I'll attach a screen shot of the benefits. (I also added full no claims bonus protection at 30E)

Fully comp cover.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

DaveyDave wrote: »
    28, 3 years NCB, 4 years driving. 2 named drivers, 1 full NCB, 1 provisional. 1.0 110hp Golf Mk7.5. €768 down from €1,067 with Liberty with multi policy discount.

Now that I have 3 years NCB I will have more options so it will be worth shopping around, but I'm quite happy with that price.

So much for shopping around! Post Insurance, Kennco and so on are €1,300-1,500...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Sex: Male
    Car: 2016 VW Golf GTI PP
    Licence: 20 years
    Claims: 0

Currently with AIG, paid 490 last year with full no claims protection

All fully comp

AIG - 481 renewal, got down to 457 when I rang. Disappointed with that. Was actually 397 when I go in as new customer so considered that
    25 Plus - 409 standard/457 extra (but they were classifying it as a Golf R as it's the same insurance group, not so sure about that)
    An Post 450 (Again classifying it as a Golf R)
    Aviva - 466
    AXA - 772 (always been very high, don't know how they get business)
    FBD - 549
    AA - 456
    123.ie - 471

AA rang me a day later and got it down to 404, but they'd reduce it to 350 if I took AA membership so that came to 410 total. It seemed to have some nice benefits so I went with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Sex: Male
    Car: 2016 VW Golf GTI PP
    Licence: 20 years
    Claims: 0

Currently with AIG, paid 490 last year with full no claims protection

All fully comp

AIG - 481 renewal, got down to 457 when I rang. Disappointed with that. Was actually 397 when I go in as new customer so considered that
    25 Plus - 409 standard/457 extra (but they were classifying it as a Golf R as it's the same insurance group, not so sure about that)
    An Post 450 (Again classifying it as a Golf R)
    Aviva - 466
    AXA - 772 (always been very high, don't know how they get business)
    FBD - 549
    AA - 456
    123.ie - 471

AA rang me a day later and got it down to 404, but they'd reduce it to 350 if I took AA membership so that came to 410 total. It seemed to have some nice benefits so I went with that!

just be aware that they might automatically renew the AA membership for next year unless you cancel it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

9935452 wrote: »
    just be aware that they might automatically renew the AA membership for next year unless you cancel it

Yeah, he warned me of that, fair play to him. I put it in the calendar for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

I am sick of being ripped off by these insurance shysters, Kennco in particular. After covid hit and my wife and I both became unemployed, we decided to go down to one car, and cancel the policy after less than 4 months (we had paid in full). For at least 3 months after cancelling the policy, we were given the run-a-round Kennco saying that Cover-in-a-Click were responsible for refunds, and Cover-in-a-Click saying Kennco do the refunds. Eventually after 3 months now Kennco have said that it is not their policy to give refunds (the clause hidden in their policy documents - who can read and understand dozens of small print pages). We can complain to the regulator, but as I have found before the regulator is less than useless in dealing with one off complaints, or we can take our case to court - but with it being in their policy documents and the fact that we cant even run a second car anymore, how would we ever win a case in court. So we have decided to cut our losses and warn you that Kennco for one (but they are probably not the only ones) are not to be trusted! and I for one will never again insure through Kennco, even if they are hundreds cheaper that the next lowest. Be Warned!

Although I work in the industry, I think most people would read up on the cancellation conditions under the policy before proceeding to cancel. It's a contract, no different to your phone, broadband or Sky subscription. I'm presuming you were in the 1st year of the policy, for no refund to be issued. Insurers dont want policyholders flitting from insurer to insurer every few months. 2nd or subsequent years will probably get you a refund.

Kennco are a long established an reputable firm (not connected in any way). Your problem could easily have been avoided if you had read your policy or discussed the matter with them at the time, you might have been able to arrange suspension of your policy and save yourself some grief

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

kig wrote: »
    I am sick of being ripped off by these insurance shysters, Kennco in particular. After covid hit and my wife and I both became unemployed, we decided to go down to one car, and cancel the policy after less than 4 months (we had paid in full). For at least 3 months after cancelling the policy, we were given the run-a-round Kennco saying that Cover-in-a-Click were responsible for refunds, and Cover-in-a-Click saying Kennco do the refunds. Eventually after 3 months now Kennco have said that it is not their policy to give refunds (the clause hidden in their policy documents - who can read and understand dozens of small print pages). We can complain to the regulator, but as I have found before the regulator is less than useless in dealing with one off complaints, or we can take our case to court - but with it being in their policy documents and the fact that we cant even run a second car anymore, how would we ever win a case in court. So we have decided to cut our losses and warn you that Kennco for one (but they are probably not the only ones) are not to be trusted! and I for one will never again insure through Kennco, even if they are hundreds cheaper that the next lowest. Be Warned!

An advice I always give to people in similar circumstances - never cancel your policy. Suspend it and resume when the second policy one expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭CoBo55

grogi wrote: »
    An advice I always give to people in similar circumstances - never cancel your policy. Suspend it and resume when the second policy one expires.

That's all well and good but I'm assuming keg wanted his money back that's why he cancelled. @keg, sorry for assuming you're male..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

any advice guys on sites to look for female 30+ yrs driving +10yrs NCB clean records all the way car micra 1.2-/08, liberty keeps coming up with same 550 or so each year, seems a bit of a rip off by this stage. Not for me so dont wanna go telling person to register on 10 diff sites to see what quote they can get, given how much spam they send afterwards just for inquiry.

Wife's car

Mature but feisty lady
    Myself and 28 year old son named
    Windscreen claim during the year (Dublin junkies)
    2007 Ford Fiesta 1.4
    Comp, fully protected NCB, breakdown assistance, windscreen

Renewal with Aviva invited at €380, agreed at €350

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

scamalert wrote: »
    any advice guys on sites to look for female 30+ yrs driving +10yrs NCB clean records all the way car micra 1.2-/08, liberty keeps coming up with same 550 or so each year, seems a bit of a rip off by this stage. Not for me so dont wanna go telling person to register on 10 diff sites to see what quote they can get, given how much spam they send afterwards just for inquiry.

Two things! Firstly it's well worth shopping around and can save you many euros on renewal. Asking people which are the best insurures may not be the best for the person who you are inquiring for. Forexample: Adress, place the car is stored, annual milage amoung other things.

Secoundly, you could set up a gmail/outlook email specifically for renewal quotes. Then they don't even have to look at the emails. I got all my quotes online this year for the first time ever and I am sorry now that I didn't get online quotes past few years. For instance I made a huge saving with 123 insurance.

Advertisement