Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Playstation 5

• 20-09-2020 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Need some advice from any techies out there. Have been told by all the main shops that unless I ordered the PS5 6 months ago I wont have a hope of getting one for Chistmas. Is this true??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

As far as I'm aware that's true.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Sadly that’s true. Sony have announced they will ramp up production to keep up with demand but I honestly wouldn’t hold out hope.

If you look at all previous consol launches by Sony the same thing happens they launch for Christmas with many stores not regaining stock until February.

My advice is to get your name down on as many preorder lists as possible on the chance Sony stick to their word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

I got extremely lucky and got a PS4 from Power City the Christmas they were out. They announced they had a shipment in and it was first come, first serve so keep an eye on all retailers social media when they launch. Hope you get sorted :)

ETA- littlewoods sign up page says more stock coming soon so could be worth a look every day so you don't miss out :)
    https://www.littlewoods.com/playstation-5-sign-up.page

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Eli1

Thanks so much. New to all of this and will be more prepared next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Eli1 wrote: »

Sony said more stock will come before Christmas but this will vanish as soon as it appears so watch smyths website and amazon. Amazon are unhelpfully not posting to Ireland for PS5 so you should have a parcel motel account already setup in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Amazon are unhelpfully not posting to Ireland for PS5 so you should have a parcel motel account already setup in advance.

This is excellent advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Follow this thread on boards:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057973277&page=280

Lots of people posting info about pre-orders etc when they find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭touts

Heard my son and some of his mates talking about it (all 12-13). Their common verdict (based on YouTube reviews they have all watched) was don't buy it this year as it is too big and doesn't have enough memory or games.

I was never so relieved in my life :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The below pablum is me trying to keep it brief.

Size wise not going to change much in the next 2+ years.
    The storage on them is likely to stay the same for a longer than that maybe, the PS5 and new Xboxs use a different type of storage that's more space efficient and added to this both console are going to allow adding in storage. In the case of the Xbox it looks just like an old fashioned memory card. You won't need this at first in either case.

Biggest thing for parents to know is on the games, most games for the older consoles will work on the new ones with some improvements and a lot of games if you buy the PS4 version and put that in a PS5 it downloads the PS5 version with even more improvements. With people playing on PS5 being able to play with those on PS4 for most multiplayer games, same for Xbox.

Big warning, there's a version of both consoles without a disc drive so if they've got games on disc from the current consoles those obviously won't work on a console without a disc drive. PS5 and PS5 discless are €500 and €400 and other than the disc are the same. Xbox Series X has a disc drive and is €500, and the Xbox series S is a cut down version that again doesn't have a disc drive and is €300.

Main point to know is that any game with mentioned exceptions that they (ie you) buy over the next year will be fine and they'll still be able to play with friends for the most part if they stay with the current console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

setup an alert here https://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-ps5-playstation-5-console worked wonders for me a few years back trying to get a snow glow elsa!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Loughc wrote: »
    Sadly that’s true. Sony have announced they will ramp up production to keep up with demand but I honestly wouldn’t hold out hope.

If you look at all previous consol launches by Sony the same thing happens they launch for Christmas with many stores not regaining stock until February.

My advice is to get your name down on as many preorder lists as possible on the chance Sony stick to their word.

Loughc - do you know if your stores are getting any ones in for sale on launch day?

kitten_k wrote: »
    Loughc - do you know if your stores are getting any ones in for sale on launch day?

Nothing officially announced yet at our end sadly. The official line is information is coming soon.

I think alot of retailers are haggling with Sony for shipments, etc.

kitten_k wrote: »

Keep an eye too on the Boards PlayStation 5 forum, if their is a whiff of an available pre order one of the boardsies will post about it there

Need some advice from any techies out there. Have been told by all the main shops that unless I ordered the PS5 6 months ago I wont have a hope of getting one for Chistmas. Is this true??

More Playstation 5 consoles available from tomorrow at smyths at around lunch time, just seen a tweet from them there, no specific time just lunch time. Online Only!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Eli1

More Playstation 5 consoles available from tomorrow at smyths at around lunch time, just seen a tweet from them there, no specific time just lunch time. Online Only!

Thanks so much

Managed to get one on Smyths just now, thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Got one eventually to click & collect in Smyths Derry store. Irish site kept bombing out until out of stock. No sign of it in other retailers as yet.

0lordy wrote: »
    Got one eventually to click & collect in Smyths Derry store. Irish site kept bombing out until out of stock. No sign of it in other retailers as yet.

Amazon and Argos UK held their pre-order early this morning. Curry's UK launched theirs at 12, but the queue was madness, I was placed over 20k in the queue!!

I was doing my online grocery shopping on tesco.ie and saw they have page to express interest to pre-order a PS5 and Series X:

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/expressinterest/

You will need to log in first and then that link will work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

Hi guys, I'm a bit late to the party went to smyths today hoping to pre order one and he told me that they are all sold out! He told me that he doubts they will get anymore in before Christmas that gamestop over sold their pre orders and now the.re there customers they cant guarantee it ... I taught I'd have loads of time... he just said to check website on launch day...

You could try argos the night before it comes out. Apparently the console can go on sale anytime the night before it comes out after closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cunny000

Does anyone know of stock becoming available anywhere soon?

cunny000 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of stock becoming available anywhere soon?

Just keep an eye out at the usual suspects like Smyths, Argos, gamestop etc. PS5s are still thin on the ground unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cunny000

Will do, thanks!

Advertisement