Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SanDisk 128GB Ultra Micro SD Card (SDXC) UHS-I A1 - 100MB/s €14.20 mymemory uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Suckit wrote: »
    SanDisk 128GB Ultra Micro SD Card (SDXC) UHS-I A1 - 100MB/s is £12.98/€14.20 on mymemory UK
    https://www.mymemory.co.uk/sandisk-128gb-ultra-micro-sd-card-sdxc-uhs-i-a1-100mb-s.html

Not the fastest delivery, I think my last two took about two weeks each.

I hope this isn’t a stupid question but could I use this as a back up my SSD MacBook drive. Ie could I have it plugged in to my mCbook and toggle between the SSD which is only 256 GB. And I’d be using the SD card to manage my photos which at the moment is using a lot of my memory.

My question is I suppose is what’s the difference between this and an external SSD. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

This isn't an SSD at all - it's an SD card. Not too familiar with the newer MacBooks but I don't think they have SD card readers built in, so, while you could in theory use one to manage and store your photos on, you would require a card reader (like this)

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

FLOOPER wrote: »
    I hope this isn’t a stupid question but could I use this as a back up my SSD MacBook drive. Ie could I have it plugged in to my mCbook and toggle between the SSD which is only 256 GB. And I’d be using the SD card to manage my photos which at the moment is using a lot of my memory.

My question is I suppose is what’s the difference between this and an external SSD. Thanks

Yes you could use it as an additional storage source for your photo's. The external SSD would be much much faster for accessing the data. The SD card has a transfer rate of 100MB/s, most SSD'd would be circa 500MB/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Just a word of warning...

after I completed my purchase it tried getting me to fall for this one...

Click here to claim your £16.87 cash back on your next MyMemory order!
    By clicking above, you can join our
    partner programme for 15 pounds/month
    and claim your reward.

Note the "for 15 pounds/month" small print.
    So you then subscribe to pay Gb£15 a month, likely for vouchers to other sites, a rip off that really makes me worry about how MyMemory is selling out its customers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

and claim your reward.

So you then subscribe to pay Gb£15 a month, likely for vouchers to other sites, a rip off that really makes me worry about how MyMemory is selling out its customers.

That’s there a good while now.

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »

Yeah they've had some sort of incentive like that in their order confirmation mail since at least 2009 according to my emails. They used to not state what the fee was until you clicked through in the link too.

Stupid people following through on that probably keep MyMemory prices down so I'm glad it's there! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Gumbo wrote: »

Possibly my first time using them so I was surprised.
    I remember seeing some consumer protection program on BBC warning about those sort of schemes.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/10/beware-costly-online-cashback-schemes/

Not impressed with the practice at all but just warning others your not signing up with my memory.co.uk for cashback/discount and probably would need to spend X pounds to get it. So avoid the trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Possibly my first time using them so I was surprised.
    I remember seeing some consumer protection program on BBC warning about those sort of schemes.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/10/beware-costly-online-cashback-schemes/

Not impressed with the practice at all but just warning others your not signing up with my memory.co.uk for cashback/discount and probably would need to spend X pounds to get it. So avoid the trap.
    If memory serves (sorry...) I recall this scam happening a couple of years ago when you were just checking out after buying RyanAir tickets, too. It made it sound like it was from Ryanair but it wasn't. RyanAir denied they knew anything about it and said that they were not sharing your info with anyone. My impression was that the scam operators had found some way to know that you had just completed a purchase (and maybe knew nothing about it apart from the company name) and then created a "loyalty discount" popup on the fly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

and claim your reward.

They can't pull the wool over your eyes

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

FLOOPER wrote: »

bennyx_o wrote: »
    This isn't an SSD at all - it's an SD card. Not too familiar with the newer MacBooks but I don't think they have SD card readers built in, so, while you could in theory use one to manage and store your photos on, you would require a card reader (like this)
    Yes you could use it as an additional storage source for your photo's. The external SSD would be much much faster for accessing the data. The SD card has a transfer rate of 100MB/s, most SSD'd would be circa 500MB/s.

All good points. But one other factor to consider is that a micro SD card would be much more prone to failure than a decent quality SSD. It's worth investing in an SSD for a photo storage imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

All good points. But one other factor to consider is that a micro SD card would be much more prone to failure than a decent quality SSD. It's worth investing in an SSD for a photo storage imo.

Why bother with the SSD at all though if all the drive is being used for is photographs and is going to be external anyway*. I have an SSD internally for operating system etc but not infrequently used storage.

If they are shooting in RAW the space will fill up fast so a normal hard drive might make more sense.

I might be out of touch as don't use usb 3/apple connectors much

Advertisement