Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cross Country Training Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Open event in South Kilkenny this Sunday if anyone's interested...

https://register.enthuse.com/ps/event/StSenansACCrossCountry

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Cancelled.

Dublin Athletics Board Cancellations - Message from Cecil
    Following the Government announcement and advice from Athletics Ireland this evening, I regret to inform you that the Juvenile Cross Country League 1 scheduled for this Sunday 20th September is CANCELLED and as these new restrictions are in force for the next three weeks the Juvenile League 2 and Novices scheduled for the 4th October is postponed until further notice.
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank Lusk A.C., Fingal County Council and others for all their efforts and hard work in the past few weeks which unfortunately cannot now be realised.
    Whilst accepting this decision will come as a great disappointment to us all and in particular our young athletes, we must accept and understand it is in the best interests of the health and wellbeing of us all.
    We will continue to plan for future competitions and will endeavour to keep you updated.
    On behalf of the Dublin County Board.
    Take care and keep safe.
    Cecil Johnston
    Juvenile Competition Secretary

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mylesforsmiles

MY BAD wrote: »
    It's a great race. Enjoy the playground :D

Playground was interesting today. Very good testing course. Excellently organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭omicron

Cork county xc going ahead, details went up today, novice first off 4th October, senior the following week then masters and lastly intermediate.

Chip timing and limited entries by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

If someone was coming off a decent level of fitness and decided, 2 weeks out, that he was going to lace up his (still new) XC spikes for the first time ever, is there anything in particular he could do or that he needs to know before race day. Asking for a friend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Duanington

healy1835 wrote: »
    If someone was coming off a decent level of fitness and decided, 2 weeks out, that he was going to lace up his (still new) XC spikes for the first time ever, is there anything in particular he could do or that he needs to know before race day. Asking for a friend. :)

Maybe tell your friend to find a field, run some unstructured fartlek stuff around it first ? Just to get a feel for the surface and shoes etc

Also, your friend could try one or two of their sessions on the grass over the course of those 2 weeks

Also, also - if your friend was in the kind of shape you're in, I'd say to back him\herself and be brave from the start, backing themselves to finish strong and pick people off ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Butterbeans

omicron wrote: »
    Cork county xc going ahead, details went up today, novice first off 4th October, senior the following week then masters and lastly intermediate.

Chip timing and limited entries by the looks of it.

Looking similar for Kildare county xc. 4th and 11th of Oct dates announced but no further details yet.

Duanington wrote: »
    Maybe tell your friend to find a field, run some unstructured fartlek stuff around it first ? Just to get a feel for the surface and shoes etc

Also, your friend could try one or two of their sessions on the grass over the course of those 2 weeks

Also, also - if your friend was in the kind of shape you're in, I'd say to back him\herself and be brave from the start, backing themselves to finish strong and pick people off ;-)

This is spot on.

Definitely forget the watch - it might take a few attempts to dial into the effort that'll work for you but the watch will only hinder you. Some people can go hard from the gun all way round and for others (including me) you might need to be a bit more measured. After a few races, you'll have figured out what works for you.

Cross-country racing doesn't suit everyone but marathon training definitely gives you a strength advantage in xc. I think the biggest difference from road racing or marathon running is the constant changes in pace - concertina effect going into/out of corners, changes in elevation, courses cutting up, etc. Which is why a few fartleks or training on the xc course helps.

Sacksian wrote: »
    This is spot on.

Definitely forget the watch - it might take a few attempts to dial into the effort that'll work for you but the watch will only hinder you. Some people can go hard from the gun all way round and for others (including me) you might need to be a bit more measured. After a few races, you'll have figured out what works for you.

Cross-country racing doesn't suit everyone but marathon training definitely gives you a strength advantage in xc. I think the biggest difference from road racing or marathon running is the constant changes in pace - concertina effect going into/out of corners, changes in elevation, courses cutting up, etc. Which is why a few fartleks or training on the xc course helps.

Very accurate summary of what xc is like and the effort levels required.

I had no interest for my first 5-6 years of running (was fixated on marathons) but I've done lots of xc over the past 2-3 years and I've loved it.

Very different running experience and a serious buzz imo.

• Advertisement

Very accurate summary of what xc is like and the effort levels required.

I had no interest for my first 5-6 years of running (was fixated on marathons) but I've done lots of xc over the past 2-3 years and I've loved it.

Very different running experience and a serious buzz imo.

I'm always trying to convince people to do xc and I still haven't quite accepted that some people just aren't into it.

It's just a different buzz to everything else, especially if you're in a club and you have the team aspect.

A lot of the season usually clashes with the preparation for and recovery from the various Autumn marathons so there might be a few people making the transition like you did and getting the chance to embrace the mud this year!

I'm always trying to convince people to do xc and I still haven't quite accepted that some people just aren't into it.

It's just a different buzz to everything else, especially if you're in a club and you have the team aspect.

A lot of the season usually clashes with the preparation for and recovery from the various Autumn marathons so there might be a few people making the transition like you did and getting the chance to embrace the mud this year!

Very true. Hard to twist the arm of fellow club runners to do xc. Hopefully this year will be different though. Team aspect is a brilliant idea. Castlegar xc got decent numbers last Saturday so that looks like a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurelian

Any general first time XC race advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Set the bar low lol, don't kid yourself that it's gonna be like a road race etc, it's alot more physically demanding, like your running with lead weights on your feet, when you eventually stumble over the finishline the main feeling is usually relief that it's over and a good sense of achievement, that's as positive as you can hope for in my view ha, fun/enjoyment etc etc, they don't even come into the equation and shouldn't, its not what xc is about haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Aurelian wrote: »

From personal experience the main difference between road & x country is you get lapped during a x country race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Aurelian wrote: »

If you are coming from a road running background or longer distances ease into the race. There is a tendency to go from the gun for most people and alot get sucked into going out too fast. If you don't do alot of shorter distance stuff this will come as a shock to the system so you are better of working through the field as you will see carnage of those who went out too fast later in the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭joe35

Don't think cause you can race 10k on the road I can do 8k CC no problems.

It's a big difference. Just start of handy enough and enjoy it. I find CC far more enjoyable, you're not watching your time. You're just emptying the tank and enjoying the race.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurelian

Thanks for the advice. It was my 1st race in any running discipline and I hadn't run in 4 months, so, was glad to manage under 21 minutes. Really eager to actually train for it now and see if I can improve.

KSU wrote: »
    If you are coming from a road running background or longer distances ease into the race. There is a tendency to go from the gun for most people and alot get sucked into going out too fast. If you don't do alot of shorter distance stuff this will come as a shock to the system so you are better of working through the field as you will see carnage of those who went out too fast later in the race.

I'm torn between this approach...and the complete opposite; flat out for 2 Miles and try to cling on! Race is 'only' 4k... :)

I'm torn between this approach...and the complete opposite; flat out for 2 Miles and try to cling on! Race is 'only' 4k... :)

What distance is the race?

I'd back you to finish strong but I'd also back most people that fly out of the traps to fade towards the end, usually sooner than they think they might.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭joe35

Cross country is a different animal, while adrenaline and pure thickness will push you on on the road, in xc you'll just want to die.

My advice for anyone in there first race would be take it steady and try finish strong. It's like uphill all the way. If you go hard for the first k and then have 5 or more tough Kms after that you're in trouble.

Let us know how you get on and best of luck

Or even 3k, still tough, you'll get it hard to do 2 miles flat out xc

4k sounds very short. If it was 6k, I'd go with the original advice but I'm not sure people will be coming back to you quickly enough over 2.5 miles to benefit from a conservative start. Maybe treat it like an aggressive 5k race: hard out, hold on and try to go again if you can.

The other confounding variable is that xc distances can be a little inexact. In which case, you could be looking at anything between 3 and 5k!

Duanington wrote: »
    What distance is the race?

I'd back you to finish strong but I'd also back most people that fly out of the traps to fade towards the end, usually sooner than they think they might.

4km DD :) Venue and course are new so not entirely sure of what awaits...

4km DD :) Venue and course are new so not entirely sure of what awaits...

Balls out it is so :pac:

In all seriousness, it probably depends on the course and conditions - 4km does seem very short alright but I suppose you have to keep the conditions in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Louth novice this weekend, 6km of bliss. I need a week of rain, going yielding at tge moment with plenty of grass on the course. no hill though :(

I got a new pair of nike cc spikes, some strange looking spikes on them, feel great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Aim not to finish last...... anything better than that is a bonus :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭token56

For anyone interested in the Leinster XC Championships

https://athleticsleinster.org/2-uncategorised/238-leinster-xc-2020?fbclid=IwAR1NsMzmv8zfLrkrUe2-pNSF8v7meXg4PUd1QaO3cWuBmxENhc6DkJIhcVg

It is a pity that there will be no spectators allowed but it will still be great if it can go ahead. However I presume if Dublin (or any other county) is still on Level 3 lockdown then they will not be able to take part.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Really enjoyed the return to racing yesterday. I did my county's novice. Looks like that's the end of it with increased restrictions. What a shame as return to athletics from what I have seen has gone extremely well.

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the return to racing yesterday. I did my county's novice. Looks like that's the end of it with increased restrictions. What a shame as return to athletics from what I have seen has gone extremely well.

It's great to see how well the athletics competitions have been going, including the track & field stuff during the summer.

But hard to know what the rest of the winter will bring. I'm hopeful that, there'll be a decent chance of some sort of xc competition season, even it's after Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

But hard to know what the rest of the winter will bring. I'm hopeful that, there'll be a decent chance of some sort of xc competition season, even it's after Christmas.

All XC fixtures have been cancelled in Tipperary under the present guidelines

Advertisement