Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

App based gsm dialler

Options
  • 28-09-2020 4:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭

I would like to have a single switch output to energise a relay remotely. A simple gsm dialler or an app controlled one knowing the state of the remote switching better again.
    Any Irish sellers online doing this stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭con747

Not sure if these would have what your looking for but I buy stuff here and a wide selection. https://ie.farnell.com

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

What is the application?
    Very frequent or rarely triggered?
    Critical that it always works?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

It’s just bringing on electrical heaters in a warehouse where I have vintage cars. It’s a contractor it needs to energise thanks.

Xtrail14 wrote: »
    It’s just bringing on electrical heaters in a warehouse where I have vintage cars. It’s a contractor it needs to energise thanks.

Understand.

Maybe something like the below. It has SMS confirmation.

Obviously take great care using electric heating unattended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Senders-Opener-Remote-Control-RTU5024/dp/B01CKXSJRU

Incidentally, electric Ireland were offering an FOC or low cost ‘Climote’ unit which would suit your application. Might be worth a check. It was being offered as an incentive for customers to remain with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is there WiFi available?

• Advertisement

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Understand.

Maybe something like the below. It has SMS confirmation.

Obviously take great care using electric heating unattended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Senders-Opener-Remote-Control-RTU5024/dp/B01CKXSJRU

Incidentally, electric Ireland were offering an FOC or low cost ‘Climote’ unit which would suit your application. Might be worth a check. It was being offered as an incentive for customers to remain with them.

It would need to have a meter and be a residential unit. It’s not free, EI are claiming a grant for doing it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

ted1 wrote: »
    Is there WiFi available?

That can be an option to install broadband have no issue with that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If you have broadband a simple and cheap solution is to install a Sonoff device.

It would need to have a meter and be a residential unit. It’s not free, EI are claiming a grant for doing it

When you say it would need to have a meter? I don’t understand?

They supplied and fitted one in my house and also my office building, which is commercial. It was offered as part of a deal in entering into a 12 month contract for electricity. I wouldn’t rate the device particularly highly - but it was free! That was last November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea the sonoff devices would do that.

• Advertisement

Xtrail14 wrote: »
    That can be an option to install broadband have no issue with that.

If there is broadband than a Sonoff would be the best option

Several options, this one May suit you best.
    https://sonoff.ie/sonoff/66-100-sonoff-th10th16-temperature-and-humidity-monitoring-wifi-smart-switch.html

If there is broadband than a Sonoff would be the best option

Several options, this one May suit you best.
    https://sonoff.ie/sonoff/66-100-sonoff-th10th16-temperature-and-humidity-monitoring-wifi-smart-switch.html

Sonoff is great, but broadband would typically cost the better part of €600 per year, so the whole thing gets very expensive if it was been installed for this purpose alone.

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Sonoff is great, but broadband would typically cost the better part of €600 per year, so the whole thing gets very expensive if it was been installed for this purpose alone.

Or as low as 36 euro. If you stick a Vodafone V Sim into a WiFi dongle. Keep the plugged in. With little traffic the V Sim should be ok.
    Or for 8 euro with a 48 Sim which would allow a camera for security

Or even if you want landline Sky or similar is 30 a month. 360 isn’t near 600

Advertisement